Reliability

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Darth Martious

Re: Reliability

Post by Darth Martious » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:36 pm

This generation has been the most unreliable for me - I had one 360 RROD on me after about two and a half years, which annoyed me a fair bit because I kept it well ventilated, dust free and it only had light usage. It was still under warranty though and MS replaced it with an HDMI model FoC and that one's still going strong.
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to an ASS-KICKING!

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:40 pm

wanna bet my 360 wil rrod very soon now i jinxed it ?
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

malekith1979

Post by malekith1979 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:41 pm

I must be very lucky as I'm still on my first 360 (old elite), PS3 (slim) and all sundry of my old consoles have never knackered out. The only prob i ever had was with my A1200 when the disk drive would always reset the computer on certain games which worked fine on my mates A1200. Dunno why! Maybe the hamster that runs my Wii will conk out eventually.
Having made this post I'm fully expecting RROD and hard drive screw ups in near future. Tempting fate I reckon :lol:

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:39 pm

Still on my original PS3, bought in 2007, not so lucky with 360's, had four failures within two years, two RROD and two stopped reading discs, had the last one fixed and then got rid.

I have since re-bought a 360 elite which has been fine for over two years.

Over the years my Game gear has lost it's sound and most of it's picture, got it fixed and it is now good as new, same problem fixed on my PC Engine GT.

The only other hardware failures among 50+ computers and consoles are a snapped disc drive belt on my otherwise trusty Spectrum +3, the most distressing failure though is my PC Engine LT, the screen just flickers on turn on, music plays for a few seconds and then it shuts off.

Oh, and my PC-FX won't hold any save data anymore, not even on the memory card.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:09 pm

thevulture wrote::cry: Well, the old PC i bought off a mate and threw stacks of MAME stuff on died tonight, mere few weeks after having DVD drive fitted etc.Windows corrupt file, needed orig.CD to repair or something, which does'nt exist as such (mate bought off a mate who bought off....) so that's latest.earlier hardware issues:
You should easily be able to get another copy of Windows and do a repair install though?

The Mask Seller

Post by The Mask Seller » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:10 pm

Never had a console go wrong until the original Xbox back in 2002, bizarre fault with the pad port. No matter what pad I plugged into the port it refused to register whatever button presses I made correctly, really odd. What made it a real b*tch was that I'd filled the hard drive with loads of music that I'd ripped from CDs I'd borrowed from the library so when I took it back and had it replaced I lost all that great music.

I've traded in a 3000 series PSP for one dead pixel as it really annoyed me and I had to get shot of my first Xbox 360 but for the life of me can't remember why. I do remember Gamestation trying to swap the one I bought back which I'd bought brand new for a scruffy pre-owned one, cheeky b*stards. Aside of that, never had any serious problems, been lucky I guess but I doubt I play any one machine enough to blow its gaskets.
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:40 pm

MattyC64c wrote:
thevulture wrote::cry: Well, the old PC i bought off a mate and threw stacks of MAME stuff on died tonight, mere few weeks after having DVD drive fitted etc.Windows corrupt file, needed orig.CD to repair or something, which does'nt exist as such (mate bought off a mate who bought off....) so that's latest.earlier hardware issues:
You should easily be able to get another copy of Windows and do a repair install though?
:wink: Probably could, but taking it as a sign that i've got far too many systems.Have a working PC for my online needs as such, got MAME on various other systems, so no great loss as such, just a pain.

PC had been resetting like a bad un, throwing up all sorts of error messages on any PC game i'd instal such as C+C Generals, AVP, Defcon etc before promptly crashing etc, before this event.Sign that HDD was shot maybe? Think the old mare just on it's last legs-Think that's 3rd PC to die on me.

happyguy151

Post by happyguy151 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:12 pm

I am now on my 6th 360 which is the Halo Slim! I have had one stuck disc drawer, RROD 3 times and a burned our graphics chip.
360's are horribly and cheaply made garbage! sure it has good games but I am scared to turn the damn thing on in case it breaks.
I know slims are meant to be more reliable, i just feel burned by Microsoft.

I have never had any other console, except one Dreamcast, break down on me and I have owned 20+ and they all still work fine.
I have never had anything go wrong with my PS3 or Wii either.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:14 pm

thevulture wrote::wink: Probably could, but taking it as a sign that i've got far too many systems.Have a working PC for my online needs as such, got MAME on various other systems, so no great loss as such, just a pain.

