If you hadn't gotten rid.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Rinoa

Re: If you hadn't gotten rid.

Post by Rinoa » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:46 pm

Megamixer wrote:Thrown away the boxes for my Gameboy/GBC games (seems to be a common one!).
Same here unfortunately :(

Also, for no apparent reason, I threw out the box for Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (GC). Could really kick myself for that one.

malekith1979

Post by malekith1979 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:47 pm

I do believe the only console I ever sold was my N64. Can't say I ever loved it that much! But reading this thread did bring back to me the fact that at my parents house I must still have my : 2600 woody with all paddles and box etc. Speccy 128k, MD, A1200, PS1 with a ton of games. All except my Dreamcast which i buried in their garden with full honours. Can't say if I'll ever get them all out again, but they'll fetch such a piffling amount if I sell 'em, I think I'll leave them in my old folks' custody. Who knows, maybe my mother will fire up Red Zone one day :D

ipmarks

Post by ipmarks » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:54 pm

Not sorry about anything I've sold... the only regret I have is that in moving house in the late 90's I threw out an Apple IIe, god knows why, I think I was stressed at the time. I always wish I still had that Apple IIe now, I keep looking on eBay but they don't seem to come up too often.

Roo

Post by Roo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:46 pm

I remember owning 50-odd N64 games and trading all but twelve of them into Electronics Boutique just to pay for the GameCube (a mere £129.99) itself. I then shunted a good portion of my Game Boy and GBC games to help pay for Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and a memory card. £184.99 worth of trade in, but so, so many of the games were worth far more now than I got for them back in 2002.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:13 pm

My Atari Lynx Mk1+MK2 along with the games sadly went as i needed cash after crashing car, years ago.Gutted. Wish i'd kept the Atari 800XL and disk drive+Games i picked up cheap many, many years ago.Had Snatcher, SOR 3 in terms of games i really wish i had'nt sold for near enough nowt..

But really wish...My mother had'nt thrown away all the 2000AD, Eagle, X-Men etc comics i had in storage, the day i went to tech.College, o.k, 20+ years passed, but the loss still burns.... :cry:

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:18 pm

If I knew that a few years down the line, I would own a PS3 with PS1 backwards compatibility, I would have kept all my PS1 games. As it is, the only games I have left now are:

- Alien Trilogy
- Marvel Super-Heroes vs Street Fighter
- Mortal Kombat Trilogy
- Resident Evil Survivor
- Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha
- X-Men vs Street Fighter

As you can see, not much variety there. Games I remember owning but must have got rid of include Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3, Parasite Eve II, Alien Resurrection (would love to play this again), Tomb Raider II and Tomb Raider 3. All games that I would no doubt buy on the PSN store now (although I have already done so with Parasite Eve II).

Isn't hindsight a marvelous thing? :)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:25 pm

I've gotten rid of a lot of gear over the years and some of it I wish I never let go. My mint boxed Amiga collection, comprised of around 300 games, all had to go as the place I was moving into didn't have a spare room for it all, sadly I had to let that stuff go. I regret that and maybe my MSX HX-10, it would be so cool owning that and going though my old game collection I had when I was a kid just for pure nostalgia. Other that that though I really don't mind the decisions I made because I'm happy with what I have now and I don't want a large collection, I already have too much.

mrmarvelxiii

Post by mrmarvelxiii » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:32 pm

Monster Rancher for the PS1. I loved it and equally loved the show. It was a poke-rip-off basically but it had this cool thing where you could create monsters by putting your CDs in the disc tray (the cartoon had a thing about discs I recall). It was a relli fun game and I've seen it go for quite a laege amount of cash since... crud.

Thought about gettin' rid of me Master System, but I popped on columns and some of the music on that console is amazing, and it has my fav sports game ever on it, World Soccer.

After reading Mask Seller's tale of bidding farewell to his N64 (I feel for ya) it made me glad that I've held on to all my consoles. I don't think I could get rid of any of 'em. I just wanna get more now :D
Chazz it up!!!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:09 pm

Id have a flat full of games and things I don't give a toss about

Seriously.
I never sold my games as a kid

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:09 pm

Morkin wrote:I wish that I hadn't thrown away all my Crash, YS, C&VG & SU magazines that I accumulated over the years. :(
Yep - me too. Must have binned 200 C&VG, SInclair User, Your Spectrum/Sinclair, and Crash. I still have my bound 1987 Crashes, purely cos they were the only ones I got bound, I kept them.

Not as bad as the 200 200AD's I binned when moving house in 1984, aroundabout Prog 230 onwards I think :(

Or My 48 and +2 Speccy's and all my dozens of boxed games (and backups....) relegated to the bin when I got my miggy 500

Sold the 500 for a 1200 - no regrets.

Sold tthe 1200 and bloody loads of games to fund the PSX - mmmm, mixed emotions, had SO much fun on the PSX (AND I still have it!!!) but even now, I want another 1200.....

Never sold another console since. Oh, sold my GP2X on here to fund the PSP, No regrets there either, even though the GP2X was awesome, a hacked PSP is doubly so.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:13 am

thebear wrote:Soo many Spectrum games

But even that pales into insiginicance at the memory of the 3 HUGE boxes of Star Wars toys I sold for 15 quid

Would be worth 1000's now
Tell me about it. In the early 90s a bric-a-brac shop at the top of my road had BOXES and BOXES of complete star wars figures. We used to buy them for about 50p each, we bought loads (to play with obviously). I reckon the heavy-metal-loving lad who ran the shop must kick himself now - he must have been sitting on a goldmine!!

He also used to sell random budget Speccy games for 99p!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:41 am

Nah, anything I've gotten rid of was because I'd no further use for it. Sure it'd be nice to have the actual Atari & spectrum I had as a kid, but thanks to the wonders of the internet & emulation I can pretty much go back to any game from the 80's & early 90's without hoarding boxes of stuff. The only regrets for me were that I held on to stuff I had for too long, cluttering the place up.

I'm in the process of getting down to the absolute barest minimum possible. With my psp & modded Xbox I've pretty much got more games that I would care to play in a lifetime & they hardly take up any space at all.

Collections of boxes are interesting things to look at & if I'm round someone's gaff I'll marvel at their collection. But it's just not for me.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

James A

Post by James A » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:32 am

Not really get rid of but i regret selling on alot of the rare stuff ive found at Car Boots like a mint boxed Castlevania 3 for the NES or a Blue PS1 Debug unit. I would have had a pretty damn impressive collection but also no space. Thing is though the moneys gone on other good things so i can't complain that much.

One thing that did annoy me was a friend had a Megadrive with pretty much every rare PAL shooter and RPG on it. I always used to have a go on it when i went round to his and always told him if he was getting rid of it to give me a shout. A few years ago i went round and his folks had thrown the lot away, he'd forgot to tell them to hold onto it for us. Was gutted when i found out.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:55 am

Really regret letting the Spectrum stuff go to the school fair - no-one even bought it and it got put in the supply cupboard for years and years, who knows where it is now?

Also, thinking I shouldn't've got rid of all those SNES game boxes. Only around 12 of them, but in hindsight it seemed a silly thing to do.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

slayer6000

Post by slayer6000 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:23 pm

I had the full collection of Commodore Format from Issue 1 right through to the last publication, incuding the few special issues. Plus had all the powerpack cover tapes too. But in a moment of madness i threw all the magazines away years ago. I still have the powerpacks, but really wish i had the magazines too, probably wouldnt be worth too much, but would be great to read through again.
This week i av mostly been playing dreamcast