3DS Games discussion/Collecting thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ALK

Re: 3DS Games discussion/Collecting thread

Post by ALK » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:09 am

batman877 wrote:
ALK wrote:Anyone else been playing Sun/Moon? Have been finding myself taking 5+ hour sessions in the last 2 days when I'm normally a 1 maybe 2 hour session gamer. :lol:

Absolute breath of fresh air for the franchise thus far, really enjoying it.
Yes, picked up 'Moon' on launch day and despite not really being a Pokemon fan I'm really enjoying it at the moment. Create combination of old and new... lots of familiar content for fans, but also the perfect Pokemon for beginners too. The only negatives I've found so far are a lack of 3D compatibility, no image capture facility for the 'mii universe' and no amiibo support (just minor niggles though)!
Yeah, that was the issue with the other 3DS games with a lack of 3D outside of battles. I believe Game Freak gave a reason for it but yeah, not the best game series for my friend to try the 3D when he brought a 3DS to play Pokemon games after getting hooked on Go. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

batman877

Post by batman877 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:45 am

Super Mario Maker 3DS should be arriving tomorrow. Even though I own the Wii U version I couldn't resist the temptation to play the exclusive 100 Nintendo designed levels. Shocked that there's no Amiibo support though...

Anyone else picking this up?

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:50 pm

Maybe for Xmas if the backlog of purchases is not too high.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:03 pm

Playing through my 3ds backlog (this is what happens when you buy games for a console that your wife owns but you don't and hers is bloody pink)

Latest game I am playing is rabbids 3d, good laugh in a 2d platformer with kids characters with their own made up language sort of way.

Been bought Sega classics and ocarina of time by my friend for Christmas, have given myself a self imposed ban on opening them till Xmas even though they were sealed but not wrapped up

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:22 pm

Some more Sega 3D Classics Collection for me...

Had a few weird sound glitches with Sonic (music randomly speeding up, sound effects sounding strange) but otherwise it is a nice version and the 3D effect makes the background layers look really attractive. I'm still hopeless at the game though! As usual I can storm the first two zones and stock up loads of lives/continues but I lose a load on the third zone and still can't get past the fourth. Will I ever complete this game?!? Even with save states on this and the PSP version, I'm useless :oops:

Also some Altered Beast. Still a really sh1tty game redeemed only by the "POWAH UP" speech. Really wish they'd 3D-ified something else rather than this and I ALSO wish that they'd included something better on this specific compilation!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Spiff

Post by Spiff » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:28 pm

Megamixer wrote: Also some Altered Beast. Still a really sh1tty game redeemed only by the "POWAH UP" speech.
And "Wise from your gwave", surely?!

Getting 3D Classics for Xmas. Got Rhythm Paradise a few weeks ago but haven't tried it yet, tho have the original GBA one somewhere.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:31 pm

FINALLY!

At £100, this was still £20-£30 more than the original RRP but still a lot cheaper than the daft £150-£200 prices that sellers have been (and still are) asking for on ebay. It was all sealed and as new inside too. Essentially I'm just taking a gamble (stock market style!) that these sets won't suddenly plummet much further in value in the near future. I personally don't think they will but who knows! Call it a crazy post-Christmas purchase...

Starting playing the game yesterday anyway and have opted for the 'Conquest' side first. The gameplay is as good as ever but after 2-3 hours play time thus far, I still don't really much care for any of the characters. Certainly not as well-designed or as likable as those from Awakening at least. It also does that annoying thing of having a Samurai/Ninja/Japanese styled fictional nation in a fantasy world which I've never thought makes sense in any RPG that does it :|

Still, I will certainly be seeing it through to the end (all 3 scenarios).
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:00 pm

Been enjoying some 3D classics collection. Quite enjoying Power Drift and even used the 3D for a little while . Played through Sonic yet again , can't help doing the level select cheat even though I don't actually use it for anything.
Altered Beast is a bit gash but that was expected and currently enjoying Fantasy Zone 2 though save points are definitely a requirement for me. Not touched most others yet but that's just cos I like to play one at a time.

