Difficulty levels now and then.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Alright now or better back then?

I prefer things as they are now.
66%
I love a challenge and a lack of continues or save game, take me back.
9%
I am brilliant either way, neither concerns me.
25%

Total votes: 32

thevulture

Re: Difficulty levels now and then.

Post by thevulture » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:05 pm

crusto wrote:I'm toying with the idea of getting demons souls, despite the difficulty. I've heard so many good things about it and I normally like that type of game. Hopefully it will be worth it.
Oh it's worth it, trust me.Had me hooked from the start.Tough game, yes, but not unfair, very rewarding.Never thought i'd ever complete it, but hard work paid off.Some epic bosses, superb online community etc.

My humble advice? Don't read too many guides etc, game works better with you cautiousily approaching each new area, not knowing what to expect (except sudden death soon after..)..If you do buy it and 'get into it' just don't expect to be playing anything else for a while. :wink:

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:17 pm

crusto wrote:I had a quick go on Super Ghouls and Ghosts a couple of days ago on the GBA. Whilst there isn't much doubt about the quality, the difficulty level is unbelievable. I simply haven't got the patience to play a game that is this difficult any more. It would require dedication that I simply could not hope to give to be any good at it, given family life and all that. This made me realise that im actually glad that difficulty levels arent what they used to be. If they were I think I would be gaming a lot less than I would like, or be playing far less games. Dont get me wrong, I like a challenge. But not to the point when I think the console has got something against me :) .
I though Super Ghouls and Ghosts was easy, apart from the last boss besides you get to save at the end of every level.. I do like the difficult games as I guess games back then where difficult.. I did get the download Knight Suit on the new Alice game, as I found that game infuriating without it.. And far more fun with the Knight Dress, Flesh Maiden Dress.. Even got the beat the last boss without taking cheevo with the flesh maiden suit
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:23 pm

I'm somewhere in the middle with this one.

I don't mind a hard game, in fact I really enjoy any of the Ghosts/Ghouls games given as an example, the difference is I don't ever expect to progress very far in them. As long as I've enjoyed my time with them, managed to get a bit better at it and a bit further than my first go, then I'm happy.

I do enjoy modern easy games too, but the expectation of completion and the time needed to do so (along with the lack of brick walls) means I don't get to play very many of them. A single game now sucks up far more time giving me a huge backlog.

What bugs me more are games that can't make their mind up (I'm looking at you Metroid Prime). Through most of the levels you can breeze along, then suddenly there's a brick hard boss that takes an age to get to, never mind beat. I got bored and gave up with that where if they'd not spiked the difficulty I'd have finished it. Either make the other enemies equally hard, or make the bosses easy, don't ruin the balance.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:42 pm

Wow, can't believe I'm the only one who really misses when games were challenging. I'll be as far as to say that the only games of this generation that has given me any kind of satisfaction after overcoming its brutal path is no-other than Demon's Souls. That game is not about cheap difficulty or bad design to break and annoy the player, it's about overcoming what seems impossible by just playing carefully and analising what the hell you're doing.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:55 pm

Games used to have to last. If a game was too easy , then you'd be waiting a week (sometimes longer) to be able to afford another one,so they had to be moderately dificult. Back in the day games also used to be a bit shorter, so again they had to have the dificulty level ramped up , but the thing more than anything else that makes games easier today is the quicksave option. HAving to start back from the beginning after losing your 3 lives was the only way for 90% of games back in the day - the smae could be said of ;ess than 10% of games today. So games are far easier to complete now, but not always as easier to play.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

malekith1979

Post by malekith1979 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:52 pm

thevulture wrote:
crusto wrote:I'm toying with the idea of getting demons souls, despite the difficulty. I've heard so many good things about it and I normally like that type of game. Hopefully it will be worth it.
Oh it's worth it, trust me.Had me hooked from the start.Tough game, yes, but not unfair, very rewarding.Never thought i'd ever complete it, but hard work paid off.Some epic bosses, superb online community etc.

