The Street Fighter Thread.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

TheShend

The Street Fighter Thread.

Post by TheShend » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:15 am

Righto i'd better start.

I'm very, VERY much into the beat-em-up Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike. I can bore you stiff with it infact. However there's no time to be bored because this game is the business end, top of the pile BOSS of current 2D fighters.* It's still even played competitvely across the world today and is seeing a renewed ineterst.

Now to get a sense of the infectous excitement this game generates please direct your browers to this google video and tell me that didn't stir something up inside you?! That was JPN player Daigo taking apart a keep away Chun Li *boo*
Whilst something very similar occurred at one of the regular London Ranking Battle's recently as well. swish 8)

What the hell did I just see?

The parry ladies and gentlemen, the parry. You press forward the moment before you get hit, you parry. Giving you a split-second advantage to counter and a little meter. Risky. To do it multiple times like in the video you have to press forward at a rythmn roughly half the speed of the move as it would land normally. That sounds complicated but it isn't beyond anybody with a little applied practice and patience.

Now for a plethora of more video's and suitable links take a perusal in here and in general here and here.

With the advent of the 15th Anniversary Capcom knocked out Street Fighter Annivesary Collection containg all the SFII's in a big mish-mash called Hyper Street Fighter II Anniversary but unlike the PAL PS2 version included SFIII:3rd Strike as well with LIVE play for the xbox.**
So if you do fancy a course in Strikeology with a bit Kenomics and ultimately the way-of-the-unblockable then there's a good number of chaps over at greenhillzone and rllmuk for gamertags ^_^

If your near manchester there's also an arcade with this game amongst others 8)

I could go on and on and on about other stuff like brillaint new characters etc. but that's for another day. I know Strider and some of the GamesTM team got into this so hopefully the love flourish :P

In other news, KOF XI is looking completely tasty with the new chap Oswald, he's like a Gambit with the card thing from Xmen but too cool. Duck King is insane and the Garou cast like Gato are also in there.

Garou: Mark of the Wolves is another title up there I dearly enjoy, some of the characters are fantastic, Freeman much MUCH better than SFIII's similarly looking Remy. Tizoc/Griffon is also a top banana, that P 720 move? Painful.

Spread the enthusiam for the other fighters even the 3D one's if Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter and even Dead or Alive float you particular boat.

*With respect, all the other beat em ups offer plenty fun and depth and everyone will have their favourite but this title and this alone introduced a game where the emphasis on techincal skill wasn't paramount. Instead with the parry, it shifted away from being able to produce the longest string of moves to keep someone in a block/corner trhoughout the match, break your guard meter, infinite juggles and 100% combo's. It's now 50/50 with your own personal mind games. If, like other fighters do, you repeat yourself with combo's a
Last edited by TheShend on Thu May 29, 2008 3:45 pm, edited 7 times in total.

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:26 am

And this is my main character..Q He's my avatar as well when the come on ;)

:wub:

Ben

Post by Ben » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:22 am

Im with you on Garrou: Mark of the wolves. By stripping the game away to the basics, they created one of the most refined and perfectly tuned games i have ever played.
Also KOF 2002 is possibly my favourite fighter, even though its really cluttered. It was the 1st snk fighter id owned since Fatal Fury on the megadrive (my 1st ever non wrestling fighter!). Again i think in general SNK's characters are the most refined, if you ignore Ryu that is...
I kind of prefer Streetfighter alpha 3 to Streetfighter III tbh, but i may now run and hide as im in the minority :wink:

Im really looking forward to the Fist of the north star 2d fighter thats coming out. i'd kill for a DC conversion, buy thats not going to happen so it looks like its time to get my ps2 import ready

Ive not really got the attention span to learn a fighter properly, the only one i managed was X-men vs Streetfighter. At some point though i WILL master parrying!

EDIT: That streetfighter vid is class!!

TheShend

Re:

Post by TheShend » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:10 pm

Ben wrote:Im with you on Garrou: Mark of the wolves. By stripping the game away to the basics, they created one of the most refined and perfectly tuned games i have ever played.
Agreed. Systems like the T.O.P meter you could vary yourself, the False Supers (superb feint idea) and Just Defend. Excellent and varied system features which make the game significantly different enough yet still stamped with SNK style.

