Reliability

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

crusto

Reliability

Post by crusto » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:56 am

This gen, for me has been the most unreliable, in terms of consoles that I have ever experienced. As things stand im on my 4th 360, 3rd ps3 and 2nd psp. Now I know that with technological advances you are bound to encounter reliability issues but surely not this many. For me build quality must shoulder a large portion of the blame. These consoles are so damn noisy too. I really hope this gets addressed when the next gen comes along. I would happily pay a little more for my system If I knew it would reduce the chance of it breaking. My first 360 lasted approx 8 hours ffs! I must mention that I have never had a single nintendo system malfunction on me though, not ever. So as far as I am concerned they get a big thumbs up from me. Also, my Megadrive was bought in 1991 and works just fine. Coming to think of it, I might throw it a 21st birthday party next christmas.

Seriously though, I thought PC's were the most unreliable machines you could buy. But now im no longer sure.

Anyway, is anyone on here lucky enough to still be on their 1st 360 or ps3? And what other reliability woes with other systems have you all had?

Eat your nans pants

speedlolita

Re: Reliability

Post by speedlolita » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:02 pm

crusto wrote:Seriously though, I thought PC's were the most unreliable machines you could buy. But now im no longer sure.
Rubbish. Unreliability of PCs is down to the user, if they were to not be stupid in how they use their PC there would be no chance for unreliability. Of course there's some exceptions but PC component have a failure rate of around 1%.

Technology advances more recently have led hardware to be more powerful and more importantly more efficient. I'll happily wager that the next generation of consoles will be as reliable as last generation.

And I'm sure Microsoft will do was more product testing with their next machine, given the design fault of the first two revisions of Xbox 360 motherboards, Zepher and Xenon.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:13 pm

crusto wrote:My first 360 lasted approx 8 hours ffs!
:shock: :lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:18 pm

Had my 360 for a few years (got it when Crackdown came out) and it works fine.

ITS MEGA RARE!!!!

Nar I just never play on the bugger

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:25 pm

speedlolita wrote:
crusto wrote:Seriously though, I thought PC's were the most unreliable machines you could buy. But now im no longer sure.
Rubbish. Unreliability of PCs is down to the user, if they were to not be stupid in how they use their PC there would be no chance for unreliability. Of course there's some exceptions but PC component have a failure rate of around 1%.

Technology advances more recently have led hardware to be more powerful and more importantly more efficient. I'll happily wager that the next generation of consoles will be as reliable as last generation.

And I'm sure Microsoft will do was more product testing with their next machine, given the design fault of the first two revisions of Xbox 360 motherboards, Zepher and Xenon.
I said what I said because Ive had my fair share of reliability issues with pc's over the years. And I know how to use them correctly. One of them kept having hard drive failures, 3 in 5 months to be precise. And I know plenty of other people who have had their fair share of problems. They cant all be 'crap' at pc's surely :lol: . How can you misuse a PC? You turn it on, use it, shut it down (properly).

If someone misuses a pc they get what they deserve imo.

Eat your nans pants

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:29 pm

crusto wrote:How can you misuse a PC? You turn it on, use it, shut it down (properly).

I mean in terms of software, really. Getting a virus to some people is often misconstrued as the PC being "unreliable" - it isn't the PCs fault that they got a virus.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:31 pm

I'm on my third 360, first one had RROD, second one developed a faulty DVD drive and the third has another RROD. This is going back five years as I bought my 360 in May 2006. I bought a PS3 in 2008 and touch wood it's still in good working order, although it doesn't get as much of a work out as the 360.

I've found my PC's to be highly reliable, but then again I've been building my own since 2003 and I was buy quality parts. In fact my current machine is five years old and still works great and I've never had any major problems with Windows or viruses. It's a good idea however to give your desktop PC a good clear out every 12-18 months. Since I build my own, I literally take it to pieces, clear out the dust and re-install Windows.

I don't think its fair to compare the reliability of a technically simplistic Sega Mega Drive, with its 7 Mhz processor and cartridge slot to a Xbox 360 with a tri-core 3.2GHz Processor and powerful ATI graphics, these things run vary warm and if not looked after they will fail.

Joey

Post by Joey » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:35 pm

MattyC64c wrote:
I don't think its fair to compare the reliability of a technically simplistic Sega Mega Drive, with its 7 Mhz processor and cartridge slot to a Xbox 360 with a tri-core 3.2GHz Processor and powerful ATI graphics, these things run vary warm and if not looked after they will fail.
Exactly, the only moving parts a MD has is the on/off/reset switch and the cartridge flap!

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:47 pm

i do remember numberous of the first generation of playstations failing whilst the saturn kept going.

Nes had annoying cart slot though :evil:

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:53 pm

My second Xbox 360 was too reliable. I had to break it in order for Microsoft to give me a new one with a new warranty.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:53 pm

speedlolita wrote:
crusto wrote:How can you misuse a PC? You turn it on, use it, shut it down (properly).

I mean in terms of software, really. Getting a virus to some people is often misconstrued as the PC being "unreliable" - it isn't the PCs fault that they got a virus.
I thought thats what you meant tbh. And thats very true.

Eat your nans pants

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:59 pm

Joey wrote:
MattyC64c wrote:
Exactly, the only moving parts a MD has is the on/off/reset switch and the cartridge flap!
True, very true. But 20 years is still a great achievement. And until the moving parts 'issue' is addressed I doubt we will ever see anything close to that again. Thats why I hope the next gen will ditch dvd/blu ray and go back to carts or cards.

Eat your nans pants

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:15 pm

Fred83 wrote:Nes had annoying cart slot though :evil:
True. In fairness that particular issue wasn't necessarily one of reliability, afaik. It was more a case of a poor design choice from Nintendo.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:15 pm

PS2 era was most unreliable for me. Im pretty sure we went through 5 PS2's and both my Xbox and Gamecube bit the dust not long before we got a 360 and a Wii.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:36 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:PS2 era was most unreliable for me.
Same here; I'm on my 5th or 6th Dreamcast (and none of those were even Sudden Reset Syndrome).
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design