Has anyone ever given up collecting?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

GigaPepsiMan

Has anyone ever given up collecting?

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:07 am

Just a curious question.
So those of you wit5h long memorys will remember when I sold off most of my games collection a few months back, before I started selling my collection sat at about 600+ games more than I ever needed to play but after a while I just got sick of having them, they took up too much room, a lot of them I didn't playu anymore and being honest retro hardware isn't that great (NES was a nightmare as it would have trouble playing games all the time) so I decided to get rid of everything for the benifit of more space and more money. Now my games collection sits at 200+ games, I only own games from the PS1 onwards (gameboy onwards with handhelds) now and even with those consoles a lot of games were sold off, my gamecube collection one had as many as 115 games in it, now I have have 40 gamecube games. Put it simply I've made myself more picky with what I play.
As for the old consoles, well I still have ways of playing the games.

Anyway who else has done something like this?

The Laird

Re: Has anyone ever given up collecting?

Post by The Laird » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:28 am

I don't think I will ever give up :lol:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:43 am

I try to. I used to buy almost anything purely for the sake of it but I've stopped now. I sold off my SNES games (kept the system in case I want to go down the route of imports which I have some interest in), got really strict on how good a game has to be for me to keep it cluttering up the place and I've also slimmed my PS1 and MD collections down considerably. Oh and I sold my 32X, GB Micro and CD32 machines too. Plus my N64 and NES last year.

Came close to getting rid of my 3DO too but managed to restrain myself there.

Gotta feeling that I might have to dump some more stuff in the near future though, simply because I don't have the room or time anymore.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:48 am

Like mixer i tried.It's just easier to emulate on lappy if you fancy a quick game of an old classic.Comps are getting on a bit.You could spend the rest of your life collecting for numerous consoles+computers.Sometimes would question sanity of it all.
Last edited by Fred83 on Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GigaPepsiMan

Post by GigaPepsiMan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:05 pm

To be fair some consoles can't be emulated even with an emulator. N64 on an emulator feels wrong when compared to playing an original. It is like this because of the way the console is designed I suppose. Snes etc on an emulator feels pretty natural.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:54 pm

I'm about to hit the 2000 game mark and am having to rethink my collection entirely now, mainly due to space. 19 bookcases in the games room and I'm still struggling to fit everything in. I have no intention of selling off major amounts, and there's plenty more I want, but I think chopping a few games from my least favourite systems is going to have to be done. It's bloody difficult though, bit of a hording mentality and the bother of having to post tons of parcels is something which is putting me off getting rid.

I don't emulate much though, never have, and the past few months where I've dedicated time to playing every game in the room has been great fun (rather than just buying and buying without much playing). Guess I'm coming out of that first stage of my collection where I buy pretty much anything and into the stage where there's large collections of a few consoles and only the best on others.

keldon

Post by keldon » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:01 pm

I've had to re-engineer my thought process on what I wanted to collect a couple times. It was pretty much space issues as well. I started off going for complete collection for certain systems and as I got closer to that goal for some of the systems, I choose to back off and instead go after only the stuff I knew I really wanted.

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Sun Jul 17, 2011 1:56 pm

I have as well started to trim down my collection somewhat, I have sold a PC Engine, Famicom Disc System, Atart 7800 to name a few, as well as the odd console that I had "spare" of for some reason.

I have cut down my game collection a bit as well, I am trying only really to have around 20-30 games per system now - otherwise it just gets crazy.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:02 pm

I have given up hope of ever going for a pure 100% complete collection, I am always switching systems but I now have a happy place where I have found all the consoles I want and just pick up the games I like for them, little different with current gen as new games are always coming out.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:26 pm

No, only had one brief sales thread on here where I sold a couple of spare systems and a couple of games. The people who tend to sell go on mad splurges for a system over a v. short space of time and sell almost as quick. I have no intention of selling anything but only buy 2 or 3 games a month now which is a significant reduction.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:44 pm

Aye!

I had about 500 games when I suddenly realised what a tool I was being. I had shelves stacked full of games I knew fine well I'd never play (truth be told I either play next-gen current games or I emulate via compilation discs/XBLA/PSN/Steam) and I realised how sad it was. Sold off everything that held no sentimental value and still have that money set aside to pay for a trip to Canada.

I still have that collecting gene :lol: I've been hoarding things ever since I was a kid, toys with cerial, trading cards, happy meal toys, etc etc. It's severely held back these days though. I've got a car to pay for, a dog to look after, a girlfriend, etc etc. Whatever spare money I have goes toward things I'll enjoy, not a rare game that'll never be touched.

More power to those that do collect though, I absolutely love seeing everyone's collections :o I never cease to be impressed

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:49 pm

I've no real intention of getting rid of what I've got but my days of picking stuff up left, right and centre are gone now, my collections about as big as it needs to be, there's the odd retro game I woudn't mind getting at some point and I'll be picking up the odd new release.
Splink!

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Given up buying censored I'm not gonna play yeah, cept JRPGs that I'll play after I learn Japanese. Also trimmed my video games to these:

Logged out 15/07/2014.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:19 pm

I did stop collecting on my Megaman collection for a brief period after some censored at parcel force stole 2 very rare MM Gameboy games I picked up on eBay :evil: Thankfully the package was ensured but as it was next to impossible to track them down once I totally lost all motivation to attempt to track them down again for a couple of months...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:48 pm

I'm 34 now, I've been collecting since I was about 10, although the stuff before then I was given to keep, I've probably owned around 30-35 pieces of hardware and hundreds of games over the years and as much as I'd love to have kept them all, reality kicks in and money shortages through your life etc etc so i keep my hardware to a minimum nowadays, ds, psp, xbox, ps3 all homebrew 'capable' as they say nowadays... I'm actually looking forward to Apples home console whatever form it takes, cheaper gaming for the masses...