Difficulty levels now and then.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Alright now or better back then?

I prefer things as they are now.
66%
I love a challenge and a lack of continues or save game, take me back.
9%
I am brilliant either way, neither concerns me.
25%

Total votes: 32

crusto

Difficulty levels now and then.

Post by crusto » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:04 am

I had a quick go on Super Ghouls and Ghosts a couple of days ago on the GBA. Whilst there isn't much doubt about the quality, the difficulty level is unbelievable. I simply haven't got the patience to play a game that is this difficult any more. It would require dedication that I simply could not hope to give to be any good at it, given family life and all that. This made me realise that im actually glad that difficulty levels arent what they used to be. If they were I think I would be gaming a lot less than I would like, or be playing far less games. Dont get me wrong, I like a challenge. But not to the point when I think the console has got something against me :) .

Eat your nans pants

Roo

Re: Difficulty levels now and then.

Post by Roo » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:10 am

I'd rather stand a chance of completing a game I've paid for. My opinion is that life's too short for the distressingly-difficult likes of Mega Man, Contra, Ghost 'n' Goblins and all that.

rapidly-greying

Post by rapidly-greying » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:57 am

I get worse at games at each year passes so the easier the better for me.

I'm also much less tolerant as a gamer now. Boss battles for example do my tits right in,i just dont have the patience to get past a tricky boss. I'll try it a few times until I get bored then the game will undoubtedly never be played again.

I dont want to sail through a game,but I certainly want to see as much of it as possible. I like what Nintendo did with Galaxy 2, allowing the game to do tricky bits for you if you consistently fail in your own attempts.
Keith,Scotland 35,wife n 2 kids,Owned(or own)a NES,SNES,N64,GC,Wii,Gameboy,DS,360,Sega MD,DC+GG,Intellevision, C 64, ZX Spec 48k+,PS1,2+3.Fave games are Zelda,Mario,Leaderboard,Tomb Raider,Bombjack,Pilotwings,Ridge Racer,Ico,Everybody's Golf,DAFC fan.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:00 am

I think of all the spectrum games I played in my youth I probably actually completed a miserable 5 or 6.

Now whenever I play a game I expect to complete it. And I much prefer it this way!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

mrmarvelxiii

Post by mrmarvelxiii » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:34 am

So far I'm the only one to select option 3. I think new games can be made so much harder by changing their difficulty, granted still with auto-saves/checkpoints etc, so that's the advantage of today, is being able to alter the difficulty to your skill thus making them nice and accesable.
Some new games have been spoilt for me by some pretty easy difficulty, Mario Galaxy 2 comes to mind, minus 1 star that game's a cinch.

Some of the more enjoyable games I've played within the past year have been solid and they were my first playthroughs so I had no advantage i.e. Megaman 2+3, Castlevania IV, Contra III, Secret of Mana (the first 6 hours were impossible for me, perhaps due to me being a bit of a moron).

When you breeze through a game, you don't get to know it as well (this is especially true of platformers) whereas some stages from the old days relli stand out, because they took so many goes to complete.

Edit: Just realised that the difficulty you're talking about is lack of saving. Most of the games I mentioned had passwords. If that's the case then I do prefer games from the NES-SNES type era 'cos they do have saves/passwords with some relly rewarding difficulty. But stuff before, competely devoid of any save feature, that may be a bit too difficult for my liking.
Chazz it up!!!

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:29 am

I want to kick back and relax. I don't want difficulty levels that are through the roof, I like a natural difficulty curve.

I also like being told exactly where to go and having large easy to read maps :D

Psychedelicious

Post by Psychedelicious » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:19 pm

I guess I'm mostly attracted by high difficulty level, be it challenge for motoristic skills, long term decision making, memory, time investment or whatever, easy games don't really interest me for long. Now when I think about it, it actually relaxes me to play difficult games and games that require constant attention and management, and playing easy games makes me frustrated and bored quickly. It's highly annoying when games give you a lot of time to learn controls and mechanics in the beginning, I rarely get past the beginning in many games because of that.

Game can also have creative value, like Rollercoaster Tycoon or some other building oriented game. They're not necessarily difficult, but they can still be very interesting, because you ahve more room for imagination and design. Then there's games with good story, which are rare, but are enjoyable for me, even if they are very linear and easy.

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:24 pm

I'm toying with the idea of getting demons souls, despite the difficulty. I've heard so many good things about it and I normally like that type of game. Hopefully it will be worth it.

Eat your nans pants

malekith1979

Post by malekith1979 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:29 pm

crusto wrote:I'm toying with the idea of getting demons souls, despite the difficulty. I've heard so many good things about it and I normally like that type of game. Hopefully it will be worth it.
Me too, in actual fact I have it in my living room right now, although it's been gathering dust for a couple of weeks now. I'm gonna crank it soon, but I've just got to take the plunge! No doubt I'll be passing on my experiences in these hallowed threads very shortly. 8)

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:31 pm

malekith1979 wrote:
crusto wrote:I'm toying with the idea of getting demons souls, despite the difficulty. I've heard so many good things about it and I normally like that type of game. Hopefully it will be worth it.
Me too, in actual fact I have it in my living room right now, although it's been gathering dust for a couple of weeks now. I'm gonna crank it soon, but I've just got to take the plunge! No doubt I'll be passing on my experiences in these hallowed threads very shortly. 8)
Ive got 50 quids worth of credit blockbuster games. I'm going into hospital for a small operation tomorrow. I might treat my self when I come out. You know, a well done for being brave type pressie. :)

Eat your nans pants

malekith1979

Post by malekith1979 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:52 pm

crusto wrote:
malekith1979 wrote:
Ive got 50 quids worth of credit blockbuster games. I'm going into hospital for a small operation tomorrow. I might treat my self when I come out. You know, a well done for being brave type pressie. :)
Blimey I'd deffo get it then mate! I'll install it later tonight and then maybe we can compare notes in the near future. Best wishes for your operation, although anyone who has Clarence Boddicker as an avatar must be made of stern stuff! 8)

RichL

Post by RichL » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:28 pm

Prefer it as it is now - really am quite crap at games now I get older and glad of the check points or save games.

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:17 pm

much prefer it now as i've never completed a spectum game very few ms or md games but from ps2 onwards it's rare that i feel i cannot complete a game even on the higher difficulties.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:30 pm

Blimey I'd deffo get it then mate! I'll install it later tonight and then maybe we can compare notes in the near future. Best wishes for your operation, although anyone who has Clarence Boddicker as an avatar must be made of stern stuff! 8)
:lol: bitches leave!!

Its only minor, got to get a cyst removed from under my eye. But im being knocked out because I dont fancy being awake while someone is that close to my eye with a scalpel! Can you install Games on the ps3? I'd love to do that. The noise from the cd drive does my head in. Even worse than the ps3 is the 360. The old ones sound like fighter planes, and thats before you put a disc in. :)

Eat your nans pants

malekith1979

Post by malekith1979 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:50 pm

crusto wrote:
:lol: bitches leave!!

Its only minor, got to get a cyst removed from under my eye. But im being knocked out because I dont fancy being awake while someone is that close to my eye with a scalpel! Can you install Games on the ps3? I'd love to do that. The noise from the cd drive does my head in. Even worse than the ps3 is the 360. The old ones sound like fighter planes, and thats before you put a disc in. :)
Some games seem to do it automatically (either that or I'm mistaking it for an extremely long loading time!), but not all. Yeh my 360 is an old elite, which was supposed to be an improvement. Still loud as heck though, but not as bad as my Dreamcast used to be! Should've had Qualcast on the lid instead :lol: