Only say something good about games!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Mootown

Only say something good about games!

Post by Mootown » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:16 pm

This forum is way too negative recently, and not in a people having different opinions kind of way, more everything seems to be an ongoing battle to censored things off. Most threads turn to crap while people argue over how nothing is good.

So I'm going to inject a slice of positivity - in this thread only post if you are saying a positive thing about a game! Retro preferably :)

And the only rule is if you post negatively in this thread you are instantly a massive d**khead.
The only way out of being branded a massive d**khead is to counter anything negative with a positive. Karma and all that.

It's probably a bad idea in this cynical place but I'm in too positive a mood to care.

Anyway, Head over Heels. What an ace game. I like them all but I prefer the C64 version even though the graphics aren't the best of the bunch but I like the music more and the gameplay remains up to par. I flippin' love it. Great character designs as well.

DigitalDuck

Re: Only say something good about games!

Post by DigitalDuck » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:34 pm

Mootown wrote:And the only rule is if you post negatively in this thread you are instantly a massive d**khead.
But isn't that something negative in itself? :lol:

I guess I'll talk about Sonic 3 & Knuckles, my favourite game of all time. It took everything that Sonic 2 had and tuned it to perfection. The slightly annoying speedcap from Sonic 1/2 was removed, the special stages are an addictive enough game in their own right, and Tails is actually incredibly useful. All the characters play similarly enough to warrant being in the same game, yet differently enough to warrant playing each one. 14 zones, most of them with completely different routes through as Sonic or Knuckles, and even though Tails often takes the same route as Sonic, there are lots of little shortcuts he can take, along with a unique path in Launch Base Zone, so there's plenty of replay value. The gameplay itself just gives you so much freedom; the level geometry + physics means you can perform crazy jumps off walls, bounce your way across the level, do pretty much whatever you want. Not to mention the great graphics and awesome music.

Is that what you wanted?
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:38 pm

Atari (the real one) - If it wasn't for them we probably wouldn't have had a video games market at all they took games from the mainframes of geeky colleges and put them into arcades and into our homes. So thankyou Bushnell, Dabney, Alcorn and the rest!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:40 pm

Sega - for doing what Nintendon't. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:40 pm

I like games a lot, except the ones I don't (they're like... well sh1t!)

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:41 pm

Woop! It's going well so far :) Atari were indeed awesome - I used to proper love playing Combat on the 2600 with my mates. I think it's the first multi-player game I ever played, after Pong on the good old Binatone console!

And Sonic and Knuckles is ace too - really clever how they made the cartridge design so it did things to the other games as well. I used to like plugging Sonic 1 into it and you got a graphic of Sonic waving his finger telling you it didn't work..

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:42 pm

One added benefit of playing games is that it's very difficult to argue on a forum while doing so. :mrgreen:
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:42 pm

Dreamcast and SScott - you're currently 'Neutral' with your comments :)

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:43 pm

Havantgottaclue wrote:One added benefit of playing games is that it's very difficult to argue on a forum while doing so. :mrgreen:
ha!
And also, as you well know HGAC Atari well rocks!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:44 pm

Mootown wrote:Dreamcast and SScott - you're currently 'Neutral' with your comments :)
:lol:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:45 pm

Mootown wrote:Dreamcast and SScott - you're currently 'Neutral' with your comments :)
Right, that's fighting talk - you calling me Switzerland!

I think we need a 3DS thread!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:48 pm

Jetpac (ZX Spectrum) - a beautifully executed masterpiece that played like a true arcade game.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:53 pm

I'm feeling good about this thread. I even like the picture of Switzerland, lovely place. I went there once, it was quite expensive but worth it. Plus I visited the home of HR Gieger (of Aliens fame) and it was super cool. There was an art gallery of all his crazy artwork and lifesize Alien statues sat around a dining table.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:56 pm

sscott wrote:And also, as you well know HGAC Atari well rocks!
Yeah! I would love to see a conversion of Wizball for the A8. It has the definitive version of Dropzone, it could've had a tasty version of Wizball too, maybe with a nice colour-gradient horizon like Attack of the Mutant Camels had.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:57 pm

Tempest 2000 (Jag) and Rez (DC) - for the best legal high one can get. Allegedly!