sega dreamcast collectors thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

snowkatt

sega dreamcast collectors thread

Post by snowkatt » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:17 am

is there one ? if so kil this thread
if not consider this the start for all things dreamcast related

my dreamcast collection isnt vast but i do have a few games
mostly the usual suspects
sonic adventure soul calibur resident evil 2 3 and cod veronica
crazy taxi 1 and 2 marvel vs capcom 2 ( bleh ) grandia 2 virtua tennis 1 and 2 and others
and a vga box i am not using
Last edited by snowkatt on Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

jdanddiet

Re: sega dreamcast collectors thread

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:20 am

I bought Soldier of Fortune at lunchtime from a charity shop for £1.50. Makes a change from Chu Chu Rocket :wink:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:37 am

jdanddiet wrote:I bought Soldier of Fortune at lunchtime from a charity shop for £1.50. Makes a change from Chu Chu Rocket :wink:
just a small one ;)

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:46 am

jdanddiet wrote:I bought Soldier of Fortune at lunchtime from a charity shop for £1.50. Makes a change from Chu Chu Rocket :wink:
:? was'nt there 2 versions? later had violence etc toned down? Mate who gave me my copy claimed there was and said copy was 'Going to be pretty rare' due to censorship issues of later versions....

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:47 am

first i heard of that

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:51 am

snowkatt wrote:first i heard of that
:lol: Yeah, i have my doubts, but same mate did later give me his original copy of The Getaway (PS2) one that had the B.T logos on the vans, B.T kicked up had them removed from later versions...so wondering if there was anything to the Solider Of Fortune DC claim.

This place usually the place to ask...

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:55 am

Out of 171 I own Giga Wing (which you need to play with arcade stick) is the one I play the most, still love the original Metropolis Street Racer, Soul Calibur, Sonic Adventure, Virtua Tennis 2, Marvel vs Capcom 2, Bangai-o and Street Fighter 2: Double Impact.
Quake III originally got me playing online via the 33k modem!

Got loads I've bought and not played such as:
Dragon Riders: Chronicles of Pern
Spawn: In the Demon's Hand
Evil Dead: Hail to the King!
Evolution 2 and many others....

46 to go for a complete collection but I'm not rushing it, taken me 4 yrs to get this far!

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:59 am

Got about 50 games. My original console boxed and mint, blue hello kitty japanese console, arcade stick and a bunch of great games. Still got a few shmups left to go and the odd uk game like powerstone 2. Seem to have about 5 VMU's too. They all have capcom logos and other nonsense from the mini games I tried to download on them (all of which were sh*t :) )

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:42 pm

Rather than simply posting a list of all the Dreamcast games I own it's probably more interesting to list the items I like owning the most...

* Samba de Amigo official maracas box set (CIB)

* Sega Dreameye digital camera/webcam (BNIB)

* Cosmic Smash (CIB) - gotta love what they did with the DVD case design

* Segagaga (CIB) - just the fat black DVD case release

* Densha de Go 2 (BNIB) and the proprietary controller (CIB)

* Homebrew releases including the likes of Dux, Last Hope: Pink Bullets, Rush Rush Rally Racing and Irides: Master of Blocks (standard and limited edition releases)

* Peripherals including the official Arcade Stick, keyboard, mouse, semi-transpaent yellow controller, VGA box, Ferrari steering wheel and fishing rod controller

Oh, and my launch day Dreamcast still works perfectly too! :D
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:00 pm

Samba Boxsets will be one of my last big purchases (might purchase it next month maybe). Moho, Project Justice, Evil Twin, Tokyo Highway Challenge 2, Sonic Shuffle and Aero Wings 2 still needed that will cost me a bit too.

Nice little visual site here for games, worth looking at:

http://dcarchive.segaonline.nl/About.html

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:01 pm

I opened my DC box the other week to rediscover the mint boxed Pop n Music controller I bought a couple of years back. I should really try it out sometime soon as its a nice little oddity.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:06 pm

Mine runs copies better than it does genuine discs - this is why it seems to get most use these days as an emulator. I've got nothing rare or expensive, nothing I've not burnt anyway!

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:24 pm

Have just started collecting for the Dreamcast properly (as I've ended up with 120 odd games and most boxed accessories without really 'trying'), so have a few biggies on my list to purchase by the end of the year: Samba de Amigo, Sonic Shuffle, Marvel vs Capcom 2, some Japanese games, VGA box (next months purchase methinks).

All time favourites for the Dreamcast - Sonic Adventure (although only just; I'd never got very far before, but am now about to 'complete' most of the characters), Metropolis Street Racer, Virtua Tennis (and Virtua Tennis 2), Crazy Taxi, Dead or Alive 2, Shenmue.

Have a fair few dozen games that I've not yet played (Skies of Arcadia, Grandia II, Marvel vs Capcom, Le Mans to name some of the most notable), but am currently going through all of them which is unearthing some gems. I dismissed Tokyo Highway Challenge as a bit of a crap game for instance; but playing it with the Steering Wheel I'm having loads of fun. Similar thing with many of the PC ports that I dismissed at the time, for instance Quake 3 which is now becoming a firm favourite and much closer to the experience I had on the PC.

Dreamcast is a wierd console for me though. My Master system and mega Drive are definately nostalgia trips, at least initially, and whilst there's tons of great games that I've picked up, neither quite satisfy me game-wise. The DC, a console I bought shortly after starting work and played a lot but somehow drifted away from, (probably due to the PC-upgrade war I was engaged in at the time) only really got my attention when I took it with me when I moved away. I had a fair few games and it toally captivated me again - but money being short and a messy break up meant I sold it all for a stupidly low price. Since getting back into gaming, and more specifically retro gaming, the DC was always an after thought (I wanted one and games, but it was always either Master System, Mega Drive, Saturn or other platforms that were top of the agenda), but the last year I've finally realised that the Dreamcast has all the games I want - quick Arcade thrill rides, deep sports and racing games, a smattering of Strategy and decent FPS's, as well as having some of the finest examples of genres I've never been into, but not so many examples that you get bogged down by which is best (RPG's for instance, but same goes for Fighters and shmups). It's also exceptionally easy to get hold of most titles and can often find games/systems in charity shops and the like - but without the PS1 curse of most being rubbish games in rubbish condition.

Yup, love the Dreamcast!

retrosofer

Post by retrosofer » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:39 pm

The Dreamcast is awsome, i bought one of these 4 or 5 years ago now give or take. Never owned one in the day, had gone off gaming around that era, but wish i had discovered and bought one. The Dreamcast also led me on to getting a Saturn, which is now my favorite console.
I'm not going after a complete collection, just games that i particularly want to play, think theres about 20-25 games left that i want.
So far i got 44 games. The games i'm most pleased about owning so far are Shenmue 1/2, Nomad Soul, Nightmare Creatures 2, Sonic Adventure 1/2, Silver.

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:52 pm

:lol: Recal that oracle of wisdom, The Sun reporting (under it's showbiz pages) that Jordan had missed an important UK DC launch event, because she was having an enema at the time.....

Anywho, how about the more promising DC games that sadly never made it:Take The Bullet (FPS with a difference) and Agartha (adventure game set in 1929 Romanian Village) by No Cliche, developers of Toy Commander etc.

Also Grand Prix 3, System Shock 2 and Independce Wars 2 PC-DC conversions, sadly killed off.

Also saw Galleon, Max Payne, Halo, Last Ninja down for release as DC, wonder if work ever started on any of them?.