Flashback QFI - Best Version?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darth Martious

Re: Flashback QFI - Best Version?

Post by Darth Martious » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:10 am

Am I remembering this incorrectly, but in FtB didn't you have to crouch to fire?
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to an ASS-KICKING!

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:30 am

Had the Amiga version as a kid and now have it on the SNES. Hadn't noticed anything particularly wrong with the SNES version - it's perhaps marginally slower than the others but then it's a pretty slow, thoughtful game anyway so that doesn't make a huge difference. Mind you, it's been a while since I played it on any other format so maybe I'd notice more differences if I played the MD/Amiga version again.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

RetroReserve

Post by RetroReserve » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:30 am

Darth Martious wrote:Am I remembering this incorrectly, but in FtB didn't you have to crouch to fire?
You can fire whilst standing or crouching.

I have Flashback for both the MD and Jaguar. I think they both play pretty much the same although I haven't played them side by side so there may be some differences I am not aware of.

I did rent the sequel back when it came out without realising it had anything to do with Flashback. I remember not liking it though. May have to give it another chance some time.

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:13 am

Limbrooke wrote:
necronom wrote:This bit doesn't make sense to me. What has MS DOS got to do with the Amiga?

I played it on the Amiga and loved it, but I don't know if any other version is better. I expect not (from my point of view), as console versions will use joypads, so I wouldn't be able to play them.

I don't know what QFI means either. Is that a different game? I only played the original Flashback.
To quote wikipedia:
"In the Amiga version, the user can see these scenes by enabling them (although with few seconds of delay every time the animations load)"
These scenes are present in the DOS version and are on by default without loading. QFI is just Quest for Identity the subtitle for the game in the US/Canada market.
crusto wrote:Personally I've only ever played the MD and snes versions, and the snes version quite briefly. From what I remember the MD version wee'd all over it. The snes version seemed rather sluggish to play. The same can be said for another world, but the other way round! As for the other versions, you tube is a good bet.
You mean to say Another World/Out of this World is preferred on SNES over Genesis?
Yep, I loved the SNES version but when I played it on the MD I couldnt get on with it at all. The SNES version was far better imo.

Eat your nans pants

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:15 am

Talking of Flashback, wouldnt that be a fine candidate for a HD remake. It could be called Flashback the directors cut or something and have loads of additional levels, as well as the original ones. All done in glorious 2d hd!

It would be a thing of beauty, it still is now imo. Stood the test of time really well.

Eat your nans pants

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:01 am

RetroReserve wrote:
Darth Martious wrote:Am I remembering this incorrectly, but in FtB didn't you have to crouch to fire?
You can fire whilst standing or crouching.

I have Flashback for both the MD and Jaguar. I think they both play pretty much the same although I haven't played them side by side so there may be some differences I am not aware of.

I did rent the sequel back when it came out without realising it had anything to do with Flashback. I remember not liking it though. May have to give it another chance some time.
:? You never complete Flashback? Only reason i ask, intro for Fade To Black, picks up basically where Flashback ending left off.

Cauterize

Post by Cauterize » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:11 am

IronMaidenRule wrote:Out of the two version I have played, I have preferred the Amiga version.
As much as I want to agree with you after having owned it on the Amiga back in the day, the controls are a real let down. Flashback is ultimately a 2-3 button game which makes playing the Amiga version a real chore. Too many times have the Prince-Of-Persia-Style jumps stolen lives from me due to the lack of precise controls.

aschamberlain

Post by aschamberlain » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:30 pm

I loved Flashback on the Mega Drive and enjoyed Fade To Black on the PC. I've only played Another World for a few minutes on my cousin's Atari ST. They're some of the best games ever IMO, but have only played the versions quoted above. I don't think there's a game on the Mega Drive that I enjoyed more than Flashback (maybe Shadowrun).

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:19 pm

I've got to vote for the MD version.

It was the only game that me and my SNES owning mate at school both owned, and could compare. Even he prefered the MD version.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:53 pm

Best version of Flashback is easily the Jaguar version, no contest.

It has all the FMV parts from the CD versions plus extra colours, better animation and stereo sound. There was a topic about this game on another forum some time ago and the Jag version beat out the 3DO for best version there.

andyc

Post by andyc » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:42 pm

I had it on the SNES back in the day, great game though it did feel a tad sluggish. Never played it on other formats, so I can't say whether they were any better in that regard. I also had Fade to Black on PC, great game but let down a lot by the really annoying camera. It did feel like one of those games that was forced into 3D before it was really good enough to justify it. I'd love to see HD remakes of both on 360 now, I suggest a sequel even but I honestly can't remember all that much of the plot anymore depsite having completed both in the past.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:03 pm

stvd wrote:I've only ever played the MD version and it's one of my favourite MD games ever. Fantastic.

Severely dissapointed when I bought the follow up on PS1 (Fade to Black).
I wanted more of the same - 2D - but with lots more worlds to explore. :(
Same, loved the MD version, the only one I played though.

I did quite enjoy Fade to Black though, guess the 3D novelty hadn't worn off for me at that stage! :lol: Looking back at it now...I was sure it looked more spectacular than that!

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:18 am

Amiga for me, as it was the first version I ever played back in the day. Absolutely loved it, even though the control method took some getting used to. I do like the MD version, mainly for the controls, but it still plays as good. Mind you, I've still to this day to complete it :oops:
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:03 am

Amiga version is the best.

BF Bullpup

Post by BF Bullpup » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:37 pm

The SNES and Genesis manuals had a short black-and-white comic, produced by Marvel Comics no less, explaining Conrad's situation before his escape bike got shot down by the bad guys in the opening cinematic. I've only played the SNES version but the censorship were minimal, such as covering up alcohol references. Nothing different from how Nintendo minimally censored games at that time. It's too bad Delphine went under as they made several great games. I wonder if anyone owns the rights to Flashback so a proper 2D sequel to it could be produced? Or at the very least the abandoned DS port of FB2 could be completed?

The SNES versions had slowdowns in both the gameplay action (especially when you need to use the gun, so be warned) and cinematics that shouldn't have happened for a console of that caliber. I have the game now and to be honest the slowdowns don't ruin the game too much so go ahead and get it if you don't have a different console.