3DS Games discussion/Collecting thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

samhain81

Re: 3DS Games discussion/Collecting thread

Post by samhain81 » Fri May 24, 2013 7:26 am

ShadowMan wrote:My copy of DK arrived today, played through the first two worlds (including the unlockable level for each) and its pretty much what I expected. Its a very good port of the Wii version that bar looking not quite as nice plays just as well if not better thanks to the improved controls. I'd forgotten how challenging the unlockable levels were (took a few tries to beat the first one, then breezed through the second one). Only real disappointment is the 3D effect which is pretty poor in my opinion, I turned it off bar for a couple of the more impressive stages in world 2. Can't wait to unlock the new secret world, I'm very much looking forward to the all new levels...
Would you say theres a need to buy it? I've had donkey kong country returns wii sitting on my shelf for nearly a year now, with the intention of starting it this summer. What would you advise? Play that, or pick up the portable 3ds version? Was only really interested in the 3d DOF, but if the 3D is sub par, then would there be much of a point ?

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri May 24, 2013 10:05 am

TheNewMonkey wrote:Im tempted to get the 3DS version of Donkey Kong seems GraingerGames are doing it for £25, but I still cant decide, do really want to play through it again on a handheld when I could just play it on the big screen...

I've always played the Wii version with a Classic Controller Pro, as it's soft modded it lets you do stuff like this which is a bonus :D
so its the D-pad to move, Y is run/grab, B is jump & R is mapped to furious waggling of the Wii remote!

is the 3DS version control scheme the same as that?
Yep, it's identical to that if you play with digital controls :) (You can use either L or R to roll/pound the ground/blow) I've found that at least much more 'natural' feeling than the enforced waggle controls.

The other bonus is that it's a little easier/less frustrating to play it in 'New' mode, with extra hit points, items available at Cranky's shop, etc, and there's the extra 3DS exclusive stages too (although I've not gotten to those yet)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri May 24, 2013 11:57 am

samhain81 wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:My copy of DK arrived today, played through the first two worlds (including the unlockable level for each) and its pretty much what I expected. Its a very good port of the Wii version that bar looking not quite as nice plays just as well if not better thanks to the improved controls. I'd forgotten how challenging the unlockable levels were (took a few tries to beat the first one, then breezed through the second one). Only real disappointment is the 3D effect which is pretty poor in my opinion, I turned it off bar for a couple of the more impressive stages in world 2. Can't wait to unlock the new secret world, I'm very much looking forward to the all new levels...
Would you say theres a need to buy it? I've had donkey kong country returns wii sitting on my shelf for nearly a year now, with the intention of starting it this summer. What would you advise? Play that, or pick up the portable 3ds version? Was only really interested in the 3d DOF, but if the 3D is sub par, then would there be much of a point ?
What Toxie said really. I don't personally rate the 3D effect for this game. Can't quite put my finger on why but after it being excellent in Castlevania and Luigi's Mansion I'm just really disappointed with how it looks in this game (and I mainly just turn it off). On the other hand controls are much nicer for rolling/ground pounding and really does make certain pieces of the game so far feel more pleasant to play. You may want to give the Wii version a try first to see if you like the waggle controls or not as that's really the deciding factor (unless you want to take the game on the go with you, in which case the 3DS version is the clear winner).

Anyway, I also tried the Project X Zone demo today (the Capcom/Sega/Bandai etc. crossover... I liked it. The battle system is really easy to get the hang of and it looks nice and flashy and so far I'm liking the different characters included in the game. Can't wait to get the full game and I'm really glad that its getting translated.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Tue May 28, 2013 5:53 pm

ToxieDogg wrote:
TheNewMonkey wrote:Im tempted to get the 3DS version of Donkey Kong seems GraingerGames are doing it for £25, but I still cant decide, do really want to play through it again on a handheld when I could just play it on the big screen...

I've always played the Wii version with a Classic Controller Pro, as it's soft modded it lets you do stuff like this which is a bonus :D
so its the D-pad to move, Y is run/grab, B is jump & R is mapped to furious waggling of the Wii remote!

is the 3DS version control scheme the same as that?
Yep, it's identical to that if you play with digital controls :) (You can use either L or R to roll/pound the ground/blow) I've found that at least much more 'natural' feeling than the enforced waggle controls.