lupogtiboy

Post by lupogtiboy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:14 pm

I bought StarFox 64 3D in CEX for £10 the other day, had a quick go on it and instantly decided that whist I do like it, I am seriously crap at it, just like I was on the original SNES version!
Its small, its fast, its just gone past! www.clublupo.co.uk

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:58 am

shiftytigger wrote:Been enjoying some 3D classics collection. Quite enjoying Power Drift and even used the 3D for a little while . Played through Sonic yet again , can't help doing the level select cheat even though I don't actually use it for anything.
Altered Beast is a bit gash but that was expected and currently enjoying Fantasy Zone 2 though save points are definitely a requirement for me. Not touched most others yet but that's just cos I like to play one at a time.
Is it just me or is that Ted on the Altered Beast title screen?

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:32 pm

It certainly appears similar. That or a sinister Bungle.

Fantasy Zone 2 has stumped me near what I assume is the last boss. Some snake like thing comes from upper right and moves too quickly for me to evade and my weapons run out before it gets there.
Frustrating beyond belief.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:04 pm

Been playing Fire Emblem Fates and a bit gutted to find that I'm finding it extremely dull! I don't really understand this too much since I ploughed an INSANE amount of time into Awakening and really, really loved it. The only thing I can think of is that simply not liking any of the characters or caring if they die in battle or not is spoiling my enjoyment. I think they've gone waaaay too far in the "bizarre anime" direction when designing the cast of Fates. Also, the "Japanese-themed setting in a fictional universe" thing is stupid. Music is forgettable and all the messing about with building your personal castle and all the accessorising stuff just feels like needless fluff.

Good job the core gameplay is still solid. Also still like the marriage system and the little animated cutscene things you get with your spouse (I married my avatar character off to Azura).

Anyway, better get my money's worth given how much that SE set me back! Just not a good sign when I literally start nodding off when playing the game :lol:

batman877

Post by batman877 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:00 am

Megamixer wrote:Been playing Fire Emblem Fates and a bit gutted to find that I'm finding it extremely dull!
I bought 'Conquest' over 'Birthright' because I thought the cover art was nicer... I've now realised that 'Conquest' was designed for the Fire Emblem veteran and is more of a challenge to complete. I know you have the complete version with all three versions of the game, but I wonder if you'd enjoy playing 'Conquest' first (if you haven't already)? Personally I wish I'd gone for 'Birthright'... I own most of the Fire Emblem series but haven't played them enough to be good at them yet...

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:58 pm

batman877 wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Been playing Fire Emblem Fates and a bit gutted to find that I'm finding it extremely dull!
I bought 'Conquest' over 'Birthright' because I thought the cover art was nicer... I've now realised that 'Conquest' was designed for the Fire Emblem veteran and is more of a challenge to complete. I know you have the complete version with all three versions of the game, but I wonder if you'd enjoy playing 'Conquest' first (if you haven't already)? Personally I wish I'd gone for 'Birthright'... I own most of the Fire Emblem series but haven't played them enough to be good at them yet...
Yeah I sorta knew about the difference between the two versions. The decision I made in the prologue type thing at the start of the game meant that I started 'Birthright' first. I think (from the main menu) you can return to the branching path at the start of the game and go for the option whenever you want but I haven't looked yet. I can't see it altering my opinion on the naff character design etc. though.

I'm assuming that the solo releases simply don't give you an option to choose a side at the start of the game during the opening battle/confrontation scene between the two sides?

Nautical Rudie

Post by Nautical Rudie » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:38 am

Megamixer wrote:Been playing Fire Emblem Fates and a bit gutted to find that I'm finding it extremely dull! I don't really understand this too much since I ploughed an INSANE amount of time into Awakening and really, really loved it. The only thing I can think of is that simply not liking any of the characters or caring if they die in battle or not is spoiling my enjoyment.
I had the same thing, I found Birthright disappointing. I've played through the 3 campaigns tho and Conquest and Revelation (especially Revelation) are much better character, story and challenge wise, so I say stick with it. The cast is up there with Sacred Stones and Shadow Dragon as one of the more forgettable though.
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!