GREMLIN GRAPHICS BACK

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

psj3809

Re: GREMLIN GRAPHICS BACK

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:42 pm

Yes please ! Very happy Gremlin will be back, hope its a big success

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:07 pm

Sputryk wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:Monty Mole making-ofs or Harrap 'in the chair', make yourselves known.)
Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! Why 'or'? Why not both! :D
Heh—don't worry. I'm not saying 'a' or 'b'. Pete contacted me, seems very happy to chat about a wide range of his experiences, and so I pitched/repitched a few articles to RG (I think I first pitched a making-of of Monty On The Run around issue 25, but I couldn't track Pete down, so it got left). It's up to Darran and Stu whether or not they follow up on any of this stuff, of course. But something I mentioned here a while back (another 8-bit game) got enough strong responses that the article got commissioned, so I suspect that might happen again if enough people are interested.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:08 pm

Technocop was another Gremlin game I really liked

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:10 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:Heh—don't worry. I'm not saying 'a' or 'b'. Pete contacted me, seems very happy to chat about a wide range of his experiences, and so I pitched/repitched a few articles to RG (I think I first pitched a making-of of Monty On The Run around issue 25, but I couldn't track Pete down, so it got left). It's up to Darran and Stu whether or not they follow up on any of this stuff, of course. But something I mentioned here a while back (another 8-bit game) got enough strong responses that the article got commissioned, so I suspect that might happen again if enough people are interested.
Well surely Pete will be keen as mustard to have an interview with you so he can talk about the upcoming Gremlin iOS games, works out for everyone. Its great to see these old classics appear on modern formats (Despite the first James Pond game being dire), but hope to see more in the future

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:13 pm

To confirm, Pete's already agreed to talk, including about why he quit the industry and returned with Z. He didn't really mention anything about the Gremlin situation, but I suspect that would of course be included in anything written about Monty Mole or Pete's general industry experience.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:42 pm

Jagfest_UK wrote:Bring back Zool and Jack The Nipper!
The article mentions BOTH of them :D

Also, here is the New Bounder in action...............

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/gremlin ... -world-vid

AND lets have all that stuff Craig - making of MOTR would be awesome..... :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:54 am

We should have a Monty special issue. As the loveable character won our poll for Greatest Character...EVER some time ago, he surely deserves a prominent place on the cover if not all to himself; after all, Mario got one but lost in the poll miserably, and Sonic got one and was also beaten by moley.

And Harrap could bring the mole back - a summersaulting, karate-chopping, popgun-totin' rootin' tootin' ninja mole (he learned a lot on his island hideaway!).

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:27 am

markopoloman wrote:The article mentions BOTH of them :D

Also, here is the New Bounder in action...............

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/gremlin ... -world-vid

AND lets have all that stuff Craig - making of MOTR would be awesome..... :D
Looks really good. Hope its not constant 'jump from one small platform to the next' as the original wasnt always like that. But looks impressive, instant buy from me once its out

Waz

Post by Waz » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:56 am

CraigGrannell wrote:To confirm, Pete's already agreed to talk, including about why he quit the industry and returned with Z. He didn't really mention anything about the Gremlin situation
I suspect there might be more reasons behind that one, Craig!

For years whenever I'd visit Sheffield I'd always check out where their HQ was on Carver Street. Even occasionally now when I'm up there for the snooker at the Crucible I occasionally walk past with fond memories, thinking of Ben Daglish producing another tune for one of their games.

I guess Z was always an under-rated game back in the day, it was one I pretty much enjoyed.
Warren Pilkington (Waz)
Former contributor to Zzap! 64, Commodore Format and HVSC
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/zawtowers/
Twitter: @zawtowers

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:04 am

Waz wrote:I suspect there might be more reasons behind that one, Craig!
Well, quite. It hadn't been announced yet.
I guess Z was always an under-rated game back in the day, it was one I pretty much enjoyed.
Seems to be getting reasonable reviews on iOS, too, which is good to see. And Pete seemed enthusiastic in his email, so I reckon the mag could get some great articles from him sharing his memories.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:44 pm

Waz wrote:For years whenever I'd visit Sheffield I'd always check out where their HQ was on Carver Street. Even occasionally now when I'm up there for the snooker at the Crucible I occasionally walk past with fond memories, thinking of Ben Daglish producing another tune for one of their games.
Don't suppose Ben's involved with the new Gremlin by any chance?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:29 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote: Interesting, especially given an email I got last week from a certain 8-bit coder.
Would that be Mr Harrap? He's just coded Z apparently. So he's back on the scene again.
Well, quite, hence the email I sent you early on Monday about the email he sent to me, regarding the things he's happy to talk about! :D (So, er, if any readers would be interested in Jack the Nipper and Monty Mole making-ofs or Harrap 'in the chair', make yourselves known.)
I'd really be interested in the whole hype side of Monty Mole. I watched a few ITN clips when I was working there last year - and the reporters in the old clips were so desperate to make a certain story angle out of it all - would love to hear a bit more about politics and PR of it all. After al, how often do games get political? (Or represented as such)