PC had been resetting like a bad un, throwing up all sorts of error messages on any PC game i'd instal such as C+C Generals, AVP, Defcon etc before promptly crashing etc, before this event.Sign that HDD was shot maybe? Think the old mare just on it's last legs-Think that's 3rd PC to die on me.
I bet the main hardware is fine, it sounds like the hard drive was failing, the disk platters probably have bad sectors due to a faulty hard drive read/write head. When the read/write heads wear out they start to damage the surface of the hard disc. Eventualy it will currupt the Windows install, saying files are missing or popping up the dreaded BSOD (Blue Screen of Death).

Skull Commander

Post by Skull Commander » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:17 pm

I'm on Xbox 360 number 5 or 6 (I loose track). It's shocking how shoddy the quality is, and as someone who looks after their consoles very well I know I'm not to blame for them messing up.

The only other consoles I have had problems with are Dreamcasts (reset problem, but I can fix that myself now) and the Playstation. My first Playstation would only work when it was upside down, and that fault started just after my years warranty ran out. I phoned up Sony and argued with a lot of people on the phone until they eventually apologized and sent me a brand new Playstation free of charge.

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:28 pm

Skull Commander wrote:I'm on Xbox 360 number 5 or 6 (I loose track). It's shocking how shoddy the quality is, and as someone who looks after their consoles very well I know I'm not to blame for them messing up.

The only other consoles I have had problems with are Dreamcasts (reset problem, but I can fix that myself now) and the Playstation. My first Playstation would only work when it was upside down, and that fault started just after my years warranty ran out. I phoned up Sony and argued with a lot of people on the phone until they eventually apologized and sent me a brand new Playstation free of charge.
Wasnt it because the plastic housing the discs used to warp slightly after getting warm time after time. turning it upside down helped push it back the other way I think. I'm sure sony used metal instead of plastic in the end to rectify it. I bought my ps 1 not long after launch and guess what? No problems. A bit of luck there as I used it an awful lot.

Eat your nans pants

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:33 pm

My PS3 (which was hardly used) had the drive die so I binned it.. My jap Original 360 Red Ringed and my other 360 I broke the drive in it.. Been through a few PS 2's probally as they had Messiah chips, and they where played constantly..

The PS1 was by far the most unreliable console, actually I;d say Sony Consoles break all the time IMO
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

DanWelsh86

Post by DanWelsh86 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:47 pm

Every console and PC i've ever owned has had serious use, and the only fault i've had is my PS3 bluetooth losing sync so had to get a new one under warranty. It's inevitable that the more complex our consoles get the more they will break, after all we're not dealing with a board and a couple of serial ports.....the PS3 and 360 are basically PC's.

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:11 pm

Shinobi said
My PS3 (which was hardly used) had the drive die so I binned it.. My jap Original 360 Red Ringed and my other 360 I broke the drive in it.. Been through a few PS 2's probally as they had Messiah chips, and they where played constantly..

The PS1 was by far the most unreliable console, actually I;d say Sony Consoles break all the time IMO
Its stacking up for them a little isnt it. My first ps3 died under mysterious circumstances. I packed it away for a while due to my house being refurbed. I did a proper job, properly packed, back in the box and taken to a safe area. When It comes to setting it back up it simply refused to read anything at all. What can go wrong in a box ffs? The second died of blu ray failure laser/lens failure and I now have a 320gb slim. Which is great atm. Both my ps1 (before I sold it) and my ps2 fared and still fare very well for me.

So the 360 takes the top prize for me. I had my original one for a few, maybe 3 days before it died. But I reckon it got 8 hours worth of play tops before it bit the dust. To add insult to injury I had to wait nearly 2 weeks for Gamestation to get any more in as I refused to accept a repair/reconditioned unit from ms on something that died so early. The second had a fatal problem with the graphics card according to ms, the screen just froze and had zigzagging lines all over it, after a few seconds of being the 360 being switched on. So then I bought an elite, which was showing all the symptoms of imminent failure before I chopped it in for a slim. Frequent freezing, slow performance and the noise of a fighter jet, coupled with refusal to charge my joypads for more than 5 mins. And yes I did test charge them elsewhere. So far so good with the slim, but its getting noisier and it certainly wasnt whisper quiet to start with like Microsoft's daft claim.

God I hate noisy consoles. Bring back carts ffs.

Eat your nans pants

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:28 pm

:oops: Forgot the PS1-Had UK launch machine, plastic lens holder thing, warped, so resorted to putting on it's side, then upside down to load.

@MattyC64c:-going from your description, does indeed sound like what happened to my PC.Had a PS3 HDD i bought cheap suffer bad sectors, guessing it's a common problem?.With the PC though, really was'nt worth spending the time+Money getting new HDD and everything back to square 1 again, machine was old, had been used a lot by my mate previousily...

Also, over last week, each time i powered it up? awful noise coming from inside, sound like the drive being damaged?
Last edited by thevulture on Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.