Characterisation was strong as well, i'm really quite suprised at how different each of them play and how all are worth your time to play. Managing Rock's 13hit P super was magic, so weighty with impact ^_^
Ben wrote:Also KOF 2002 is possibly my favourite fighter, even though its really cluttered. It was the 1st snk fighter id owned since Fatal Fury on the megadrive (my 1st ever non wrestling fighter!).
I haven't, for my sins, played a KOF for any real length of time but it's something i'll be thinking of getting into when time allows! KOF XI looks set to be great fun based on the match vids i've seen so far, Duck King and Oswald impressing most 8)
Ben wrote:I kind of prefer Streetfighter alpha 3 to Streetfighter III tbh, but i may now run and hide as im in the minority :wink:
The Alpha games were great, i sort of cut my teeth on the first one on the saturn. Unlocking the Drammatic Battle mode and going against what seemed like an 8star difficulty M.Bison with me uncle was immense.
Alpha 2 was great as well with the new characters but i missed Alpha 3 only playing it breifly from me uncle :(

I suppose I prefer SFIII to Alpha is because Alpha seems less dangerous or more without consequence. Air blocking for example, there's no air blocking in SFIII so now you have to consider jumping in, as it can lead to heavy consequences. You can air parry though ^_^ But now Alpha feels assisted if you can see what i mean. :)
Ben wrote:Im really looking forward to the Fist of the north star 2d fighter thats coming out. i'd kill for a DC conversion, buy thats not going to happen so it looks like its time to get my ps2 import ready
Fist of the North Start does look very good, same chaps who do Guilty Gear isn't it? My only concern is that the animation won't match the visuals. From one of the demonstraion matches one of the fighter's removes a robe from his back and flings it away, it was abit disappointing to see it have around 4 frames of animation and jarr against the wonderful anime visuals. You just have to look at the way Urien/Gill and even Dudley's jacket come flying in with no animation spared. The game's also got somethign like 4 meters???? I'll wait and see ^_^
Ben wrote:Ive not really got the attention span to learn a fighter properly, the only one i managed was X-men vs Streetfighter. At some point though i WILL master parrying!
It comes and when it does your laughing!! :D

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:47 pm

Although I've stopped playing it on Live, I'm now getting the chance to hammer one of the 360 guys every lunchtime :lol:

Ben

Re:

Post by Ben » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:01 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:Although I've stopped playing it on Live, I'm now getting the chance to hammer one of the 360 guys every lunchtime :lol:
As this is your site, i wont make a joke out of that :D

Out of intrest, is SNK vs Capcom any good? I can get it for a tenner new, and its a reason to invest in a ps2 saturn pad

P.s. TheShend, you read my mind. Without airblocking im an easy kill. I dont like relying on hadokens, even tho i know you can atack following them in. My weakness hes been revealed

Darran@Retro Gamer

Re:

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:04 pm

Ben wrote: Out of intrest, is SNK vs Capcom any good? I can get it for a tenner new, and its a reason to invest in a ps2 saturn pad
Hmmm, I got to be honest with you, but I didn't really warm to it. The animation is extremely rough and the characters just don't appear to be that well balanced. I'm sure the shend can offer more info ;)

Ash

Post by Ash » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:37 pm

I'll second that. The backgrounds are dull, everything looks washed out and the whole thing just doesn't play as slick as I would like.

Stick to both Capcom Vs SNKs or SNK Vs Capcom on the NGPC.

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:28 pm

SNK vs Capcom for the price is worth a laugh. It's broken to the point of brokingdom but well, what you gonna do? It's sorta like Capcom Fighting Jam as well, it's worth it for a laugh and a carry on like.

However, it is hilarious, the redrawn SFII cast are great, Dhalsim is top and even Hugo looks the business and you wouldn't believe Bison :lol:

Take a peek in here for an eyefull of a few characters.

