The Best GBA games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GigaPepsiMan

Re: The Best GBA games

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:22 pm

Astro Boy Omega Factor is one of the most polished games on the GBA, I've never really watched astro boy buit Treasure was able to take the licence and creat a game with a compelling story as well as addactive fast paced gameplay.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:44 pm

Being a big rpg fan, I think the Fire Emblem and Advance Wars games are absolutely brilliant and compelling.

And a game that has not been named... Lunar Legend, a classic style rpg, interesting characters, beautiful graphics and music... splendid.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:14 pm

mario and luigi, mario vs dk
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

resident paul

Post by resident paul » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:20 pm

Konami's Arcade Advanced + special code to unlock the special update 3 of it's games.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:22 pm

Hmmm...most of my favourite games have been mentioned, FFTA, Fire Emblem and Advance Wars in particular. I'd say a few notable omissions so far would be:

Shining Soul
Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon
Sword of Mana
Tales of Phantasia

(you seeing a pattern here :wink: )

oh, and:

SuperMarioBall. a fab little pinball game that always seems to be criminally overlooked, for some reason.
Last edited by nokgod on Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:23 pm

Bomberman Tournament.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:28 pm

I do need to play Astro Boy, but apart from that none of those mentioned so far have thrilled me. Here's two that have:

SEGA Arcade Gallery - near-arcade-perfect conversions of Space Harrier, Super Hang-On, Out Run and Afterburner. Okay so they're lower res, Space Harrier doesn't have the sped-up sections on level 4 etc., there's only one colour each of mushrooms and toadstools on level 3, you can shoot any part of the dragons, not just the head, there's an odd sort of auto-aim thing going on, and After Burner is just as unplayable and random as the arcade game, but these are nit-picks of an otherwise fantastic package.

Iridion II - Superb shooter that uses a vastly superior version of Axelay's into-the-screen Mode-7 pseudo-3D effect to pull off a gorgeous vertical shoot-em-up on a wide aspect screen. The original Iridion was an unremarkable into-the-screen 3D shooter where your craft constantly obscured the view ahead, but the sequel was one of the finest looking shoot-em-ups ever seen on a portable system.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:32 pm

Broken Sword!! How the hell did they fit such a fantastic game onto a cart that small!

Nautical Rudie

Post by Nautical Rudie » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:36 pm

gotta have doom, mario kart and tony hawks.
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:50 pm

Nautical Rudie wrote:gotta have doom, mario kart and tony hawks.
Doom was on the SNES :wink:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:52 pm

Though I'm partial to a bit of Qwak on the old GBA too :wink:

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:53 pm

joefish wrote:I do need to play Astro Boy, but apart from that none of those mentioned so far have thrilled me. Here's two that have:

SEGA Arcade Gallery - near-arcade-perfect conversions of Space Harrier, Super Hang-On, Out Run and Afterburner. Okay so they're lower res, Space Harrier doesn't have the sped-up sections on level 4 etc., there's only one colour each of mushrooms and toadstools on level 3, you can shoot any part of the dragons, not just the head, there's an odd sort of auto-aim thing going on, and After Burner is just as unplayable and random as the arcade game, but these are nit-picks of an otherwise fantastic package.

Iridion II - Superb shooter that uses a vastly superior version of Axelay's into-the-screen Mode-7 pseudo-3D effect to pull off a gorgeous vertical shoot-em-up on a wide aspect screen. The original Iridion was an unremarkable into-the-screen 3D shooter where your craft constantly obscured the view ahead, but the sequel was one of the finest looking shoot-em-ups ever seen on a portable system.
Just ordered Sega Arcade, thanks for the reminder and Iridion II is indeed bloody excellent.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:54 pm

nokgod wrote:
Nautical Rudie wrote:gotta have doom, mario kart and tony hawks.
Doom was on the SNES :wink:
Hardly a SNES port though. :P
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

maineieg

Post by maineieg » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:54 pm

i think the sonic games should be included because whilst team sonic were doing their best to kill him on the home console, the handheld variations have allowed the blue one to keep some dignaty.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:07 pm

I would be crazy if I didn't mention Golden Sun and Golden Sun: The Lost Age first and foremost - every RPG lover should own those two games!

Advance Wars was quite a good game,as was Sonic Advance.

Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire were a good laugh too!

Fire Emblem 6, 7 and 8 were fantastic games, shame 6 never got released over here after the huge success of the prequel set 7!

PSN username - MartinPhantom