3DS Games discussion/Collecting thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowMan

Re: 3DS Games discussion/Collecting thread

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:35 pm

OK, Castlevania is now complete. I managed to 100% it on Hard mode and I must say it was very well done throughout the game. There was more exploration and platforming than I expected (I was initially thinking it would be a more linear combat based affair) but what combat is in the game is handled really well thanks to a decently implemented combat system that does a great job of taking the moves from Lord of Shadows and utilising them in a 2D game. The graphics and music are top notch, some of the best I've seen and heard on the platform and while the story is a tad predictable its decent enough and does a great job of bridging the gap between the first game and hyping me up for the second game. Its just a pity that there isn't much to do once you 100% the game, I unlocked a new difficulty level but I doubt that'll be much different except dealing out even more damage to your character.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:56 pm

Luigi's Mansion is on the way from Shopto. Looking forward to playing it. :D

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:59 pm

Morkin wrote:Luigi's Mansion is on the way from Shopto. Looking forward to playing it. :D
Same here. It's been getting decent reviews so far as well so I can't wait to give it a try :mrgreen:

I managed to finish off Mutant Mudds on the 3DS today. I cleared the 20 extra levels that make use of all your extra abilities. They are some of the best designed levels in the game in my opinion. They are nice and challenging without being unfairly difficult.

Also, I finally gave Resident Evil Mercs a try on the 3DS XL. I'm impressed at how nice it looks - both in terms of graphics and in terms of the 3D effect. Its still not a patch on the proper Mercs mode from any of the console games but its still a good little time waster here and there.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:03 pm

Morkin wrote:Luigi's Mansion is on the way from Shopto. Looking forward to playing it. :D
heard good things about it
this is the kind of game the wii U desperatley needs
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:14 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Same here. It's been getting decent reviews so far as well so I can't wait to give it a try :mrgreen:
Me three. :) Looking forward to getting it.

I'm currently addicted to the original DS Etrian Odyssey of all things though. :lol: Been playing it so much that I've sidelined Castlevania Mirror Of Fate and haven't finished it off yet.

I've been trying to preorder Etrian Odyssey IV on 3DS (as it was announced for a Spring release in Europe)....I've got a tentative preorder on Amazon but there's no release date for it, and Shopto doesn't have anything for it at all....according to the Nintendolife page here, it's due for release on 5th April.....anybody know if that's true, or if it's going to be a download only E-Shop game like Code Of Princess or not?
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:50 am

So got Luigi'as Mansion 2 today and early on, I came across a sound glitch. The music plays fine but all of a sudden, the sound effects don't play at all, so I'm hoovering a silent Poltergust 5000 and no footsteps can't be heard etc. The sound effects did eventually return to normal, but I didnt expect a glitch like that so early on in a Nintendo game of all things (Shock shock). @_@

Anyone else came across this? Any word from Ninty like a patch?
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:17 am

ALK wrote:So got Luigi'as Mansion 2 today and early on, I came across a sound glitch. The music plays fine but all of a sudden, the sound effects don't play at all, so I'm hoovering a silent Poltergust 5000 and no footsteps can't be heard etc. The sound effects did eventually return to normal, but I didnt expect a glitch like that so early on in a Nintendo game of all things (Shock shock). @_@

Anyone else came across this? Any word from Ninty like a patch?
I've not encountered this issue, but I did have the game crash my 3DS on the third level of the first mansion in the dining room. Really weird as I've never encountered any problems like this with Nintendo or 3DS games before!

Otherwise its a really fun game so far. It makes a heck of a change from other Nintendo titles, I barely played the original (finished it once at launch but that was it) so this feels really fresh compared to other recent Nintendo releases (like NSMB2). The exploration is fun, especially as you get new powers and can find secrets in other rooms you miss the first time, some of the room puzzles are pretty cool so far and I really like the way the vacume interacts with the environment - pulling up carpet, rattling pots and pans, pulling off wallpaper etc. It looks really nice as does the lighting and shadow effects so far. Seems like there is plenty to do as well - multiple mansions, hidden gems, boos to track down and a multiplayer mode. Its been worth the wait.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:56 am

Anyone buy Devil Survivor Overclocked? If so, there are game breaking bugs in it. :(

Important message about Devil Survivor Overclocked on 3DS

It is with much regret that we have to make this announcement. Many of you may already be aware that our most recent release of Devil Survivor Overclocked on 3DS unfortunately has some issues. These problems mean that currently you will not be able to complete the game. The game will hang/freeze if you summon a demon during battle or if an auction house seller lies about the stats.

Currently we are doing everything we can to fix these problems as quickly as possible so that you will be able to enjoy DSO in full.

We deeply value the continued commitment from our devoted Ghoslight fans and all the EU JRPG fans as without you all we wouldn’t be here. We hope that you will allow us to take the time needed to fix the problems and give you the gaming experience that you have waited for so patiently. Once we have more information we will let you know.

Kind regards,

Ghostlight

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:51 am

That's a very poor show from Ghostlight. The game is extremely old for a 3DS game anyway and it shows up poor testing.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

the_b1ues

Post by the_b1ues » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:46 am

i keep thinking about buying a 3ds i have £42 on my game card and am tempted to buy one now Luigis mansion is out. Is the 3ds xl any better or should i just stick with the regular?

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:56 pm

The XL is generally a better purchase. The screen is much better but games do look a bit more pixellated on it. I personally like that you can play DS games on it in scaled mode and still have a decent size and quality.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:24 pm

Plus the battery's a little better on a XL then the original's very short battery life.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Nautical Rudie

Post by Nautical Rudie » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Made a load of tips this last week so i've been on a 3DS buying kick. Got Prof Layton & the Miracle Mask through the post today, and also picked up Mario Tennis Open for £16 from blockbusters. Layton seems decnt from my ten minute stint on it (the graphics are gorgeous), but i've spent most of the day playing Mario Tennis. Pretty good gameplay and a bunch of good modes, power shots are pretty ubiquitous but less game spoiling than in Mario Power Tennis on Gamecube.
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!

Timothy Lumsden

Post by Timothy Lumsden » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:47 am

can anyone recommend any little oddities, as I cant afford Mario games at the moment - for example Crush is always cheap.

Nautical Rudie

Post by Nautical Rudie » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:01 am

Best thing to do is get on the eShop, theres a bunch of great exclusive stuff on there for under a tenner plus some great cheap random Virtual Console stuff like Mole Mania. Ive seen Shinobi and Shifting World in some shops for around a fiver as well.
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!