Point blank/Time crisis

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Fred83

Point blank/Time crisis

Post by Fred83 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:17 am

These where two fun games i used to regularly play on the playstation.It was amazing to see crisis been ported to the playstation.Yes it was watered down graphics,but it had the game play.With namco even throwing in an PS exclusive mission.

Point blank another arcade port was fun with exclusive rpg and unique stages in the ps port.

What's your memory of both?.
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Roo

Re: Point blank/Time crisis

Post by Roo » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:43 am

They're all great games. I hooked up the old PSX (as in the first edition Playstation from the mid 90s) so I could play Point Blank with the GCon 45 just a couple of months ago.

Word of warning: avoid the DS update of Point Blank. There's hardly anything there by comparsion to the PS version.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:02 am

Never liked TC, mainly cos I play gun games to shoot not hide. In my opinion though, as far as arcade gun games go nothing has ever beaten Op Wolf/Thunderbolt (and yes I know they're not 'true' gun games!). Having recoil in the gun makes a MAJOR difference
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:15 am

I loved playing both Time Crisis and Point Blank. Good job too as iirc the Time Crisis + gun pack cost in the region of £50-£60 back then! I still own them and the light gun... but unfortunately no longer own a CRT TV to play them on. :(

Of the two I by far preferred Time Crisis. Point Blank was a lot of fun but its cutesy looks reminded me too much of kiddie Nintendo games.

I do have the Time Crisis 4 + G-Con 3 pack and Time Crisis: Razing Storm for my PS3 nowadays though. :D
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

The Mask Seller

Post by The Mask Seller » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:22 am

After having been seriously disappointed with 'light-gun' games on the Wii I got myself a couple of G-Con 45s, Time Crisis and Point Blank 1,2 and 3. I think they're probably the best light gun games available at home, lots of fun, challenging and rewarding as you can't blame the guns if you're not accurate enough, calibrate them right and they're pixel-perfect. Not like on the Wii where I found no matter what I did (in terms of settings/set-up) the pointer was always off-centre and laggy, even worse when put in a Zapper or Hand Cannon peripheral. I also like House of the Dead 2 and Confidential Mission on Dreamcast.
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:27 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Never liked TC, mainly cos I play gun games to shoot not hide. In my opinion though, as far as arcade gun games go nothing has ever beaten Op Wolf/Thunderbolt (and yes I know they're not 'true' gun games!). Having recoil in the gun makes a MAJOR difference
You'd like Gunblade NY then. So much recoil your hands go numb if you play too long. A fave of Mrs Ant's.

Point Blank is a quality gun game, lots of variety in there to keep things fresh over repeated play.

Like Marv, I'm not so keen on the hiding games, it dilutes the shooting action. Fun in moderation though.

If you like Point Blank, you may also enjoy Ghoul Panic

There's a surprising number of PS1 gun games.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:48 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Never liked TC, mainly cos I play gun games to shoot not hide. In my opinion though, as far as arcade gun games go nothing has ever beaten Op Wolf/Thunderbolt (and yes I know they're not 'true' gun games!). Having recoil in the gun makes a MAJOR difference
^^^^This.Ever since i 1st played Op.Wolf (with big cheesy grin on my face), for myself it's all about spraying hot death in all directions.Recently tried Op.Wolf 3 on mame (just in time-PC died soon after) and found it very dissapointing-Original still the best.

Never really got into T.Crisis at the time, though eyed-up the PS3 game (in Pre-Move days, when it came with the gun and again the Move edition).What are they like? Any other gun games on PS3 worth looking at? (or, indeed 360).

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:40 am

Time crisis on the PS1 just didn't look right, the hardware was just not up to it. Point blank was more fun in two player and had more long term appeal. I never played time crisis on the PS2, it looked much better but I'd lost interest in it by then.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:43 am

I thought Time Crisis guns had recoil? I remember some good recoil when using a machinegun in Time Crisis 3 or 4 in the arcades.

Anyway, love both of Namco's lightgun games though I've never bought the home conversions for some reason. Will have to put that right :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:45 am

I really like the Playstation port of Time Crisis, I go back and play it every once and a while. Compared to 2, 3 and 4 the final boss feels somewhat harder which I like, actually feels more challenging than the sequels which is probably one reason why I still enjoy playing it. Other than that the exclusive mission was very nice, different routes/endings meant I replayed that quite a bit as well.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Mr.Saturn

Post by Mr.Saturn » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:48 am

Roo wrote: Word of warning: avoid the DS update of Point Blank. There's hardly anything there by comparsion to the PS version.
I think you're doing a disservice to an otherwise very, very good game that utilizes the DS' assets to the fullest. It also manages to be somewhat reminiscent of the originals whilst still providing something relatively new.

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:28 pm

Megamixer wrote:
I thought Time Crisis guns had recoil? I remember some good recoil when using a machinegun in Time Crisis 3 or 4 in the arcades.

Anyway, love both of Namco's lightgun games though I've never bought the home conversions for some reason. Will have to put that right :)
I still got the third party recoil gun for the PS1 after I was initially disappointed with the original gun-con.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:45 pm

It's very dificult to get decent recoil in guns that aren't 'mounted' in fixed positions. I can't ever remember playing a gun game in the arcade that had recoil and WASN'T fixed.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:50 pm

resident paul wrote:I still got the third party recoil gun for the PS1 after I was initially disappointed with the original gun-con.
Did any other PS1 light guns feature that pass-through-port thingy the G-Con had which, iirc, helped improve the device's accuracy?
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

retromania

Post by retromania » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:29 pm

Still play tc2 on the ps2 really good especially when you have 2 ps2 linked up :D