If you hadn't gotten rid.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

crusto

If you hadn't gotten rid.

Post by crusto » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:44 am

I was just thinking about all the stuff I have owned over the years. If I hadn't been stupid enough at the time and sold/gave away the majority of my stuff I would be sitting on a mighty impressive collection of computers, consoles and games, some being quite rare. And all would be in good nick as I really look after my stuff. Thousands of pounds worth I reckon. As I dont actively collect and just impulse buy for the MD and other newer consoles now and then I have taken it upon my self to start collecting as of now, this gen. And add to what I have remaining of my old stuff as and when. Then in 20 years time I wont have to slap myself again.

No more trading in for me, I'll have to buy a bigger house that's all. :) How many of you have made the same mistake? And how many of you were clever/lucky enough not to?

Eat your nans pants

AceGrace

Re: If you hadn't gotten rid.

Post by AceGrace » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:48 am

In my teens/early twenties, I used to get rid of stuff in order to fund the next new console/computer.

That was just the way it was.

Having said that in recent years I have been buying it all back including computers/consoles I didn't own but always wanted to.

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:58 am

I had to sell my VCS to get my Vic-20 (I was about 8 or 9 when I got my VCS), then I had to sell my Vic-20 go get my C64, then I had to sell the C64 to get an Amiga 500. All this was before I had a job/money. After that I never sold anything, so I still have my A500, A1200, PS1, PS2, PS3.

I then re-bought a C64 (and 1541 drive & Action Replay cart), and a Vic-20, so I have most if it back. I have yet to buy a VCS, though I did get a C64c, as I always liked the look of them.

I would like to get a few others I didn't own, like a Spectrum, BBC (used them a bit at school), and PET (used them almost all the time at school). I'm a bit short on space, though, and some are expensive.

I'd have loved to keep my original Vic-20 and especially my C64, but there was no way I could keep them at the time. I got £400 from my C64 which was the exact price I paid for my A500.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:02 am

necronom wrote:I had to sell my VCS to get my Vic-20 (I was about 8 or 9 when I got my VCS), then I had to sell my Vic-20 go get my C64, then I had to sell the C64 to get an Amiga 500. All this was before I had a job/money. After that I never sold anything, so I still have my A500, A1200, PS1, PS2, PS3.

I then re-bought a C64 (and 1541 drive & Action Replay cart), and a Vic-20, so I have most if it back. I have yet to buy a VCS, though I did get a C64c, as I always liked the look of them.

I would like to get a few others I didn't own, like a Spectrum, BBC (used them a bit at school), and PET (used them almost all the time at school). I'm a bit short on space, though, and some are expensive.

I'd have loved to keep my original Vic-20 and especially my C64, but there was no way I could keep them at the time. I got £400 from my C64 which was the exact price I paid for my A500.
My CPC (colour) went for about £20 at a car boot sale back in the early 90's. It had a stack of games with it as well. I would have been better off keeping it.

Eat your nans pants

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:17 am

I picked up a 464 at a car boot a couple of weeks ago for £2. Works perfectly. :D

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:36 am

Dont really regret anything i've got rid of. Yeah if i had my old Speccy stuff it might be worth a bit, my dad often goes on about 'i wish i hadnt let you open those star wars figures !'. Yeah an 8 year old kid at Xmas gets star wars figures and isnt allowed to open them in case theyre worth tons in the future ! Or look at the original Gameboy's which are worth a fair bit in their original packaging.

But you could buy a pristine Ford Focus, keep it in a garage for 60 years and then it'll be on TV in the future on Antiques Roadshow and be worth a lot !

The Mask Seller

Post by The Mask Seller » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:42 am

In the last 12 months I've re-bought a N64, original Xbox, PSone, Gameboy Pocket, Gamecube and Dreamcast. These have been to replace the consoles (and stacks of games) I sadly sold to the likes of CEX/Gamestation in order to keep the wolf from the door during my financially irresponsible drinking/idiot days.

