Best emulators

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

C=Style

Re: Best emulators

Post by C=Style » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:33 pm

FatTrucker wrote:
C=Style wrote:
DanWelsh86 wrote:Zsnes is clearly the better Snes emu, followed closely by Snes9x.
Snes9x overtook Zsnes quite a while ago. The last Zsnes build is over four years old, whereas Snes9x is still a very active project, it's come a long way in the past year or so. Snes9x is the best Snes emu bar none.
Bsnes is the most accurate 1:1 Snes emulator out there. Knocks everything else into a cocked hat in terms of accurate emulation. ZSnes is pretty good but is one massive hack job, the compatibility isn't brilliant. Snes9x sits neatly between the two.
Yeah very true, Bsnes is certainly the most accurate, but is very system intensive, that's fine if you are only concerned with PC emulation and have the hardware to deal with it (might rule out laptops/netbooks) and it's useless for console emulation (which allows true RGB output on CRT 240p for the perfect look). The sound cores in both Snes9x and Bsnes use the same accurate hardware sound emulation, tbh you would be incredibly had pressed to tell any difference in performance between Snes9x and Bsnes, that's the only reason I say Snes9x is the best as it's more versatile and it's accurate enough, but technically Bsnes is better. Zsnes is still a good emu but I wouldn't use it as it has bad sound, low compatibility in comparison etc.

DanWelsh86

Post by DanWelsh86 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:51 pm

Zsnes is more stable though, and more user friendly.....hence why I use it, unless there is an issue and i'll use Snes9x. As for the sound, it doesn't really make much difference to me, especially through the laptop speakers.

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:51 pm

Darth Martious wrote:If you're interested in emulating PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 or the PC-FX, I can recommend Magic Engine. It costs £10, so isn't free like most other emulators, but it's very well done.
If you want to emulate just the PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16, Ootake is a very good emulator for free.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:19 pm

I got Snip, its a commercial product - FT Magic Engine off FatTrucker a while back. If anybody else wants it, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you too.

stvd

Post by stvd » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:26 pm

DanWelsh86 wrote:Zsnes is more stable though, and more user friendly.....hence why I use it, unless there is an issue and i'll use Snes9x. As for the sound, it doesn't really make much difference to me, especially through the laptop speakers.
Yeah, I'm Zsnes too. Have used Snes9X too though.
Tried Bsnes after reading about it here and immediately got rid of it! :?

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:56 pm

^ Did you run the SNES roms through the "purify" app? You MUST do this first - BSNES is very fussy!

PaulEMoz

Post by PaulEMoz » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:13 am

Is WinUAE the most user-unfriendly emulator out there? I know the Amiga is a bit of a tricky beast, but someone else set mine up for me (he knows what he's doing, unlike me!), but will it let me actually do anything? Will it hell! Anything I load up gets to the "Cracked by" screen, and then I'm stuck because it doesn't appear to recognise anything I press, be it mouse, keyboard or gamepad. And yet, when I hit F12 and go through the options, there they are... and they're all recognised when I test them.

Anyone got any ideas? Pretty please?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:17 am

I'd love to see how fantastic games for a Vectrex emulator would look on PlayStation Vita's large sized high res brilliant OLED screen. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:22 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:I'd love to see how fantastic games for a Vectrex emulator would look on PlayStation Vita's large sized high res brilliant OLED screen. :D
There's some potentially groovy stuff going on in Mame at the mo since they added support for HLSL, one of which could lead to realistic looking vectors (finally). Stands to reason if it goes into Mame it will go into MESS which will make a massive difference to the look of the Vectrex stuff. :D
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:37 pm

FatTrucker wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:I'd love to see how fantastic games for a Vectrex emulator would look on PlayStation Vita's large sized high res brilliant OLED screen. :D
There's some potentially groovy stuff going on in Mame at the mo since they added support for HLSL, one of which could lead to realistic looking vectors (finally). Stands to reason if it goes into Mame it will go into MESS which will make a massive difference to the look of the Vectrex stuff. :D
Wow, thanks for posting that news. I sure hope it works out as I suspect simulated/emulated vector graphics on the console's OLED screen would look rather special indeed. For some reason it amuses me that as a retro-head and a Vectrex owner I'm probably just as exited at the potential prospect of seeing this happen on PSV as I am about playing the system's official games!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:16 pm

PaulEMoz wrote:Is WinUAE the most user-unfriendly emulator out there? I know the Amiga is a bit of a tricky beast, but someone else set mine up for me (he knows what he's doing, unlike me!), but will it let me actually do anything? Will it hell! Anything I load up gets to the "Cracked by" screen, and then I'm stuck because it doesn't appear to recognise anything I press, be it mouse, keyboard or gamepad. And yet, when I hit F12 and go through the options, there they are... and they're all recognised when I test them.

Anyone got any ideas? Pretty please?
F1 or left click usually gets you through those sorts of things.

I know what you mean though. For me it was working out exactly what kind of Amiga each game wants and then setting those options up. At least WinUAE has a GUI and you can save configs. You used to be able to download ready-baked config files from ADF abandonware sites. Dunno if any are still around, mind.

Hooray for Google - turns out BTTR is stil going. Just search for the game you want to play an you'll see a UAE config file for it.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:38 am

Liamh1982 wrote:I got Snip, its a commercial product - FT Magic Engine off FatTrucker a while back. If anybody else wants it, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll send it to you too.
Yes I have Magic Engine too, a very well put together emu, but one of the first emulators I've seen on the Internet that wanted you pay for it. Still worth it though.

I played a bit of Operation Wolf on it yesterday. I think OP Wolf on the PC Engine has to be the best home port of that game ever. Much better than the Amiga and ST versions, which while they had the graphics they don't quite have the speed.

starbucky

Post by starbucky » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:55 pm

Do you guys only use win computers to emulate or other devices as well? In the past I used a XBMC 1st gen Xbox for MAME emulation and a DC too. Now I'm really enthousiastic about my Caanoo. Anybody using this or other opensource handhelds as well? I emulate CPS, NeoGeo, Mame, SNES, NES, GB(C), GBA, and MegaDrive on it for now. On one 16GB SD-card. Which is completely loaded with games.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:06 am

starbucky wrote:Do you guys only use win computers to emulate or other devices as well? In the past I used a XBMC 1st gen Xbox for MAME emulation and a DC too. Now I'm really enthousiastic about my Caanoo. Anybody using this or other opensource handhelds as well? I emulate CPS, NeoGeo, Mame, SNES, NES, GB(C), GBA, and MegaDrive on it for now. On one 16GB SD-card. Which is completely loaded with games.
I mainly use my PSP and PS3 for emulation now, though i have my Xbox 1, i've misplaced my cat5 cable and its a pain finding places to burn to dvd so the others are easier to access!
I only use my PC for some MAME that the PS3 is too slow to run, Sega Model 1, 2 and wii/gc emulation...

I did own a Pandora handheld, gutted i had to sell it last year to get some money, have had a look at the Caanoo but to be honest there's not a lot more than can run on it than the PSP can't, plus I'm reading about tearing problems in Picodrive etc etc

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:37 pm

Yape for the Commodore 16 and Commodore Plus/4. No question. The most easy to use, the most functional and the most compatible. I record all my Youtube longplays on it 8)