Best emulators

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

MattyC64c

Best emulators

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:54 am

Hi guys, I'm looking to emulate some more systems. I'll list them here:

Atari ST: I've already emulated the Amiga with WinAUE, now I'm interested in the ST, what should I use?
Amiga CD32: Is it possible to emulate this console, what do I need?

Amstrad: An 8-bit range I've never actually played games for. What do I need for this? Will I need several to emulate all the different models?
Spectrum: I've tried emulators before, but with all those types of input devices I found it hard to set controls.

N64: I know there are quite a few for this, I did have one working before and I played GoldenEye on it, but I can't remember what it was.
Snes: At the moment I have Snes 9X, but I understand there is a better one?

Saturn: Is it possible to emulate this system?

Sega Model 2: I'm running an Emulator interestingly called 'Model 2 Emu', it plays classic games like Virtua Cop, Daytona USA and Sega Rally, but it doesn't allow to change many settings, so while I can play Sega Rally, I can't win a race!
Dreamcast: I've actually emulated this with a program called NullDC, is this the best one? I'm also a little confused with the setting up a controller.

Thanks.

Riddler

Re: Best emulators

Post by Riddler » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:00 am

Dreamcast: I've actually emulated this with a program called NullDC, is this the best one? I'm also a little confused with the setting up a controller.
Null DC is pretty good. I used "Xpadder" to map the controlls.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:20 am

You can emulate the Amiga CD 32 in WinUAE, you just need the BIOS files.

Project 64 is best for N64. FUSE for Spectrum. Not sure about the others.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:28 am

Would agree Project 64 is best for N64, but 1964 runs some games better (most notably Yoshi's Story).
SSF is the only Saturn emulator that is anywhere near being any good, and it's still being worked on too.
BSNES is the #1 SNES emu, but run all your ROMs through the bundled SNESpurify application first.

Darth Martious

Post by Darth Martious » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:28 am

N64: I swear by Project64. Easy to use, good features and seems highly compatible.

Dreamcast: I've used Chankast in the past fairly successfully, but generally I've been put off DC emulation and instead prefer to use an actual DC (cheap as chips) modded to play all regions in 60Hz.
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to an ASS-KICKING!

TMR

Post by TMR » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:37 am

MattyC64c wrote:Atari ST: I've already emulated the Amiga with WinAUE, now I'm interested in the ST, what should I use?
The best one seems to be the STEem Engine.
MattyC64c wrote:Amstrad: An 8-bit range I've never actually played games for. What do I need for this? Will I need several to emulate all the different models?
No, the emulator people recommended to me repeatedly is WinApe and it does CPC and CPC Plus.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:13 pm

MattyC64c wrote: Spectrum: I've tried emulators before, but with all those types of input devices I found it hard to set controls.
ZXSpin is a great and free emulator,you can set the controls in the emulator settings,increase cpu/loading speed,great emu,some later speccy games only worked with the amstrad speccy era joystick control ports,which you can set in the emu aswell.

if you have cash to spend you could buy Spectaculator if you like the trial edition.

Another vote for winape,it also emulates gx4000.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:02 pm

Steem is a terrific emulator for the ST and very easy to use. For the Atari XL I use AtariWin.
Funny, in the early days of the forum these threads were always locked, the openly discuss things like MAME in the magazine now!

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:15 pm

These are good great cheers. The Atari 8-bits will be interesting to try out.

Do the N64 emu's need graphics and controller plug-ins? I want to pay the games with a 360 wired pad.

TMR

Post by TMR » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:02 pm

sscott wrote:For the Atari XL I use AtariWin.
Altirra is the best A8 emulator going... not quite as friendly as A8Win but it is more like the real hardware and offers VBXE support.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:45 pm

MattyC64c wrote:Do the N64 emu's need graphics and controller plug-ins? I want to pay the games with a 360 wired pad.
They run OK without them if your PC is beefy enough, but I would still recommend Googling for them.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:36 pm

BSNES is that better SNES emu you were thinking of, I reckon. It was created with the sole purpose of being 100% accurate. It plays every game, bar one. Not very quick mind you...

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:36 pm

Fred83 wrote:
MattyC64c wrote: Spectrum: I've tried emulators before, but with all those types of input devices I found it hard to set controls.
ZXSpin is a great and free emulator,you can set the controls in the emulator settings,increase cpu/loading speed,great emu,some later speccy games only worked with the amstrad speccy era joystick control ports,which you can set in the emu aswell.

if you have cash to spend you could buy Spectaculator if you like the trial edition.

Another vote for winape,it also emulates gx4000.
Worth pointing out that for the vast majority of Spectrum games, assigning your pad/stick as a Kempston in the emulator options tends to be supported, at least once you're past the first year or so where many games were keyboard controlled etc. Just remember to select Kempston in the game too if there's a choice, as it often defaults to keyboard.

I know you've not mentioned it, but I can't pass the opportunity to throw Oricutron into the fray too:
http://code.google.com/p/oriculator/
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:39 pm

I will use this same thread for techy questions rather than make a new one.

I've got STeem Engine up and running and I even played a game, Commando, as it happens. It loves my 360 pad, I only had to choose a fire button. I have a few minor questions.

1. Silly question perhaps, but how do I quit running the emulator while in full screen?
2. In full screen, how do i bring up the emulator menu?
3. In full screen the screen changes to what looks like 640x480 or 800x600 I'm not sure which. It looks fine, but how do increase this? Is it possible to enable scan lines?

4. On games that may use more than one fire button what is the default and can I change it, like use A and B on my 360 pad?
5. How do I swap a disk with games that have too or more floppies?

I realy like this ST emulator. I'm amazed how many ST and Amiga games look the same!

Cheers.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:47 pm

Break key!