3DS Games discussion/Collecting thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sel Feena

Re: 3DS Games discussion/Collecting thread

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:35 pm

Blown away by Mario 3D Land, think it may even edge out Super Mario World as my fave Mario outing. :)

And how fantastic is Bravely Default? Even the voice acting's ace! Feels like a real return to form for Square Enix, I really hope these games become an established series.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:37 pm

Zavvi finally delivered Senran Kagura yesterday, im only about half an hour into it and some of the dialogue is pretty mad to say the least!!, no wonder there's no picture posting on the Miiverse, the Daily Mail would have a fit!

These 2 official adverts are also well worth a watch, whats come over Nintendo :lol:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/0 ... gura_burst
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:30 pm

Getting a car service today, so will take a little extra out and get Bravely Default for a treat. Sounds awesome :)

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:12 pm

TheNewMonkey wrote:Zavvi finally delivered Senran Kagura yesterday, im only about half an hour into it and some of the dialogue is pretty mad to say the least!!, no wonder there's no picture posting on the Miiverse, the Daily Mail would have a fit!
My copy arrived today, looking forward to giving it a try.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:41 pm

If you like Yoshi, then you're going to like my new 3DS XL... the reverse has some lovely "bum eggs" on it too!

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:39 am

Quick stab at Senran Kagura Burst, and I'm not really sure where I stand yet. Right now I think Xross Impact on PSP is the better game, but I'm still having fun with it.

Roo

Post by Roo » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:20 am

I've just completed Yoshi's New Island and, as odd as it might be for me to type this on the Retro Gamer Forum, I found it to be just so consciously retro that it's frustrating. While little in the game irritates, it's consistently disappointing in the way that it doesn't approach the idea of doing anything remotely forward-thinking whatsoever. This is a much closer retread of Super Mario World: Yoshi's Island than Yoshi's Story or Yoshi's Island DS ever were, and in my opinion not a particularly successful one at that. Just about everything from the SNES original is reused in a wholly unimaginative way, and New Island doesn't improve upon anything that came before it. As a demonstration of the 3DS's capabilities it has no effect, and while it isn't the worst game I've ever played, I was alarmed at how mishandled the whole thing is.

I could go on, but basically I feel short-changed.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:57 pm

Roo wrote:I've just completed Yoshi's New Island and... basically I feel short-changed.
I'm sorry you felt that way - I've really enjoyed playing it.

You are right, it very much is a direct follow on from 'Super Mario World: Yoshi's Island' on the SNES and it's all the better for it. I'm getting tired of innovation in sequels, it's rare we get a sequel where it wasn't broken in the first place, so it's not fixed. Just more of the same!

On the 3DS side of things I thought this was a rare case where the 3D works really well. It doesn't really add anything to the experience (like most 3D games), but the cartoon design and bright colours allow it to actually work for a change. The gyro controls work well too on the vehicular levels.

A solid 7 out of 10 from me.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:34 pm

Finally (finally!!) got an email with a Super Mario Bros DX download code.

It's only taken nearly 4 weeks of complaining. Thanks Nintendo, greatest customer service ever. :roll:

As for Yoshi's New Island....quite enjoyed it myself too for what it was, but I do agree with most of what Roo said (though I don't quite feel short changed by it, plenty of replay value in unlocking the hidden stages). I actually really liked Yoshi's Island DS (I realise that's almost a blasphemous thing to say!) but it really polarized the fans, so I was surprised that Nintendo farmed Yoshi's New Island out to pretty much the exact same development team (or what was left of them) again.

It's a good game and to be fair, I've enjoyed it more than the just as unoriginal New Super Mario Bros 2 but it is lazy developing.....basically just another straightforward Yoshi's Island game but with Yoshi's Story style visuals.

One thing that does massively irk me with Artoon/Arzest....why did they remove the items that the SNES original had? There's nothing more frustrating than getting to the end of a level with all the red coins, all the flowers but having taken a silly hit somewhere and only have 29/30 stars and be forced to replay the level again....at least on the SNES game you could top your stars up if needs be, they shouldn't really count as a 'collectible' as such. And on both of the older games, if you hit a checkpoint, then it'd save the amount of stars you had at the time at least so if you got hit by a boss, you could just go back to the last checkpoint and try again with full stars.....not so in Yoshi's New Island....get hit by a boss, die, and it'll reset your stars back to 10 forcing you to restart the level. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:02 am

So, 3DS XL then. Has anyone got one, and is it worth forking out for in your opinion? Any improvements other than bigger screens?

ALK

Post by ALK » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:13 am

Better battery too. And of course, everything looks much nicer on the bigger screens, including the 3D. I'd recommend it.

Dunno if you want to wait for the inevitable "2DS XL" though..... :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:11 am

ALK wrote:Better battery too. And of course, everything looks much nicer on the bigger screens, including the 3D. I'd recommend it.

Dunno if you want to wait for the inevitable "2DS XL" though..... :lol:
Me too, once you go XL, it's hard to go back to squinting at the smaller screens again, and the battery life is a little better. It feels a lot comfier to hold to me as well for extended play sessions as it's nicely rounded, whereas the old 3DS still feels very rigid and the corners dig into your palms (like playing with an old NES controller for a while). The Start/Select/Home buttons on the 3DS XL are better too.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:51 pm

^ It's not just me with those middle buttons, then? They feel really stiff and unresponsive to me. :? Good to hear about better battery life, although the 3DS is bloody good in that regard IMO, at least if you don't have 3D on too often (only bother with it for Mario 3D Land)

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:47 pm

batman877 wrote:If you like Yoshi, then you're going to like my new 3DS XL... the reverse has some lovely "bum eggs" on it too!

Birthdays coming up, I'll ask the missus.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:32 am

Is there any way to prevent the two vertical marks left on the top screen of an original 3DS? I've just noticed how bad they've become on mine and wondered whether it's better to keep a piece of fabric between the screens or something?

Also very much looking forward to the Sega 3D Classics version of Outrun 8)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.