Difficulty levels now and then.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Alright now or better back then?

I prefer things as they are now.
66%
I love a challenge and a lack of continues or save game, take me back.
9%
I am brilliant either way, neither concerns me.
25%

Total votes: 32

malekith1979

Re: Difficulty levels now and then.

Post by malekith1979 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:17 pm

@the vulture, thanks mate i'll remember your wise words when I'm crying into my beer after playing Demon Souls again tonight! I've just got to man up and always remind myself that in days of yore even Treasure Island Dizzy was horribly frustrating too!
@crusto, glad you managed to get it ordered! You'll be enjoying it soon hopefully 8) I don't know if my version has any advantages, but I've got a hardback strategy guide inside the box. Maybe I should read it haha.
At least I got some xbox live points today so if it all gets too much, i can chill out with a bit of 40K Kill Team, I hear it's a rather fun twin stick shooter.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:49 pm

malekith1979 wrote:@the vulture, thanks mate i'll remember your wise words when I'm crying into my beer after playing Demon Souls again tonight! I've just got to man up and always remind myself that in days of yore even Treasure Island Dizzy was horribly frustrating too!
@crusto, glad you managed to get it ordered! You'll be enjoying it soon hopefully 8) I don't know if my version has any advantages, but I've got a hardback strategy guide inside the box. Maybe I should read it haha.
At least I got some xbox live points today so if it all gets too much, i can chill out with a bit of 40K Kill Team, I hear it's a rather fun twin stick shooter.
IF you like, PM or post us yer PS3 user name, gonna fire Demon's Souls back up...i'd be up for some co-op.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:32 pm

A game has to be really good or me to want to slog through on Hard. I did it on Halo, and the 360 sequels but I hated Halo2 so didn't bother with that one.
Last real slog was probably all golds on Gran Turismo. Man that was hard work. I don't have the inclination any more.

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:55 pm

I much prefer these days not to get wound up by games, I must have had the patience of a saint in the 8 bit era, fighting through some of the Spectrum games like Cyberun and Lunar Jetman, without smashing it to bits, although a good few joysticks bit the dust.

Demon Souls I found to be rock hard, but very enjoyable, death has never been more cruel in a game, but as others have said a careful approach is needed, blunder in and death will be quick, and costly, but never annoying as it is my fault, forgot to block, or other such blunder, damn my aging skills!

I have far more enjoyed alot of games this gen, Bioshock, Uncharted, Batman Arkham Asylum, Halo Reach etc, all brilliant fun, without major frustration, and that's the way I like it these days.

malekith1979

Post by malekith1979 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:21 pm

thevulture wrote:
malekith1979 wrote:@the vulture, thanks mate i'll remember your wise words when I'm crying into my beer after playing Demon Souls again tonight! I've just got to man up and always remind myself that in days of yore even Treasure Island Dizzy was horribly frustrating too!
IF you like, PM or post us yer PS3 user name, gonna fire Demon's Souls back up...i'd be up for some co-op.
Sounds good mate! Will PM you my user name. Probably be tomorrow night I reckon, or whenever you like. Be good to have a mentor!
Cheers 8)

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:33 pm

:D Friend request sent.On my 2nd playthrough now, (game even harder or so i'm told), shocked to see i'd spent over 129 hrs on the game :oops: Soul Level 91 and still had'nt done everything i wanted to.Need to get world balance to pure white to get keys to let out poor sod stuck in the cell.Even though i know wjhat to expect, still got that special feeling with Demon's Souls-Just don't want to be playing much else.

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:00 pm

Get this, I forgot to check the stock when I ordered it with Zavvi (daft as I am). I would have been waiting for a month! Luckily I have found it in stock at Amazon, its just under £2 more but what the hell. Its not gonna break the bank. Oh and its in stock :roll: .

Eat your nans pants