Has anyone ever given up collecting?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

bensonrad

Re: Has anyone ever given up collecting?

Post by bensonrad » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:31 am

I've always collected Gameboy stuff since I bought it when they first came out, however it was around 1999 when I started to re-collect games, starting with a Snes, I also started going to car booties and discovered ebay not long after, so started buying buying buying. It got to around they year 2003, I figured I was never going to use half of the stuff, so sold off mainly the Sega Stuff, Megadrive, NES, Saturn, N64, my PS1 and just kept the Snes and DC (and the gameboy). 6 months later I bought an N64 again, and ended buying loads of games around 60 or so. Needed money year later, so sold it again. The following xmas, decided I wanted to play Goldeneye again, rebought one, and this time have been careful with what I have bought, literally buying the best 40games for it and sticking at that. The NES & Megadrive both I collected twice since and then sold them all again. 100's of games doh! PS1 fever returned and I bought up literally everything I saw for it, when I hit around 300 games, I thought it was just crazy, so have cut back to my fav 100. The snes collection has just continued, with the only culls being some of the rare games I had to sell to pay some bills (painfully regret now). PS2 and Xbox came alogn on the second hand market, again went crazy, but have now whittled back along with the DC collection.

I am now in a lucky position where I really have pretty much all I want aside a handful of games, the Snes and Gameboy, I'll keep picking up things as and when I see them. I still have way too much, and a fair bit has been cleared with recent sale threads. I am a big arcade game fan, pick up and play and like to have the original releases there to play if/when I get the urge.

Saying all that, the gamecube has just arrived!! uh oh!
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:42 am

Reading this really makes me think I have too many consoles. There are some I could never live without like the saturn and dreamcast. On the other hand the snes and megadrive were consoles I never owned first time around, so I have no nostalgia with them. It would be just as good to download a few titles on wii, if anything I'd probably play them more. With ultimate megadrive collection on 360 I just cant see myself messing around with the megadrive, setting up leads etc. I'm all for original hardware, but there has to be a limit and it really depends on whether you played the games first time around and how much space you have.

The worst part is there are games I don't own and would actually play ,such as panzer dragoon saga, that I haven't bought because they cost too much. Yet there's a load of money tied up in things I'll never touch. Time to sell off some stuff and concentrate on the games I want and consoles I enjoy.

The Mask Seller

Post by The Mask Seller » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:59 am

Since January 2010 I've gone from only owning a PSP and Xbox 360 with about 15 games in total to owning 10 consoles (including hand helds) and about 200 games. I'll only buy what I intend to play (when I get the time) and I've bought nearly everything I want for each (retro) system which averages out about 15-20 games per console. The only platforms I'll be buying for soon will be current generation as new games are released and the price drops. I enjoy the collecting part of the hobby and it pleases me to have a library of cracking games to play but I'm not tempted to focus on any one system or try and get a complete set of anything, it's just not for me. I don't think I'll completely quit collecting but the rate I'm buying stuff will drop considerably.
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:40 am

I'm going to be selling off what I have soon. Just don't have the room to store it and would rather it go to some one who will make use of it.
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:11 am

I have a pretty finite list of games I want across a range of platforms, but none older than Master System, and all SEGA/Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft/PC.

After I complete my list I'm sure I'll keep my eye open for a few games (being a realist I haven't included mega-rare games) but I can't see it extending much further. I agree though that it is addictive; I often have to stop myself bidding on ebay for games, reminding myself that theyr'e not n my list and therefore I don't really want them.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

happyguy151

Post by happyguy151 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:22 am

This topic is kinda depressing :( the general response from most is that they will soon be selling consoles/games or stop collecting altogether.

I know space issues/budget are the main issues that effect us all, unless you live in a huge mansion.

I have around 40 consoles and hundreds of games, but I wont be selling any unless I really have to.
I am doing ok with space at the moment as I put away all the consoles/games I am not currently using into either my attic or one of my cupboards.

People spend their money in different ways. My mate ended up spending £60 on booze last Saturday night whereas I spent £55 on some retro consoles/games and having lots of fun with them. A week later I am still getting my money's worth, unlike him.

MediaCult

Post by MediaCult » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:29 am

I don't collect sports/racing/children's games, but I buy everything else for all the consoles I have. But I'll take a break soon and start playing through it all. It's just those offers here and there that I can't miss, because I KNOW this and that game will get more expensive in the future. I spend way too much money on consoles and games.....
MobyGames profile: http://www.mobygames.com/user/sheet/userSheetId,131075/
PSN/Microsoft/Wii U/STEAM nickname: MediaCult (feel free to add me).

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:50 am

happyguy151 wrote:This topic is kinda depressing :( the general response from most is that they will soon be selling consoles/games or stop collecting altogether.

I know space issues/budget are the main issues that effect us all, unless you live in a huge mansion.

I have around 40 consoles and hundreds of games, but I wont be selling any unless I really have to.
I am doing ok with space at the moment as I put away all the consoles/games I am not currently using into either my attic or one of my cupboards.

