Only say something good about games!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

C=Style

Re: Only say something good about games!

Post by C=Style » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:43 pm

hehehe :mrgreen:

Sorry Mootown, I won't rise to the bait anymore. 8)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:44 pm

C=Style wrote:You don't actually know me or my gaming habits so it's interesting you say that. Explain how I'm biased please? :wink: :D
OMFG is this a serious post?

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:47 pm

I was kinda joking but I'd still like you to answer the question though. Considering I play on a variety of machines and I didn't stop gaming when PS1 hit the scene. I just enjoy Nintendo games, not biased. I'm not being serious either, it's a Saturday night ffs lol :wink:

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:50 pm

I can see why, Nintendo have consistantly made some of the best games for such a long time now.

I missed a lot of there stuff after the N64 and a lot is good. Even games like Luigis Mansion is a game I would never have looked at back then but it is utterly charming now.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:00 pm

Yeah Luigi's Mansion is a cool little game. :)

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:02 am

Remember when bat and ball games were back in fashion? There was sort of a second coming of those games following Arkanoid, each of them with their own idea how to offer enhancements. There were decent conversions on all the home machines of Arkanoid itself, but the one I remember best of all perhaps was ...TRAZ for its co-op mode which me and my dad played to death. Then there was Krakout, famously underrated by Zzap! but easy to like, with crisp graphics, an unusual horizontal perspective and zany Ben Dalglish tunes. Arkanoid II was great, with lots of interesting addons, particularly the split-into-three ball that kept respawning, or the special pickup that would spawn a load of orange "breakthrough" balls that would just plough their way through loads of bricks. And there were decent budget offerings like Ball Blasta, Batty and so on ...

As I said, my dad liked a bit of ...TRAZ and bat and ball games generally, he's got back into gaming recently after a bit of a break. He has put literally hundreds of hours into Borderlands and has completed Mass Effect 1 & 2, Dragon Age: Origins and KOTOR, some of them more than once. Gaming: fun for people of all ages! Anyone else with a parent who's interesting in gaming?
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:56 am

Havantgottaclue wrote:Remember when bat and ball games were back in fashion? There was sort of a second coming of those games following Arkanoid, each of them with their own idea how to offer enhancements. There were decent conversions on all the home machines of Arkanoid itself, but the one I remember best of all perhaps was ...TRAZ for its co-op mode which me and my dad played to death. Then there was Krakout, famously underrated by Zzap! but easy to like, with crisp graphics, an unusual horizontal perspective and zany Ben Dalglish tunes. Arkanoid II was great, with lots of interesting addons, particularly the split-into-three ball that kept respawning, or the special pickup that would spawn a load of orange "breakthrough" balls that would just plough their way through loads of bricks. And there were decent budget offerings like Ball Blasta, Batty and so on ...

As I said, my dad liked a bit of ...TRAZ and bat and ball games generally, he's got back into gaming recently after a bit of a break. He has put literally hundreds of hours into Borderlands and has completed Mass Effect 1 & 2, Dragon Age: Origins and KOTOR, some of them more than once. Gaming: fun for people of all ages! Anyone else with a parent who's interesting in gaming?
The only game my Mum has every played is Mr. Do! on the Colecovision and she was seriously amazing at it!

Another excellent bat and ball game was Impact! on the ST.

Had a terrific level editor too.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:13 am

Oh Saturn, how I love thee.
Athlete Kings, the greatest button bashing athletics game ever.
Baku Baku, the greatest non-Tetris puzzler ever.
Daytona and Sega Rally, the greatest arcade racers ever.
Fighters Megamix, the greatest polygon fighter ever.
Saturn Bomberman, Sonic Jam, Worldwide Soccer, Panzer Dragoon and I'll stop before I explode.

malekith1979

Post by malekith1979 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:36 am

Can I say how much I love the Silent Hill series? Even the dodgy ones like Origins, The Room, and Homecoming. Just playing through the 1st one again and I don't care that the gfx are ropier than a cargo net, it's the amazing sound that does it for me. So much so that I bought the entire box set of soundtracks on CD. Super! It's nice to be able to play the US version at last so I get the proper grey children and their rather creepy noises rather than the silly "mumblers". I've even got the main theme tune on my mobile as an alarm clock. Akira Yamaoka, I salute thee.
That was nice, I feel really positive now!
Plus maybe a little bit obsessive..... :lol:

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:50 am

malekith1979 wrote:Can I say how much I love the Silent Hill series? Even the dodgy ones like Origins, The Room, and Homecoming. Just playing through the 1st one again and I don't care that the gfx are ropier than a cargo net, it's the amazing sound that does it for me. So much so that I bought the entire box set of soundtracks on CD. Super! It's nice to be able to play the US version at last so I get the proper grey children and their rather creepy noises rather than the silly "mumblers". I've even got the main theme tune on my mobile as an alarm clock. Akira Yamaoka, I salute thee.
The music in Shadows of the Damned is fantastic, also done by Yamaoka.
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

malekith1979

Post by malekith1979 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:44 am

nakamura wrote:
malekith1979 wrote:Can I say how much I love the Silent Hill series? Even the dodgy ones like Origins, The Room, and Homecoming. Just playing through the 1st one again and I don't care that the gfx are ropier than a cargo net, it's the amazing sound that does it for me. So much so that I bought the entire box set of soundtracks on CD. Super! It's nice to be able to play the US version at last so I get the proper grey children and their rather creepy noises rather than the silly "mumblers". I've even got the main theme tune on my mobile as an alarm clock. Akira Yamaoka, I salute thee.
The music in Shadows of the Damned is fantastic, also done by Yamaoka.
Yeah, I especially like the odd little tune on the loading screen when your puppet lookalike is strolling along. A musical hero of mine to be sure!

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:16 am

I haven't mentioned it in a while but EDF 2017 on the 360 is THE game to own, yes it has it's flaws but I've rarely had more fun blasting the crap out of things, Monster Attack and Global Defence Force are also worth picking up for those with a PS2. I'm afraid I'm going to have to be a d*ckhead though and say that I don't think Insect Armageddon will live up to 2017, sorry.
Splink!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:22 am

You aren't being a willy head when you are posting truth. :)

I have Global Defence Force and it is pure gaming heaven. It doesn't pretend to be anything other than a crazy out and out blaster.

Oh, and Katamari Damacy. I cannot imagine even the biggest haters of modern gaming to not like this wonderful game. Pure score attack gaming created on a shoe string budget compared to many games at the time. The idea also came from a school project by the creator Keita Takahashi.
Who says gaming is soulless.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:35 am

nakamura wrote:You aren't being a willy head when you are posting truth. :)

I have Global Defence Force and it is pure gaming heaven. It doesn't pretend to be anything other than a crazy out and out blaster.

Oh, and Katamari Damacy. I cannot imagine even the biggest haters of modern gaming to not like this wonderful game. Pure score attack gaming created on a shoe string budget compared to many games at the time. The idea also came from a school project by the creator Keita Takahashi.
Who says gaming is soulless.
Oh yes, I loves me some Katamari, there's just something about rolling up people and buildings and eventually planets that makes me smile.
Splink!

The Mask Seller

Post by The Mask Seller » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:47 am

The 'be-DING!' chime from switching on a Gameboy makes me smile. I also find the weight of a N64 cartridge quite pleasing.
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."