3DS Games discussion/Collecting thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

batman877

Re: 3DS Games discussion/Collecting thread

Post by batman877 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:08 pm

Really enjoying Radiant Historia, the remake is excellent! I highly recommend it!

Also more full price physical releases coming to the 3DS this year (and into next):

Detective Pikachu (23 March)
The Alliance Alive (27 March) [Atlus JRPG] (US release date - EUR to be confirmed)
Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido (8 June)
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (13 July) [Wii U remake]
Wario Ware Gold (3 August) [Best of Wario Ware compilation]
Luigi's Mansion (Q3 2018) [Gamecube remake]
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux (Q3 2018) [DS remake]
Shovel Knight: King of Cards (Q3 2018)
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey (Q1 2019) [DS remake]

Starlight

Post by Starlight » Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:21 pm

Might get Detective Pikachu myself. Looks like it will be good!

Did they stop the Virtual Console service? I have'nt seen much discussion about it here.
SEGA, Falcom and "Niche" Nintendo fan

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:07 pm

Starlight wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 5:21 pm
Might get Detective Pikachu myself. Looks like it will be good!

Did they stop the Virtual Console service? I have'nt seen much discussion about it here.
Pretty much, they did revive it with SNES games but those have seemingly run out (The titles they and 3rd parties were willing to put on anyway). The only exception have been the 1st 2 generations of Pokemon games, which Crystal saw a release just over a month ago.

Was almost certain they were going to add GBA games during the Direct, since that Bowser's Inside Story remake will take the 3DS into 2019, but I guess they're just doing long gaps between releases now....
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Starlight

Post by Starlight » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:35 pm

ALK wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:07 pm
Pretty much, they did revive it with SNES games but those have seemingly run out (The titles they and 3rd parties were willing to put on anyway). The only exception have been the 1st 2 generations of Pokemon games, which Crystal saw a release just over a month ago.

Was almost certain they were going to add GBA games during the Direct, since that Bowser's Inside Story remake will take the 3DS into 2019, but I guess they're just doing long gaps between releases now....
That's a shame. They have so many Game Boy and Game Gear games left to add that I want to try (Sylvan Tale and Solar Striker come to mind)

Surprised they left Pokemon for last. I guess it's a great way to still sell them at the tail end of the 3DS' life to make more money.

I hope they add the VC service on Switch with more content this time!

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:10 pm

Starlight wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:35 pm
ALK wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:07 pm

That's a shame. They have so many Game Boy and Game Gear games left to add that I want to try (Sylvan Tale and Solar Striker come to mind)

Surprised they left Pokemon for last. I guess it's a great way to still sell them at the tail end of the 3DS' life to make more money.

I hope they add the VC service on Switch with more content this time!
Yeah, I think them stopping the Gameboy releases was probably down to them not selling so well. You had b+w games and as for the GG library, you had Sonic then not a lot of other games people really know about unlike the Mega Drive library.

For Pokemon, they had to emulate the trading and local battle into the Wireless Communications or you'd have a hard time catching them all (Well, outside of Mew which you can only obtain through a glitch, but they add at least added the chance to catch Celebi in Crystal) as well as doing it for the 20th anniversary a few years ago, hence why they're each £9 instead of the usual £2-4 for a GB/GBC game.

Turbografx was also a thing they added for the Japanese 3DS VC but it only got as far as 4 games. Considering Konami have been adding Turbografx games to the Wii U VC, it is odd they won't add those to the 3DS one also which has a larger userbase than Wii U but oh well.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:28 pm

batman877 wrote:
Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:08 pm
Really enjoying Radiant Historia, the remake is excellent! I highly recommend it!

