Flashback QFI - Best Version?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Limbrooke

Flashback QFI - Best Version?

Post by Limbrooke » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:58 pm

I realize this may have been covered in RG the couple times Flashback had an article but I am not at home and besides, I'd like further insight into which is the best version to dig into and why.

I heard some praise for Genesis/MegaDrive while some hold up that Amiga is best (despite some loading when enabling the cutscenes from MS-DOS) and also hearing the SNES version is censored. So, any input is welcome. Have at you!
'We have awakened the terrible destructor....'

crusto

Re: Flashback QFI - Best Version?

Post by crusto » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:10 pm

Personally I've only ever played the MD and snes versions, and the snes version quite briefly. From what I remember the MD version wee'd all over it. The snes version seemed rather sluggish to play. The same can be said for another world, but the other way round! As for the other versions, you tube is a good bet.

Eat your nans pants

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:12 pm

Out of the two version I have played, I have preferred the Amiga version.

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:13 pm

Limbrooke wrote:...while some hold up that Amiga is best (despite some loading when enabling the cutscenes from MS-DOS)
This bit doesn't make sense to me. What has MS DOS got to do with the Amiga?

I played it on the Amiga and loved it, but I don't know if any other version is better. I expect not (from my point of view), as console versions will use joypads, so I wouldn't be able to play them.

I don't know what QFI means either. Is that a different game? I only played the original Flashback.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:18 pm

necronom wrote:This bit doesn't make sense to me. What has MS DOS got to do with the Amiga?

I played it on the Amiga and loved it, but I don't know if any other version is better. I expect not (from my point of view), as console versions will use joypads, so I wouldn't be able to play them.

I don't know what QFI means either. Is that a different game? I only played the original Flashback.
To quote wikipedia:
"In the Amiga version, the user can see these scenes by enabling them (although with few seconds of delay every time the animations load)"
These scenes are present in the DOS version and are on by default without loading. QFI is just Quest for Identity the subtitle for the game in the US/Canada market.
crusto wrote:Personally I've only ever played the MD and snes versions, and the snes version quite briefly. From what I remember the MD version wee'd all over it. The snes version seemed rather sluggish to play. The same can be said for another world, but the other way round! As for the other versions, you tube is a good bet.
You mean to say Another World/Out of this World is preferred on SNES over Genesis?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:35 pm

Limbrooke wrote:To quote wikipedia:
"In the Amiga version, the user can see these scenes by enabling them (although with few seconds of delay every time the animations load)"
These scenes are present in the DOS version and are on by default without loading.
You're confusing two different versions here.
What that is saying is there are cut scenes which are optional in the Amiga version, but enabling these will cause a slight delay (presumably there's a disk access while it does it).
It then says the (PC) DOS version also features these cut scenes but doesn't suffer from the delays of the Amiga version.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Darth Martious

Post by Darth Martious » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:37 pm

The MD version for me. If only for the MD's joypad. I played it again recently - I actually bought it on release for the MD - and it's a lot buggier than I remember, with some really dodgy collision detection and passable walls.
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to an ASS-KICKING!

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:50 pm

I've played MD, SNES and very recently iOS versions and would say the MD version was my favourite. I don't think the SNES version was particularly worse but it was a long time between playing the game on the different systems. Didn't the SNES version come out a quite a while after the MD and Amiga versions? Perhaps it was a lazyish port....

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:19 pm

I've only ever played the MD version and it's one of my favourite MD games ever. Fantastic.

Severely dissapointed when I bought the follow up on PS1 (Fade to Black).
I wanted more of the same - 2D - but with lots more worlds to explore. :(

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:24 pm

stvd wrote:I've only ever played the MD version and it's one of my favourite MD games ever. Fantastic.

Severely dissapointed when I bought the follow up on PS1 (Fade to Black).
I wanted more of the same - 2D - but with lots more worlds to explore. :(
Agree, that Fade To Black was a pile of censored, I tried on the PC and the controls were awful!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:28 pm

:oops: I quite liked Fade To Black. Had it on PS1, frustrating at times and the space craft shoot'em section i'd have done without, but played to the end.

Anywho, Flashback, also came out on MCD, 3DO, CD-i (better sound, FMV for cutscene stuff etc, i seem to recal), also Atari Jaguar (although only saw running on promo.video tape, think music differed from MD version).So plenty of formats to choose from.

Played MD version from start to finish (shamed lot of MCD games at the time), seemed to make great use of the hardware, so that's where i'd go.

Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:53 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:You're confusing two different versions here.
What that is saying is there are cut scenes which are optional in the Amiga version, but enabling these will cause a slight delay (presumably there's a disk access while it does it).
It then says the (PC) DOS version also features these cut scenes but doesn't suffer from the delays of the Amiga version.
There's nothing to confuse when I compare what is said between Amiga and DOS versions. The Amiga version has slight loading during cut-scenes, the DOS version does not. There's no confusion pardon the first person to quote me being confused themselves, which apparently wasn't clear enough when I followed up the first time.

As per topic, so far it seems the MD/Genesis version is the early leader. Thanks for the info thus far.

RMLF

Post by RMLF » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:37 pm

thevulture wrote::oops: I quite liked Fade To Black. Had it on PS1, frustrating at times and the space craft shoot'em section i'd have done without, but played to the end.

Anywho, Flashback, also came out on MCD, 3DO, CD-i (better sound, FMV for cutscene stuff etc, i seem to recal), also Atari Jaguar (although only saw running on promo.video tape, think music differed from MD version).So plenty of formats to choose from.

Played MD version from start to finish (shamed lot of MCD games at the time), seemed to make great use of the hardware, so that's where i'd go.
We only got the Demo for the MCD version in Pal land, For whatever reason it wasnt a full release over here
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

stvd

Post by stvd » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:20 am

thevulture wrote::oops: I quite liked Fade To Black. Had it on PS1, frustrating at times and the space craft shoot'em section i'd have done without, but played to the end.
I did finish it, purely because I liked the character and wanted to see how the story continued/ended?
I just wanted more of the the same really that the MD version had given me.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:07 am

stvd wrote:
I did finish it, purely because I liked the character and wanted to see how the story continued/ended?
I just wanted more of the the same really that the MD version had given me.
Know what your saying, given the 2D power of the likes of the Atari Jaguar and Sega Saturn for example, Fade To Black could have been something very special had developers decided to stay on that path.

However 3D very much seen as the in-thing at the time, i was'nt surprised to see sequel move to 3D.