The other bonus is that it's a little easier/less frustrating to play it in 'New' mode, with extra hit points, items available at Cranky's shop, etc, and there's the extra 3DS exclusive stages too (although I've not gotten to those yet)
just caved and bought it :D

I've only just managed to finish the last world on the Wii version this week and I've had it since launch!

now to choose my free game from Nintendo, im thinking maybe animal crossing, never played an ac game before, I see mootowns already got it, is it any good?
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue May 28, 2013 5:57 pm

I've just bought it as well for a rather cheeky £21.99. :D

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Tue May 28, 2013 6:02 pm

Morkin wrote:I've just bought it as well for a rather cheeky £21.99. :D
Nice, I managed to get it down to just over £22 on graingergames using discount codes :D
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Tue May 28, 2013 10:59 pm

TheNewMonkey wrote:now to choose my free game from Nintendo, im thinking maybe animal crossing, never played an ac game before, I see mootowns already got it, is it any good?
Hard to say. Mootown's already got it because he works for Nintendo, us mere mortals don't get it for another couple of weeks :P

I did enjoy the previous Animal Crossing games to an extent, but they were limited in their scope and became boring after a while with never ending, samey repetitive tasks. But if you put the time into them, they've also got loads of really cool features like things that only happen on certain days/holidays/etc according to the in game clock on your actual system, and linking up with other people via wifi and the internet was always a laugh. I'm still going to give the new one a go :)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed May 29, 2013 4:45 am

ToxieDogg wrote:
TheNewMonkey wrote:now to choose my free game from Nintendo, im thinking maybe animal crossing, never played an ac game before, I see mootowns already got it, is it any good?
Hard to say. Mootown's already got it because he works for Nintendo, us mere mortals don't get it for another couple of weeks :P

I did enjoy the previous Animal Crossing games to an extent, but they were limited in their scope and became boring after a while with never ending, samey repetitive tasks. But if you put the time into them, they've also got loads of really cool features like things that only happen on certain days/holidays/etc according to the in game clock on your actual system, and linking up with other people via wifi and the internet was always a laugh. I'm still going to give the new one a go :)
It's had rave reviews in Japan and seems to be a much more substantial re-working of the game than the DS and Wii ports were, so if you enjoyed the original I'm sure it'll be well worth getting. If not, do you like The Sims and Harvest Moon?

Also, seeing as it is one of those games that's best enjoyed by playing half an hour here and there over a long period of time, as opposed to something that can be played to a finish in an intensive burst, it'd seem a good one to have as a download rather than having the lug the cartridge about with you.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed May 29, 2013 5:47 am

I'm playing the waiting game to see if my £119.99 Animal Crossing 3DSXL gets honoured. I doubt it, but who knows! :lol:

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed May 29, 2013 8:05 am

ToxieDogg wrote:

Spying on me eh? :) I've played 70 hours so far :-O

Nautical Rudie

Post by Nautical Rudie » Wed May 29, 2013 9:52 am

Castlevania and Fire Emblem arrived today, so coupled with DKCR, I'm just about to get myself some free Luigis Mansion!
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu May 30, 2013 11:50 am

The Oracle games are online now and are a quid cheaper than normal for a limited time.

Still almost a fiver each which is steep for a downloadable handheld game but when I see the physical games (which isn't often) they're at least a tenner apiece and then you're taking a big gamble on whether the battery back-up still works.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Nautical Rudie

Post by Nautical Rudie » Thu May 30, 2013 4:31 pm

killbot wrote:The Oracle games are online now and are a quid cheaper than normal for a limited time.

Still almost a fiver each which is steep for a downloadable handheld game but when I see the physical games (which isn't often) they're at least a tenner apiece and then you're taking a big gamble on whether the battery back-up still works.
At the risk of restarting old arguments, I disagree entirely. £9 for two fantastic Zelda games that i've never seen go for under £15 each second hand? Yes please. Illegal emulation has totally devalued retro downloads, when in reality (imo) the asking price in comparison to both the original price and to the second hand price is more than fair (especially considering the convenience of a download vs a cart hunt).
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu May 30, 2013 5:09 pm

Yep. I've still got both carts, but there's no way I'd be replaying them given the age of the batteries.

The games have aged like fine wines though; I don't think they're giving anything at all away to the GBA and DS Zeldas.

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu May 30, 2013 5:19 pm

Nautical Rudie wrote:
killbot wrote:The Oracle games are online now and are a quid cheaper than normal for a limited time.

At the risk of restarting old arguments, I disagree entirely. £9 for two fantastic Zelda games that i've never seen go for under £15 each second hand? Yes please. Illegal emulation has totally devalued retro downloads, when in reality (imo) the asking price in comparison to both the original price and to the second hand price is more than fair (especially considering the convenience of a download vs a cart hunt).
Oh, don't misunderstand me. They're fantastic games and as I said the price isn't ludicrous given how pricey they are to buy on cart.

As I always said of the Wii VC, whether the pricing is sensible depends wholly on the game. Several quid for DK Jr. Math is ludicrous. Just over a fiver for Mario RPG and under a tenner for Sin & Punishment are complete steals. Yes, I could play them on PC for free, but playing them on actual Ninty hardware feels 'proper', and I know that I've supported the developer. Using the 'you could get it for free online' argument is akin to asking why you pay for clothes when you could shoplift them if you wanted to.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360