There's Violent Ken, a metal slug alien and even god pops up for dust up. I think it's worth it just for all characters, backgrounds, bizarre mouthing off and all the crazy moves. Demitri can turn every one of the cast into a lady, ever seen Hugo as a woman? It's WRONG :lol:

Don't get me wrong, it's not a patch on other stuff where sprties, animaton and balance is concerned. But for a tenner? Might as well.

Ben

Post by Ben » Thu Dec 01, 2005 7:02 pm

Do you know what, you've sold it to me! It might have to wait a bit so i can get the pad and the game at the same time, and i cant see them selling out of the game so that's not a problem
Those sprites look fantastic, it really puts capcom to shame in some respects, especially given the hardware it was built on.

I love these kind of off beat fighters. Vampire saviour and Pocket fighter get played about once every month or so, and Match of the millenium (neo geo pckt) was a daily play for about 3 weeks till monday.
Thanks i think i'll pick it up

Jakeway

Post by Jakeway » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:43 am

Nice one, if you have XBL feel free to 'jump in'
I love Q, but I am not very good with him. So I go for Dudley. He is just liquid cool. I’d go as far as to say the coolest character in a beat em up.

Think Chris Eubank, but with more style. His dad lost the family fortune and had to sell his estate. Gill acquired his dads Jaguar at an auction. This prompted Dudley to enter the SF3 tournament and earn back the car and his lost assets.

Some Win Quotes:
Despite your manners, I like your style. Let me buy you a drink...
Even a spectator needs to be sharp to comprehend the grace of boxing!
Fight like a gentleman... Live like a gentleman!
Learn to fight with class! Self-respect breeds discipline!
Not very articulated, are you? Work on your movements, chap!
To win with prestige and glory is a sensation like no other!
UK Arcade Database isn’t going to work without support.

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:24 am

If anyone's interested, you SHOULD BE!!, there's a new Japanese ranking battle out. It's a torrent but comes down very quick :D

Click ---> 2nd RB 167MB @ 34m30s

Click --->1st RB 187MB @ 38m45s

These probably are the best standard of play you can see apart from some very good US players out there.

Go nuts.
Last edited by TheShend on Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

muse hunter

Re:

Post by muse hunter » Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:37 am

TheShend wrote:SNK vs Capcom for the price is worth a laugh. It's broken to the point of brokingdom but well, what you gonna do? It's sorta like Capcom Fighting Jam as well, it's worth it for a laugh and a carry on like.
To be honest all neogeo games feel out of place when they move from their host hardware. I enjoyed snk v capcom on the neogeo, however playing the ps2 version its a bit 'meh', the same goes for every neogeo port whether its on the saturn, DC or ps2 they seem to lose a bit of that snk magic during the transition.

Totally agree with mark of the wolves- best fighter ever!, the neogeo plays host to some of the best 2D fighters in exsistance, waku waku 7, kof 99, matrimelee, double dragon, i could go on forever.

TheShend

Post by TheShend » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:11 am

There's a 2on2 Makoto/Dudley vs Yang/Alex* match up.

There's a great final match between the Dudley and Alex player, very tense. Seeing Alex pull back from what looked like a sure loss into a win was nice. The way he baited the Dudley player to do the uppercut by jumping straight up next to him and then parrying it off was excellent. If he'd of missed that parry it was over >_<

*Click or Save Target As.

Nobody else watch the RanBat's? There's phenominal Twelve player in the 2nd one along with some fabulous combacks from a Chun Li mirror match ^_^ GO Go go!!

Kaede

Post by Kaede » Thu Dec 08, 2005 6:42 am

I went off of 1 on 1 beat 'em ups when they introduced all the crazy rage bars and 10 death moves per character bullshit. There's just too many moves to remember and the games end up degenerating into button mashing affairs. I've got SF3 and it seems great (I like the way the gameplay goes back to basics, 1 rage move etc.)but I have no-one to play against as most of my mates just play GTA/Prince of Persia type adventure games. For me 1 on 1 fighters are all about the 2 player mode and if there's no one for me to play against then these games loose their appeal (for me anyway).

Anyway, shmups >>>> btmups ;)