3DS Games discussion/Collecting thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

batman877

Re: 3DS Games discussion/Collecting thread

Post by batman877 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:01 am

pratty wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:56 pm
Here's a download code for a retro NES Samus/Metroid 3DS background theme, for the first taker. :)

B18M P86M 2YCQ 8L4K
Thanks Pratty! I claimed it this morning. Cheers. :D

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:48 am

No probs, glad it went to good use. :)
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Nin10dofan

Post by Nin10dofan » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:54 am

does anyone play fantasy pirates online.

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:17 pm

I was looking into buying a 3DS XL, and then Nintendo announced they were ending production of it. Now it's either sold out or has jacked up prices. Does anyone think prices will reduce again?

My main reasons for getting one were for some of more the unique dual-screen games and 16-bit style RPGs across the DS range.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:42 am

TheAlex wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:17 pm
I was looking into buying a 3DS XL, and then Nintendo announced they were ending production of it. Now it's either sold out or has jacked up prices. Does anyone think prices will reduce again?

My main reasons for getting one were for some of more the unique dual-screen games and 16-bit style RPGs across the DS range.
I suspect it was only the 2DS XL that was still being manufactured. In the UK at least, sealed brand new 3DS XLs have been rare and expensive for some time. I don't see the prices for new units ever coming down, unless you get lucky in an eBay auction, even then it probably won't be bargain cheap.

Buy-it-now prices for used units on eBay are more or less still as they were, starting at around £65, so that's probably your best bet. I've picked up "as new" condition New 3DS XLs for around £90-100 which I think is pretty good, but you can probably get the standard XL in good condition for around £70-80. Might be worth looking at unit & games bundles for the best overall deal.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:49 am

TheAlex wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:17 pm

You may get lucky with Argos as they still have New 3DS XL cheap may be worth checking If your local store has them. Problem is all the scalper scum buying them up to sell at inflated prices.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:00 pm

Thanks - I'm not sure how I missed those on ebay (the cheapest "New" 3DS XLs without faults are £100, but cheaper than I thought). There's a seller with 6 new "New" 3DS XLs for £135, though their only feedback is as a buyer so I'm suspicious. I'll keep a look out!

No luck with Argos - the 3DS console doesn't show in searches for me.

Nin10dofan

Post by Nin10dofan » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:54 pm

@TheAlex Cex have some good prices

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:47 am

I got lucky with Argos today and got 3DS Monster Hunter and Animal Crossing for £1.25 each.

Sadly the Mario & Luigi game that was also £1.25 was out of stock. Surprisingly all the other cheap games like Yo Kai Watch where in stock.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:53 am

I'm beginning to hate Argos. I thought I'd got Bowser's Inside Story & Bowser Jrs Journey for £19.99, but they won't ship and they're not in stock locally. This happens all the time for me with Argos now - they should sort their website out. Rubbish like this is why companies go out of business.

I'm currently debating whether to spend £45 on a used Solatorobo: Red the Hunter. It seems I've missed the boat on new/used prices for some games I'd like. I also hope to get Chrono Trigger.

Thanks @Nin10dofan. I feel like it's pot-luck with CEX. I want a boxed New 3DS XL, and they don't grade them well enough to know what condition the console is in. I'll pop into a local CEX in a couple of weeks so I can see for myself if I haven't bought one online by then.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:31 pm

TheAlex wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:53 am
I'm currently debating whether to spend £45 on a used Solatorobo: Red the Hunter. It seems I've missed the boat on new/used prices for some games I'd like. I also hope to get Chrono Trigger.
You have to be careful with used desirable DS games. There's some good fakes around, even boxed PAL games with manuals can still be fake. There's a few tells but I think the important one is matching the middle four numbers/letters on the label with first four printed on the back of the cart.

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:10 pm

pratty wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:31 pm
TheAlex wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:53 am
You have to be careful with used desirable DS games. There's some good fakes around, even boxed PAL games with manuals can still be fake. There's a few tells but I think the important one is matching the middle four numbers/letters on the label with first four printed on the back of the cart.
Thanks - I'll check this for every game I buy.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:45 pm

TheAlex wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 5:10 pm
Thanks - I'll check this for every game I buy.
No worries. A few other tips:

Try to buy UK/Euro versions where possible. North American games have the ESRB age rating and black thin cases, Euro games have the Pegi and/or USK age rating and thick clear cases. Any difference to this should be considered suspect.

Official cases should have the Nintendo DS logo vertically etched into the plastic on the right side of the inside of the case, next to where the game goes. It's not a guarantee of a genuine copy but if it's missing they be suspect of it.

An official Euro case should have one single vertical plastic fin to the right of the booklets to help hold them in place. If it has two then consider it suspect.

Avoid loose cart only games in small clear cartridge cases.

Avoid sellers selling multiples of rare games.

Nintendo published Euro DS games often have Club Nintendo information printed on the reverse of the case sleeve, which can be seen when the case is open. If you see this on a Nintendo related game that's a good sign.

North American games carry the "Official Nintendo Seal" logo. Euro games carry the "Official Nintendo Seal Of Approval" logo. Any deviation to this should be considered suspect.

Cartridge labels should be on straight and very close to being centred perfectly. Any slanted sticker is suspect.

There is a white border at the bottom of the cartridge sticker with a serial number. The should be more space in the border below it than above it, however there should be clear space between the lettering and the top edge of the border. If the lettering goes right up to the top edge of the border then it's suspect.

I believe official Pokémon carts are black rather than the usual dark grey ones.

Email online sellers in advance and get assurance from them. It's not a guarantee as they may not be aware that the game isn't genuine but it at least covers you if you get an assurance from them in writing before you buy. Maybe ask where they bought the game if they remember. Ask if the game has had any saving issues or compatibility problems with the 3DS models. If a game is sold as only working on DS systems but not 3DS or DSi then it's a fake.

Hope that helps.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:45 pm

Virtues Last Reward is only £4 on the eshop for the rest of the month.

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:32 pm

pratty wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:45 pm
Virtues Last Reward is only £4 on the eshop for the rest of the month.
I hadn't heard of this but it looks good, so I bought a physical copy from CEX for £6.
pratty wrote:
Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:45 pm
Hope that helps.
Very helpful, thanks again. I also thought it might be a good idea to check the barcodes online to check they match to the correct game. Everything I've bought looks good so far, though Bravely Second is new and sealed (I won't open it yet in case I never get around to playing it) and the cover print quality looks a bit suspect, but that might just be the way it is from looking at pictures online. The seal has the Nintendo strip around it.