People spend their money in different ways. My mate ended up spending £60 on booze last Saturday night whereas I spent £55 on some retro consoles/games and having lots of fun with them. A week later I am still getting my money's worth, unlike him.
Maybe it is a little gloomy but i think its an important subject that highlights the importance of balancing out buying vs actually playing the games. I know i certainly spend a great deal of time eyeing up games i want on Ebay rather than using that time to get through the 50+ games piled up in my room, some waiting to even get started on. Like many others i just get the compulsive desire to have more and more and its not particularly healthy. In fact ive practically stopped buying current gen games because its a waste of my money right now. I bought Dead Rising 2, Final Fantasy 13 and both BlazBlue games on release costing me over £100. They have practically not been played.

And as for your friend who spent £60 on alchohol, i dont see that as a waste really. Id say its much sadder to focus your wages almost exclusively on games. It does occur to me after a night out that the £30 i spent might have gone towards something on my want list but at the end of the day there are other pleasures to be had with your money, no matter how brief they may be.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:54 am

ShadowNeku wrote:And as for your friend who spent £60 on alchohol, i dont see that as a waste really.
+1 to that! :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:11 pm

I've never really 'collected' games, that is to say I still have collections on various formats that I've owned over the years, but the games I have are all ones that I intended to play (not bought for the sake of collection).

Currently I only have 8 PS3 games and all my PSP games are digital downloads (around 30 or so - I dread to think how much I must have spent on them!)

thesubcon3

Post by thesubcon3 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:34 pm

I've tried thinning out my collection as well. Instead of collecting anything and everything I've narrowed every system down to essentials. Anything non-essential I also sold off, however I still have tons and tons of games as there are a lot of great ones.

Here is how I mitigate things. I don't spend more than $10 on any used game period. Exceptions are made on extremely rare games that I can get cheap (EX: If I saw Earthbound for $60), but I generally don't deviate too often. Also, I now don't allow myself to buy on Amazon or eBay to avoid getting entirely too much too quickly.

As a compromise, I do allow myself one major newer purchase a month. One month I got Pier Solar, another I got Zelda 3D. For July I don't think there are any games on my list so I might get the new Genesis RPG that was highlighted in the Zelda issue of RG.

We never "quit" collecting, we just take breaks. 8)

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:37 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:
happyguy151 wrote:This topic is kinda depressing :( the general response from most is that they will soon be selling consoles/games or stop collecting altogether.

Maybe it is a little gloomy but i think its an important subject that highlights the importance of balancing out buying vs actually playing the games. I know i certainly spend a great deal of time eyeing up games i want on Ebay rather than using that time to get through the 50+ games piled up in my room, some waiting to even get started on. Like many others i just get the compulsive desire to have more and more and its not particularly healthy. In fact ive practically stopped buying current gen games because its a waste of my money right now. I bought Dead Rising 2, Final Fantasy 13 and both BlazBlue games on release costing me over £100. They have practically not been played.

And as for your friend who spent £60 on alchohol, i dont see that as a waste really. Id say its much sadder to focus your wages almost exclusively on games. It does occur to me after a night out that the £30 i spent might have gone towards something on my want list but at the end of the day there are other pleasures to be had with your money, no matter how brief they may be.
I couldn't think of anything sadder than spending £60 on alcohol.. Once we had to take the pisshead kids down the Morgue to show them a body of a dead alcoholic's who choked on their own Vomit, and the little hard men where crying..

So when your teeth are all rotted out from drinking, and you have Cirrhosis scarring of the liver, lungs of a 60-year-old(in your 20's), tell me if you see it as a waste!!! My family/friends and my Girlfriend of 9 years all play games, and out of all my friends only one drinks.. Gaming is mainstream now
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:41 pm

I only drink if it's free.. More money for games. :lol:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:37 pm

This is the dilemma i went through a few months back. I ummed and ahhed about what i was doing with my money, and seriously considered getting rid of the lot, but the truth is i love games, so i doubt i could ever completely stop, even if i wanted to.

What i have done is reduce the amount of consoles i own and only collect for the ones i really enjoy playing. In my case i've gone from around 25 different consoles/handhelds to just a handful (although i tend to keep multiples of hardware....i know, i know.... i can't help it :lol: ). Effectively this means i only collect for Nintendo machinery.

I'm thinking of focussing even further and just getting complete stuff and getting rid of my cart only games and N64's as i rarely set 'em up and still can't get into it with any degree of enthusiasm. (this wouldn't apply to the SNES, as i can't afford a decent boxed collection...carts are the way to go :D ) This theory has the added benefit of me not having to buy everybloodything retro i clap my eyes on....although I'll be honest, i find this difficult, i really do, especially when walking around carboots :oops:

I do have several other machines, but i generally only use these to test games/peripherals and don't collect for them as such, just keep the odd 'honoured' game here and there. :)
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:42 pm

Shinobi wrote:I couldn't think of anything sadder than spending £60 on alcohol.. Once we had to take the pisshead kids down the Morgue to show them a body of a dead alcoholic's who choked on their own Vomit, and the little hard men where crying..

So when your teeth are all rotted out from drinking, and you have Cirrhosis scarring of the liver, lungs of a 60-year-old(in your 20's), tell me if you see it as a waste!!! My family/friends and my Girlfriend of 9 years all play games, and out of all my friends only one drinks.. Gaming is mainstream now
If that £60 spent was all for him on one night and he does it on a regular basis, ok sure that is awful. I was assuming he either bought a load of booze to last him a while or he bought other people drinks aswell.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!