3DS Games discussion/Collecting thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Matt_B

Re: 3DS Games discussion/Collecting thread

Post by Matt_B » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:08 am

ToxieDogg wrote:There hasn't been any adverse publicity whatsoever for message/photo sharing facilities on any other gaming devices.
No, but I can't really blame Nintendo for not wanting to wait until there is.

And with thirty-odd million users, I wouldn't necessarily bet on it being that long until someone did something very stupid now that the cat is out of the bag.
To me, this goes down like a lead balloon along with that other nonsense that Nintendo tried to impose earlier in the year where 18 rated content was only available to access after 11pm at night until about 2am, no matter how old the user.
That was more a case of them having to comply with German law than something that they wanted to impose themselves. Other companies weren't affected as they based their European operations in different countries.

pratty

Post by pratty » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:24 pm

I always thought the idea of putting a video camera in the Wii-U controller and encouraging gamers to video chat a bit problematic. At first it sounds like a cool idea, and innocent enough, but of course a child might keep their Wii-U in their bedroom.

Naturally I'm sure there's an option for parents to disable that function for their child, but I think Nintendo are naive to assume all parents would bother to do that, or even be aware that they should.

I agree it's a shame everyone has to be punished here, but as soon as the Daily Mail types got hold of this Nintendo would be slaughtered for not acting, you can just see the headlines "First Nintendo blinds your children, now they deliver them to perverts." I'm sure Nintendo are just as frustrated as everyone else.

Hopefully it's just a short term thing until they work out a better way of allowing gamers to chat safely, it may come down to Nintendo writing in big reds letter on the 3DS box "ATTENTION PARENTS! DO YOUR F-ING JOB! THIS DEVICE HAS CHILD SAFETY FEATURES, USE THEM!".
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

the_b1ues

Post by the_b1ues » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:08 pm

Cant remember if ive already asked this but i cant get online with my 3ds something to do with my security. Any help?

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:30 pm

Matt_B wrote:
ToxieDogg wrote:There hasn't been any adverse publicity whatsoever for message/photo sharing facilities on any other gaming devices.
No, but I can't really blame Nintendo for not wanting to wait until there is.

And with thirty-odd million users, I wouldn't necessarily bet on it being that long until someone did something very stupid now that the cat is out of the bag.
I disagree. Kids have been sharing inappropriate material for as long as the internet's existed so Nintendo must've been naive in the extreme if they believed that none of their 3DS users would ever do anything a bit silly. Heck, even the Official Nintendo Magazine has made a few jokes about drawing pictures of penises and sending them through Letterbox being a 'fun' thing to do.

Nintendo have made their 3DS environment as safe and family friendly as can be with the friend code system, and parental controls can also stop the child using it from going online altogether, they really can't be blamed for parents not bothering to monitor their own kids, just the same as it's not an ISP's fault if one of your kids goes online unsupervised and finds all kinds of adult stuff.
Matt_B wrote:
To me, this goes down like a lead balloon along with that other nonsense that Nintendo tried to impose earlier in the year where 18 rated content was only available to access after 11pm at night until about 2am, no matter how old the user.
That was more a case of them having to comply with German law than something that they wanted to impose themselves. Other companies weren't affected as they based their European operations in different countries.
I don't know if there's any German people here who can confirm this, but there never was such a German law apparently, according to quite a few German people I saw commenting about the issue over on the Nintendolife site. It was just a self imposed thing they did for the entirety of Europe and then when there was a massive backlash against it they had their parental controls assessed by USK (the German Entertainment Software Self-Regulation Body) who said that 'Nintendo's Parental Control system is of very high quality and offers a remarkable level of protection for children.' which then allowed Nintendo to pretend that they'd been 'officially' given the OK and go back to the way things were without losing too much face.

Which to me, makes the sudden removal of the Nintendo Letterbox features all the more strange, given the official praise they've been given for their parental controls and child protection.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:28 pm

has there been some sort of official statement as to what exactly has been sent?

