3DS Games discussion/Collecting thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

C=Style

3DS Games discussion/Collecting thread

Post by C=Style » Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:37 am

Well, I don't like the idea of having more than one 3DS thread at a time on the forums so I'm aware that may annoy some posters here, apologies for that but I think it's for the best if people wish to discuss 3DS games without drifting off topic or risking arguments.

So I'll start by posting what games I own.

Ridge Racer 3D
Super Street Fighter IV 3D
The Legend of Zelda OoT 3D
Pilotwings Resort
Dead or Alive Dimensions
Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D

I rate all of these games highly, my favourite being OoT obviously which is probably the best experience I've had with a portable system and by far the best game I've played this year. I'm looking forward to building a collection of quality games I really enjoy and want to play. The game I'm most looking forward to is Star Fox 3D (as it's known in Europe).

So this is just a thread for people to discuss their views on the games they own, offer recommendations and what they are looking forward to etc.

thevulture

Re: 3DS Games discussion/Collecting thread

Post by thevulture » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:20 pm

Looking forward to:

MGS Snake Eater 3D-PS2 original was bloody amazing, and yes i say amazing as it amazed. :wink: The demo.i saw hinted at this being more than a mere port, so hopes are high indeed.

Star Fox 64 3D:4 players competing from 1 cart?,live video feed so you can rub in your victory and update of a personal fav.N64 game.

Resident Evil:Revelations-Very keen to see what Capcom do with the aspect of using the underwater setting.

Shinobi-Want the way of the Ninja on a portable once more.

Roo

Post by Roo » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:31 pm

I own:

Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
PES 2011 3D
Ridge Racer 3D
Super Street Fighter IV 3D
The Legend of Zelda: OoT 3D

I fully recommend them all. I've also owned Pilotwings Resort, Super Monkey Ball 3D, Nintendogs + Cats, Puzzle Bobble Universe and Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars. All of those were fine, with the notable exceptions of SMB 3D and GR: SW. SMB 3D was just pointlessly basic and simply not worth more than a couple of quid, and Ghost Recon was the most breathtakingly boring game I've ever played. I know it has it's fans, and I'm sorry to say it, but I thought it was a complete waste of time that didn't add anything to the genre. I hoped it would improve, but it didn't.

My most wanted game is Sonic Genrations, but I early await a bit of online Mario Kart 3DS this Christmas.

~

EDIT: My 3DS Friend Code is 0903 2725 2010 - feel free to let me know your FC if you'd want to add me!
Last edited by Roo on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:32 pm

to be honest i think at the moment any 3ds thread wil descend in to arguments
its a very polarizing handheld either you love it or you think its a over priced gimmicky piece of tosh with almost no inbetween
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:34 pm

Indeed. Let's hope this thread doesn't end up like the other 3DS threads - full of arguments and way off topic.

My collection so far:

Pilotwings Resort - Got this at launch and I'm still playing it! I've 3 starred everything, but I haven't finished the extra class (diamond?) yet. I loved the original on the SNES, so I guess I was bound to love the 3DS one.

Super Street Fighter IV - Haven't played this as much as I was expecting to. The graphics are impressive (at least until you notice the static backdrops), but I'm struggling with the analog stick. I suppose I could use the dpad, but the position of it is a little uncomfortable. The thing that pisses me off about this is that Capcom have in no way taken the analog stick's failings into account and the game is rock hard - even on easy. Much like the PS3 edition, Capcom have assumed everyone is some 2D fighter anorak who owns a custom arcade stick, but unlike the PS3 edition you can't connect one up!

Puzzle Bobble Universe - Bought this because it was really really cheap and because I like Puzzle Bobble. As good as it is at being a Puzzle Bobble game, it really fails as a 3DS game. 3D doesn't add a great deal to the game, then again it doesn't break anything. Also, even though you can use the analog stick, you still have to use the shoulder buttons for fine aiming. I think this is scandalous, and just draws attention to how lazy a port this game is.

Ridge Racer 3D - Just got this and it really is as good as everyone says. It feels much more like a traditional RR game and none of the mushiness of RR6 is evident. The 3D effect is convincing, the music is...ok, but the control is where this game shines.

Excitebike - Thought I may as well include this, even though it was free. I love Excitebike and I was hoping to see loads more NES classics given the 3D treatment. Sadly, it looks highly unlikely now.

So two games I love and two games I like, not bad going so far. I'm also using my 3DS to play DS games, so it does get a lot of play time. Also, I found the E3 trailers on the eStore, so I have loads of games to look forward to.

I definitely want:

Kid Icarus - Never played the original on the NES my only memory of the character is the weird cherub thing on Captain N. The trailer looks amazing though, so I will definitely pick this up on launch day.
Starfox 3D - Put hours and hours into this on the N64, but unlike OoT, I am gagging to play Starfox 64 again.
Super Mario - I can't wait to see all the clever uses they find for the 3D screen. Super Mario is probably the number 1 game I'm looking forward to after seeing the demo.
Luigi's Mansion 2 - Loved the original (even though I had to play it in Japanese). I didn't see anything new, compared to the original, in the demo, but Luigi's Mansion is all about the characters and I'm sure this sequel will do the original proud.