I like to look after my gaming stuff and was gutted when I had to take in my mint, boxed N64 with a stack of excellent, mint boxed games into Gamestation. I got a fair price for it all but it was a fraction of what they were worth to me in terms of the enjoyment they'd given me. The N64 was the console I cashed in last and I remember feeling like a total scumbag loser when I did, like I'd somehow committed an act of betrayal! Serves me right for having been a f*cking drunken idiot. I'd like to say that this experience was a wake up call of sorts but I didn't turn things around for another year or so after this, pathetic really.
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:47 am

I'm currently in the process of getting rid of my old consoles. The Atari 7800, Dreamcast and one of the N64s are already gone. Currently getting the other N64, the SNES, the Playstation One and the NES ready to go. Then all I'll own are the Wii, the DS, the Megadrive (with no joypads, or it'd be sold too) and the Gamecube (because I wanna keep the joypads for my Wii).

Most of it has just been sitting there for years, not being used. There are so many rereleases of classic games on modern machines that I just don't need the originals anymore (I'm a massive Zelda fan, and on my Wii alone I can play Zelda 1, Zelda 2, Link to the Past, Ocarina, Majora, WindWaker and Twilight Princess. That's practically all of them). None of it is worth much; I didn't really take special care of a lot of it, and games were frequently passed around so boxes and manuals are either flittered or dead. I strongly doubt I'll regret selling anything.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Flint

Post by Flint » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:57 am

I’ll always be annoyed that my brother and I traded in most of our near mint gameboy collection for Pokemon Red and Blue. I’ve barely traded a game in since.
I’d also like to know where the instructions books are for my NES games as I still have their boxes in great condition.

Sadly anything older than that had to go as the boxes were huge for just a floppy disk (and sometimes a codewheel).

thebear

Post by thebear » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:06 am

Soo many Spectrum games

But even that pales into insiginicance at the memory of the 3 HUGE boxes of Star Wars toys I sold for 15 quid

Would be worth 1000's now
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:50 am

I had a Spectrum +2a with over 2000 games when I was a kid which I sold for a pittance. I also sold my 50+ 2600 games, my 50 odd Jaguar games and 70 odd Lynx games as I moved onto other systems. I especially regretted selling the Jaguar and Lynx stuff and actually recollected a lot of Lynx stuff when stores were clearing it out in the late 90's and a few odd Jaguar games too. When I moved abroard I also sold my Saturn and the 30 odd games I had for it. The only system I kept that actually went abroard with me was my Lynx, my mum brought me out my Jaguar & CD when she came to visit and I was rather distressed to hear that she had thrown away all the boxes. I have since recollected everything I had when I was younger except for all the Speccy games.

I think the only games I got rid of that are valuable today are a couple of Saturn games like House Of The Dead and Parodius. Possibly also some Jag games that go for high prices like Rayman and AVP but nothing major really compared to some stories I have heard of what people threw away.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:07 pm

thebear wrote:Soo many Spectrum games

But even that pales into insiginicance at the memory of the 3 HUGE boxes of Star Wars toys I sold for 15 quid

Would be worth 1000's now
I did something along those lines. I got rid of around 20 or so figures for about £30. They werent boxed or anything but still worth more than that! The things that the need for a few pints does to a young mind!

Eat your nans pants

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:33 pm

I wish that I hadn't thrown away all my Crash, YS, C&VG & SU magazines that I accumulated over the years. :(

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:39 pm

Thrown away the boxes for my Gameboy/GBC games (seems to be a common one!). Just thinking about replacing my cart-only Pokemon Crystal with another boxed VGC copy is a facepalm-inducing thought. That one ain't cheap :(
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Joey

Post by Joey » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:40 pm

I miss my huge PSP collection i sold earlier this year but don't really regret it as the money went to things more important.

I would have liked to add some more Jap titles to it though.