I cant see it just being a few nob jokes to be honest, theres got to be more to it than that, probably something more like peados have been using it to distribute images among themselves, sick bastards.
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:14 pm

Morkin wrote:
Morkin wrote:Wonder how much this one will cost?

Quoting my own post.

£79.85 at Shopto. Any takers?
Gone up to £90 now I really want that limited edition 8)
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:56 am

ToxieDogg wrote:I don't know if there's any German people here who can confirm this, but there never was such a German law apparently, according to quite a few German people I saw commenting about the issue over on the Nintendolife site. It was just a self imposed thing they did for the entirety of Europe and then when there was a massive backlash against it they had their parental controls assessed by USK (the German Entertainment Software Self-Regulation Body) who said that 'Nintendo's Parental Control system is of very high quality and offers a remarkable level of protection for children.' which then allowed Nintendo to pretend that they'd been 'officially' given the OK and go back to the way things were without losing too much face.
I'm sure that German people in forums have said all sorts of things about this, but unless one of them happens to be a lawyer, I wouldn't pay them much heed.
TheNewMonkey wrote:has there been some sort of official statement as to what exactly has been sent?

I cant see it just being a few nob jokes to be honest, theres got to be more to it than that, probably something more like peados have been using it to distribute images among themselves, sick bastards.
The official statement is this:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintend ... 75317.html

It's open to speculation as to what exactly the "offensive material" was, but given that they've mentioned "direct exchange of photos", "friend codes on internet bulletin boards", and "many minors also use this service" I think you can read between the lines easily enough.

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:11 pm

I have the first two Splinter Cell games for Gamecube, the fourth for Wii, the fifth for PC and I just got hold of Blacklist for the Wii U. I'm only missing Chaos Theory and would like to play through the games in order to follow the story. Chaos Theory for GC is proving tricky to find but the 3DS remake is widely available and very cheap. Is it a very close conversion? Are the storyline and level layouts the same? If so I might get it, at least to tide me over until I find a decent copy for GC.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:35 am

commanderkaiser wrote:
Also preordered Hakuoki Memories of Shinsengumi Limited Edition, not even sure what it is about at all (I've read a ton of different things) but it looked fairly decent from what I could see.

From what I could gather some were saying it has some sort of like dating/relationship element with all the guys in the game and others were saying it's like a visual novel where you choose your options I'm not sure either way but It's another one I thought in my head might have a limited release so thought best not risk missing out.
This has now gone down to £23.99 at Amazon for those interested. :D Next cheapest is Shopto at £29.86.

commanderkaiser

Post by commanderkaiser » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:54 am

Lucky I decided to cancel my preorder :) Not sure if I will buy it now seems a game I'd be buying just for the sake of it. It does look interesting but I'm not sure its enough for me at the moment.

Still got my preorder for Bravely Default though.

imaxeroker85

Post by imaxeroker85 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:43 am

Roo wrote:
imaxeroker85 wrote:Anyone have Dream Trigger 3D, saw it cheap, looks like it could be awesome or broken as hell.
I had this! The word I'd use to describe it is 'odd'. I wasn't all that impressed with it when I bought it for £20 (just not as accessible or accommodating as I'd have liked), but for the peanuts it goes for today it might warrant a look if you're after something a bit more complex than the typical 3DS game. Definitely not one of the handheld's essentials though.
Hey thanks for the response. Thats pretty much what I thought it would be. Can't go too wrong with how cheap it is. Thanks again.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:56 am

Kept my preorder for this one in the end & it arrived today.

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:46 pm

3DS Focused Direct tomorrow. Mostly just info on previously announced titles, but meh.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/1 ... h_november
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:45 am

New game details and whatnot from the Direct, but a few notable things too. Youtube is coming the 3DS and a system update which will allow us to link our eShop accounts to our Wii U ones to share the balance, and bring a 3DS Miiverse at last.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/1 ... ation_live
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:47 am

Bravely Default demo is up. Looks pretty!
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)