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:44 pm

I've got Ocarina of Time and the 3D Excitebike freebie at the moment.

I'm looking forward to Mario 3D, Resident Evil Revelations and Starfox (which, like Ocarina, I've not played through previously).

Most intrigued by this though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ru4f4cLGOvE

Could go either way, but fingers are crossed. :)
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:58 pm

Bought mine on launch with Pilotwings, really enjoyed it but theres not much to do on it once you clear everything & get all the collectables so sold it and bought Street Fighter.

As of now i own 2 games, Zelda & Street Fighter, both quality titles :D

Im looking forwards to a lot of the coming releases but mostly Mario Kart, im just hoping it plays more like the Wii version & not the DS version, i love the mario kart series but theres just something about the DS version i dunno what it is but no matter how many times i try to get into it i just cant, theres just something about it that i hate :twisted:
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:04 pm

Weirdly the DS Mario Kart is the only one I really enjoy, so I'm hoping the 3DS incarnation as polished and enjoyable as that. I liked the original back in the day, but the others leave me pretty cold. The tracks in MK64 seemed a bit uneven in quality and the Wii version just seemed a bit....loose somehow.

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:06 pm

AlleyKat wrote:Weirdly the DS Mario Kart is the only one I really enjoy, so I'm hoping the 3DS incarnation as polished and enjoyable as that. I liked the original back in the day, but the others leave me pretty cold.
That is weird! to me at least :lol:
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:07 pm

AlleyKat wrote:Weirdly the DS Mario Kart is the only one I really enjoy, so I'm hoping the 3DS incarnation as polished and enjoyable as that. I liked the original back in the day, but the others leave me pretty cold. The tracks in MK64 seemed a bit uneven in quality and the Wii version just seemed a bit....loose somehow.
hopefully with a item switch to turn that censored blue shell off
i have had it up to here with that damn thing
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:10 pm

are they including the bike's in the 3ds version of mario kart?
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:11 pm

snowkatt wrote:to be honest i think at the moment any 3ds thread wil descend in to arguments
its a very polarizing handheld either you love it or you think its a over priced gimmicky piece of tosh with almost no inbetween
No! I disagree, that is why this thread was made to try a avoid arguments so people interested in the 3DS and owners alike can chat about games, offer advice etc. There is another thread that asks if the 3DS is worth buying and I suggest keeping things on topic and relevant to each thread. I don't want to argue about this point either as I'm sure that alone could also descend into a slagfest of 10 pages that no-one wants to read..

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:13 pm

Roo wrote:Ghost Recon was the most breathtakingly boring game I've ever played. I know it has it's fans, and I'm sorry to say it, but I thought it was a complete waste of time that didn't add anything to the genre. I hoped it would improve, but it didn't.

EDIT: My 3DS Friend Code is 0903 2725 2010 - feel free to let me know your FC if you'd want to add me!
Ah right, I did wonder about this game as I've heard a lot of good things but I'm not so sure it's for me, it does look very boring so I may steer clear of it.

I'll add you to my friends list, it's a good idea for us all to exchange 3DS friend codes I think.

My FC: 5455-9440-1848

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:13 pm

I've currently got:

Super SFIV - Great port (minus the static backgrounds). 3D is so-so but the 60fps 2D mode is much better. Controls work better than I thought they would especially with the touchscreen shortcuts.

Dead or Alive Dimentions - Like SFIV, a great port and one that I feel is more suited to the control scheme (Its much easier to pull of moves/combo's). Plenty of single player content and nice downloadable content. Like SFIV its best played in 2D.

Ridge Racer - I've always loved the series and this one is no different. Graphics are just ok but the 3D effect is rather nice. The content is nothing all that different to the previous console/PSP entries but its still just as addictive to play.

Lego Star Wars III - Eh, not to bad (its one of the better Lego games) and in places the 3D is really nice but I haven't touched it for quite a while...

Samurai Warriors - Another franchise I really like and this game seems to be one of the better in the series. Lots of content to unlock/complete plus great weekly DLC (thats still being released) has been keeping me playing since launch.

Zelda OoT - A great port and some really nice 3D effects. I'm still not the biggest fan of the 3D Zelda games though so it hasn't quite gripped me as much as I'd hoped it would.

Resident Evil Mercs - My kind of game. Online Co-op is great fun, all the skills keep me replaying previous levels to unlock/level up everything and I find it incredibly addictive. Easily my favourite game for the 3DS.

Pilot Wings - A nice demo for the 3D and I've been really enjoying to try and get the best ranks for each event. Haven't touched it for a while though...

Steel Diver - Seems like a real marmite game. I personally like it, like the way the subs handle and the subtle 3D effects the game has. Game length doesn't bother me either as I'm still trying to get the best medal ranks with all the subs on all the levels.

Unsurprisingly I'm really looking forward to Star Fox 64, Mario 3D (big fan of the series) and Megaman Legends 3 (should it ever see the light of day that is). Not sure about RE Revelations, the demo left me unsure of it. The atmosphere is there but the uninspired enemy design is still bothering me a bit.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:20 pm

Its not just those blobby gits though is it? Doesnt this one have trad zombies as well?