Also more full price physical releases coming to the 3DS this year (and into next):

Detective Pikachu (23 March)
The Alliance Alive (27 March) [Atlus JRPG] (US release date - EUR to be confirmed)
Sushi Striker: The Way of Sushido (8 June)
Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (13 July) [Wii U remake]
Wario Ware Gold (3 August) [Best of Wario Ware compilation]
Luigi's Mansion (Q3 2018) [Gamecube remake]
Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux (Q3 2018) [DS remake]
Shovel Knight: King of Cards (Q3 2018)
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr's Journey (Q1 2019) [DS remake]
I have Radiant Historia: PC on my pile o' shame, maybe I'll get to it this year. :lol:

Was shocked to see a game scheduled for next year, I'll definitely get it though. I'm undecided on Luigi's Mansion though as I have it on Gamecube.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:48 pm

3DS just won't die ever. Heck, even Vita still gets new games somehow!

I've picked up some of the Kirby 3DS games thanks to the Switch Kirby demo hyping me up. Looking forward to playing them.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Starlight

Post by Starlight » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:26 am

ALK wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:10 pm
Yeah, I think them stopping the Gameboy releases was probably down to them not selling so well. You had b+w games and as for the GG library, you had Sonic then not a lot of other games people really know about unlike the Mega Drive library.

For Pokemon, they had to emulate the trading and local battle into the Wireless Communications or you'd have a hard time catching them all (Well, outside of Mew which you can only obtain through a glitch, but they add at least added the chance to catch Celebi in Crystal) as well as doing it for the 20th anniversary a few years ago, hence why they're each £9 instead of the usual £2-4 for a GB/GBC game.

Turbografx was also a thing they added for the Japanese 3DS VC but it only got as far as 4 games. Considering Konami have been adding Turbografx games to the Wii U VC, it is odd they won't add those to the 3DS one also which has a larger userbase than Wii U but oh well.
Which is surprising as GB has a lot of nostalgia vs the GG. I think the GG stopping is due to SEGA feeling it wasn't worth it despite the 3D Classics being a thing.

Quite interesting that they did all that but then again I know of people who rethought them for that sake plus I believe they can be traded to the 3DS games with the added EV/IVs.

TG16 is bizarre really. It can emulate on 3DS easily yet they don't carrry the games over. Ah well at least they are supporting the Wii U as it dies out.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:54 am

Legend of the Mystical Ninja (SNES version) is currently reduced to £4.31 (if you have 35 gold coins spare)... I think I've bought all of the SNES games now, except Final Fight 1, but do I really want that version??? :wink:

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:36 pm

Yeah, if you be patient, you can snag a lot of the VC library for cheaper via MyNintendo, since they add new discounts every 2-3 weeks. Have way more SNES and NES games on my 3DS than I thought I'd ever have. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed May 23, 2018 2:28 pm

Nintendo have made some Indy games available to buy with My Nintendo gold coins:

Starwars Pinball (70)
Steamworld Dig (90)
Runbow Pocket (140)

Also Donkey Kong, Animal Crossing and Mario Maker have been added to the selects range. And there are two new 2DS XL colours/bundles on the way.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/0 ... ects_range

ALK

Post by ALK » Tue May 29, 2018 3:35 pm

In-case you thought there wasnt enough Zelda edition consoles, there's a new one for New 2DS XL.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/0 ... _in_the_us
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Wed May 30, 2018 5:04 am

Picked up 'Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux' last week - really enjoying so far. There's no 3D or English voice over but it feels like a really good remake of the DS classic...

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Wed May 30, 2018 8:36 am

batman877 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 5:04 am
Picked up 'Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey Redux' last week - really enjoying so far. There's no 3D or English voice over but it feels like a really good remake of the DS classic...
"Strange" is quite the understatement, as that's one weird game. I do remember it being very grindy though, so I'm not particularly tempted by the prospect of replaying it.

Still, it's definitely worth a look for those who like story-driven RPGs with a bit of time on their hands.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:15 pm

A question for multiple 3DS owners - can you use a second 3DS and still have a proper experience, with online etc , without doing a system transfer? Can you switch from system to system with ease or do you have to use a dedicated 'master' device, while the others go unused?