Best emulators

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DanWelsh86

Re: Best emulators

Post by DanWelsh86 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:03 pm

Zsnes is clearly the better Snes emu, followed closely by Snes9x. Project64 for Snes, and NullDC for Dreamcast. NO$GBA for a bit of Gameboy and Gens for the Megadrive. Haven't tried Dolphin for GC yet and Saturn emulation made me lose the plot in frustration. As long as you have a 2gig + CPU P64 will be fine, it's more CPU dependent than GPU, which differs from the last Generations (PS2 etc) emulators.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:03 pm

sscott wrote:Break key!
Gottya! Cheers :D

Ok so now I know how to pause the emu and bring up the menu. I've also sussed out how to change disks. Just need to know a bit more about resolutions and joystick buttons on the ST.

Once I've done this I'll have a look at Mr Sugars wonder and then the Speccy!

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:12 pm

DanWelsh86 wrote:Zsnes is clearly the better Snes emu, followed closely by Snes9x. Project64 for Snes, and NullDC for Dreamcast. NO$GBA for a bit of Gameboy and Gens for the Megadrive. Haven't tried Dolphin for GC yet and Saturn emulation made me lose the plot in frustration. As long as you have a 2gig + CPU P64 will be fine, it's more CPU dependent than GPU, which differs from the last Generations (PS2 etc) emulators.
I will take a look at a few of those. I use Kega Fusion for the MD as it also emulates the Master System, GG, 32X and Sega CD.

I've tried Dolphin a Nintendo GC and Wii emu and it needs a bit of a monster machine to get running. I managed to load Burnout 2, but I could only get 25fps @ 640x480 no matter how much I played with the settings. It does look great though. I'll stick with the 8, 16 and 32bit generation for the most part, much easier on the hardware.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:59 am

MattyC64c wrote:On games that may use more than one fire button what is the default and can I change it, like use A and B on my 360 pad?
There's no default for a second fire button on the ST, its a single button joystick system. Due to this for convenience its often mapped to the space bar but its far from a standard.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:43 pm

Instead of trying out some more 8-bit computers I jumped back into the N64 with Project 64. Wow! Of course I just had to play Goldeneye. Wow! It runs great. I'm running it in 1360x768 with 4x AA, looks fantastic! I haven't downloaded any plug-ins, the built in ones seem fine, and it works fine with my 360 pad.

What games are a must for the N64?

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:56 pm

MattyC64c wrote:
DanWelsh86 wrote:Zsnes is clearly the better Snes emu, followed closely by Snes9x. Project64 for Snes, and NullDC for Dreamcast. NO$GBA for a bit of Gameboy and Gens for the Megadrive. Haven't tried Dolphin for GC yet and Saturn emulation made me lose the plot in frustration. As long as you have a 2gig + CPU P64 will be fine, it's more CPU dependent than GPU, which differs from the last Generations (PS2 etc) emulators.
I will take a look at a few of those. I use Kega Fusion for the MD as it also emulates the Master System, GG, 32X and Sega CD.
i used to use kega fusion but it kept making windows (vista) shut down so i switched to gens and haven't had a problem,it also does 32x and sega cd but doesn't come with the bios included but i'm not bothered about getting them.i just use dega for ms,snes9 for snes,fceux for nes and visual boy for gba/c and advance and haven't had a problem with any.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Darth Martious

Post by Darth Martious » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:20 pm

MattyC64c wrote:What games are a must for the N64?
Robotron 64, natch :)
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to an ASS-KICKING!

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:10 pm

DanWelsh86 wrote:Zsnes is clearly the better Snes emu, followed closely by Snes9x.
Snes9x overtook Zsnes quite a while ago. The last Zsnes build is over four years old, whereas Snes9x is still a very active project, it's come a long way in the past year or so. Snes9x is the best Snes emu bar none.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:21 pm

Even though I'm sticking with BSNES (runs great for me now I've "purified" the ROMs), have they fixed that problem SNES9X had with the backgrounds in Super Mario World?

big-byte

Post by big-byte » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:20 pm

Dolphin is very good emulator on Windows 7 64bit. I have overclocked quad core pc and House of the Dead Overkill for Wii runs nicely on it and is very playable with the mouse.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:52 pm

For Amstrad emulation I'd stick to Caprice32. Works fine, gets the job done.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

joefish

Post by joefish » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:36 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:There's no default for a second fire button on the ST, its a single button joystick system. Due to this for convenience its often mapped to the space bar but its far from a standard.
Also worth remembering that the mouse just plugged into a joystick port, and there wasn't even really support for two mouse buttons. Moving the mouse repeatedly taps one of four directions on the port (curiously not in the same direction as the joystick) and it was up to the keyboard controller chip to count the pulses. The left mouse button activates FIRE on that port; the right mouse button actually triggered FIRE on the other port.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:58 pm

I use zsnes for snes emulation. It has a rubbish looking interface/hud though.

Darth Martious

Post by Darth Martious » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:25 pm

If you're interested in emulating PC Engine/TurboGrafx-16 or the PC-FX, I can recommend Magic Engine. It costs £10, so isn't free like most other emulators, but it's very well done.

Also, if you're into Neo-Geo or CPS-1/2 emulation and can't be doing with MAME, I heartily recommend Nebula.
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to an ASS-KICKING!

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:10 pm

C=Style wrote:
DanWelsh86 wrote:Zsnes is clearly the better Snes emu, followed closely by Snes9x.
Snes9x overtook Zsnes quite a while ago. The last Zsnes build is over four years old, whereas Snes9x is still a very active project, it's come a long way in the past year or so. Snes9x is the best Snes emu bar none.
Bsnes is the most accurate 1:1 Snes emulator out there. Knocks everything else into a cocked hat in terms of accurate emulation. ZSnes is pretty good but is one massive hack job, the compatibility isn't brilliant. Snes9x sits neatly between the two.

Playstation - PSX 1.13
N64 - Project 64 or 1964 (not much in it TBH)
All Sega 8 and 16 bits - Fusion
NES - Nestopia
Snes - Bsnes
C64 - Winvice
Speccy - I use EmuzWin but there are loads of others just as good or better.
Amstrad - Caprice32 or for a slightly more authentic look CPCE is good if a little less user friendly.
BBC - BeebEm
Oric - Euphoric
Atari Lynx - Handy
NeoGeoPocket Color - NeoPopWin
Intellivision - Nostalgia
For the old Atari consoles and computers, Colecovision and Vectrex I use MESS.
MSX - BlueMSX
All Gameboy and GBA stuff I use Visual Boy Advance
PCEngine - Magic Engine
For most point and click stuff you're good to go with ScummVM (the compatibility list is pretty impressive nowadays) and of course there's the ever reliable DOSBox for other old PC classics.
AtariST - STeeM (via GameBase)
Amiga - WinUAE (via GameBase)

Don't discount the various GameBase databases as you can usually download everything in packs (games, boxart other extras) and launch everything from a nice gamebase gamelist with screenshots. There are easily accessible fully loaded databases currently for C64, Amiga, Atari ST, Amstrad and Spectrum among others.

There are other emulators for just about every other system not mentioned and lots of other emulators that are arguably just as effective as the one's I've listed above. The one's in the list are simply the emulators that through much trial and error I've personally found to be best suited to the job for their respective systems.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.