My humble advice? Don't read too many guides etc, game works better with you cautiousily approaching each new area, not knowing what to expect (except sudden death soon after..)..If you do buy it and 'get into it' just don't expect to be playing anything else for a while. :wink:
Yup, I've just started to play this evening. And I thought I was doing sooo well until one careless mistake and I was roasted alive inside my shiny fluted armour :lol: My other half couldn't believe it when I told her there were no checkpoints or saves. I on the other hand, just felt a grim determination that it wasn't gonna happen the same way next time. Just like the old days with G&G and maybe AvP before it got patched for quicksaves. I know I'm going to like this game a lot 8)

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:15 pm

I think it's an interesting question because there are both games I think from the past that could have benefited from having saves, and some games today that would be better without them, or having the ability to "free save".
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:19 pm

crusto wrote:I had a quick go on Super Ghouls and Ghosts a couple of days ago on the GBA. Whilst there isn't much doubt about the quality, the difficulty level is unbelievable. I simply haven't got the patience to play a game that is this difficult any more. It would require dedication that I simply could not hope to give to be any good at it, given family life and all that. This made me realise that im actually glad that difficulty levels arent what they used to be. If they were I think I would be gaming a lot less than I would like, or be playing far less games. Dont get me wrong, I like a challenge. But not to the point when I think the console has got something against me :) .
Good post and very true for many of us!
I can still do well on the hard games I used to play back in the day but playing Super R-Type on the SNES revently was no fun at all! Still play Manic Miner though!

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:35 pm

sscott wrote:
Good post and very true for many of us!
I can still do well on the hard games I used to play back in the day but playing Super R-Type on the SNES revently was no fun at all! Still play Manic Miner though!
I never did play Super R Type. Was it as good as the mags said?

Btw youve just reminded that I have Gradius V somewhere in my house. Ive played it for all of half an hour and remember that being particularly tricky. I must have another go, which means getting the ps2 out of the loft!

Eat your nans pants

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:53 pm

:D @Malekith:You wait till you die whilst trying to get to the spot your dropped souls are-The pain of knowing you've say 30,000+ souls sat waiting to be reclaimed, you've only 1 chance to reclaim them, but dying before you reach them...much anguish!.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:12 pm

i play games for my enjoyment not to be frustrated by them or throw controllers at the tv
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:58 am

Prefer things now cos I'm a wimp! :lol:
MAMEing the other day, so many games I'm lucky to make it past the first stage without hitting "insert coin" at least a dozen times.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:02 am

Much prefer sticking games on 'Easy' or 'Normal' and enjoying the whole experience, rather than putting it on "Hard' then getting stuck on level 2 and never playing it again out of frustration, anger and disappointment.

I was much better when I was a kid, but as has been said before it's because I had a lot more time to concentrate on games. Imagine sitting through Hunchback or Frostbyte now, exacting that pixel-perfect jump over and over and over and over....

Plus, I wasn't averse to using cheats when I was younger, too.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:56 am

I prefer the old days. Completing a game should be for the elite. Pacman, for example.

Is this why arcades have gone so far downhill? Because now people expect to be able to complete a game? Where's the "One more go" factor?

Without heading into the muddy waters of the never-ending "score-attack" genre, especially now that games have PROPER endings worth earning, they should be earned. By all means, have a "bad end" if you play on Easy, and a "Good end" if you play through on Hard.
ImageImage

crusto

Post by crusto » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:33 pm

Malekith wrote
Blimey I'd deffo get it then mate! I'll install it later tonight and then maybe we can compare notes in the near future. Best wishes for your operation, although anyone who has Clarence Boddicker as an avatar must be made of stern stuff! 8)
Blockbuster didnt have it in. So ive just ordered it from zavvi. Will hopefully have it by friday.

Eat your nans pants