"Good" Rugby games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Fishsta

Re: "Good" Rugby games

Post by Fishsta » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:51 am

Onto the 16-bit era...

On the Megadrive, EA released ARL '95...

On the Amiga (and PC), Audiogenic released Wembley Rugby League, regarded as one of the best Rugby games released ever.

Also, Rugby League Coach. A demo was given away with Amiga Action, and I thought it was great, but we're back to management sims again:

Otherwise, the 16-bits were a little barren...
ImageImage

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:55 am

Onto the MS-DOS era, and things get brighter very quickly.

If you want a fun Rugby game, this one is the one you REALLY want. Alternative Software's Super League Pro Rugby. I have a copy of this still, sometimes fire it up on the old laptop. It's THAT good.

EA picked the ball up again with International Rugby League, but I've never played this one.

There's also one for mobile phones:

And on the PSP:
ImageImage

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:00 am

AND FINALLY... right up to date now with Sidhe/Alternative and co, Australian developed games, starting with Rugby League for the PC, PS2 and XBox:

Updated with Rugby League 2 a year or two later:

And last year Rugby League 3 exclusive to Wii, and some say the best Rugby game ever made:

Also last year, Rugby League Live on the PS3 and XBOX360. Played this in a league online, as long as you don't play against people on the other side of the world, it's DAMN good fun.
Sorry, have to make this screenshot a link.
ImageImage

merman

Post by merman » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:24 am

Codemasters' Rugby Simulator was terrible, as was Domark's "official" World Cup Rugby.

I really liked World Class Rugby by Denton Designs/Audiogenic on the C64, I played the demo that was on Commodore Format's covertape to death. The game also has a clever action replay facility allowing you to save memorable tries to disk. There is an Amiga/ST version but I've not played it.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:26 am

DPrinny wrote:Shoulder buttons for passing, one for kicking/tackling/rucking (You never do all that at the same time) one for a dash.

Not that complex control's wise
I dunno, sounds pretty complex to me. For me, a decent Rugby game would need to put you right in the game. Watching a bunch of sprites wobble around from the standard "tv" side on view just wouldn't cut it. It would almost have to be in first person perspective, certainly for some parts. The game would really be broken down into a bunch of minigames and would have to seamlessly shift between them.

You know, I think the problem is that all the rugby games I've played have been beaten into the Fifa mould, when really Rugby isn't much like football. If anything, it is much more like Madden, without all the stopping and starting.

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:41 am

Another vote for Jonah Lomu Rugby from me. Found it a really good game of rugger, with added hilarious commentary. "He digging in like a demented mole!" :lol:

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:50 am

I don't think I agree with you there. Certainly about the first person mode *shudders* but I think the better rugby games generally do involve some forms of mini games and are right to be sticking to "TV mode". Take Jonah Lomu for example (as it's all I've got at the moment) all the major set pieces in the sport (lineouts/rucks/scrums/kicking) involve some form of mini game but it in general flows well. IIRC Rugby 2006(?) even had the Maddenesque pick a set piece option, could be mixed up with another game though for my sins!

Without getting into a which code is better in the real world debate, as far as games go I think the fewer "complexities" through want of a better word is why Rugby League games sometimes get the edge. No lineouts, no rucks, uncompetetive scrums (for the most part) and a finite amount of tackles before a turn over make it slightly easier to program and capture right on game.

---

favaurite commentary line for me was always the exagerrated "Coooooooooooheeen!" every time you got the ball to Ben Cohen, he could be running into trouble inside his own 22' and there was still that excitement.

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:12 am

Having spent a significant part of my childhood being dragged against my will to watch Bedford Blues, as well as witnessing my brother and his 'rugby mates' participate in such activities as running around naked, dipping their penises into drinks and holding empty pint glasses on top of their heads, I'm not sure I can ever look at a rugby game objectively.

But, if I were to try, I'd say the EA 1995 World Cup game was pretty decent. Think there was a Domark one too that was quite fun.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:18 am

che_don_john wrote:Having spent a significant part of my childhood being dragged against my will to watch Bedford Blues, as well as witnessing my brother and his 'rugby mates' participate in such activities as running around naked, dipping their penises into drinks and holding empty pint glasses on top of their heads, I'm not sure I can ever look at a rugby game objectively.
lol, yeah, being half Saaf Effrican, I had Rugby beaten into me from birth. I fought against it for most of my teens, but eventually succumbed to it in the end. I love Rugby now :mrgreen:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:47 am

theantmeister wrote: You know, I think the problem is that all the rugby games I've played have been beaten into the Fifa mould, when really Rugby isn't much like football. If anything, it is much more like Madden, without all the stopping and starting.
With out all the padding and rules that make more sense.
Rugby is manly.
American football seems a bit like puffy rugby

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:50 pm

Fishsta wrote: And last year Rugby League 3 exclusive to Wii, and some say the best Rugby game ever made:
For anyone trying to find this, I found it MURDER to find. Obviously, RL is barely played in Scotland, so I went to Warrington to get it; £45 in Gamestation.
No Wii game I have ever seen has been £45.
Eventually, it appeared in the Dundee GAME (how, I'll never know) for £15 new. Bought it immediately (and have hardly played it :().

EDIT: Looks like it's still £40 on Amazon.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:07 pm

DPrinny wrote:Rugby is manly.
American football seems a bit like puffy rugby
Yep of course.... considering pulling on the face mask of another player is the only real foul that gets called... for everything else... anything goes near enough, the majority of penalties are called for fouls on players without the ball, if you have the ball..... run.... fast

American football seems to have this reputation of being soft because the players wear padding.... they need it.... I think it was someone on here who described it as violent chess.. and it's about right.

Rugby is for men who like to touch each other..... manly... like...

As for rugby games, World Class Rugby on the C64 would be my pick

BF Bullpup

Post by BF Bullpup » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:28 pm

As a rugby player in the States, the only rugby union games I've been able to play were Rugby 06 and 08 for the PS2. A friend of mine prefers "Rugby" (05 I guess) over 06 and we still go at it in 08 because EA haven't made a new rugby game since. I would recommend 08 if you have a PS2 as you can make offload pass when you are tackled, although the controls could stand some improving. Not in the spirit of this forum, but I'm dying to get my hands on the new RWC 11 game for the PS3.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:15 am

Played the PS3 demo of it... it's pants. I'm not just putting it down because I'm a League fan and League's the superior code, I genuinely mean it. It's awful. Side-on viewpoint (What's THAT about?), awful but simplistic controls and RIDICULOUSLY EASY.

It's like the whole essence of Rugby (both codes) has been simplified down to "pass to the side, run or kick". No tactical kicking, no cut-out passing, no dummies, no gameplay.

Rugby League Live is so far ahead it's out of sight.
ImageImage

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:31 am

Two new "Rugger" games out in the next few weeks?

You wait ages for one then two come out at once.

Might give them a rent