Frustrating, Annoying Moments.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DigitalDuck

Re: Frustrating, Annoying Moments.

Post by DigitalDuck » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:03 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Certain racing games that don't have the option to replay, i.e. restart, a race once your current race is over with one button press. Being sent back to the damn title screen and having to cycle through various menu selection screens to replay the same race is a royal pain in the arse. Here's looking at you, Sega Rally Online Arcade. Grrrrr!
In fact, make that "games in general that don't have a restart option".

Also, games that have a restart option, but insist on loading ABSOLUTELY EVERY SINGLE ASSET again meaning a fifteen-second wait in-between attempts.

Also, games that have a restart option, but it's the second or third down on the pause menu and the pause menu doesn't accept input straight away, meaning you mash "START-DOWN-A" to restart only to find that the menu wasn't ready for your down so you just end up continuing. It's not frustrating the first time, but it is the 6927694924th time.

Also, menus that don't accept input from both the thumbstick and D-pad.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:30 pm

DigitalDuck wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:Certain racing games that don't have the option to replay, i.e. restart, a race once your current race is over with one button press. Being sent back to the damn title screen and having to cycle through various menu selection screens to replay the same race is a royal pain in the arse. Here's looking at you, Sega Rally Online Arcade. Grrrrr!
In fact, make that "games in general that don't have a restart option".

Also, games that have a restart option, but insist on loading ABSOLUTELY EVERY SINGLE ASSET again meaning a fifteen-second wait in-between attempts.

Also, games that have a restart option, but it's the second or third down on the pause menu and the pause menu doesn't accept input straight away, meaning you mash "START-DOWN-A" to restart only to find that the menu wasn't ready for your down so you just end up continuing. It's not frustrating the first time, but it is the 6927694924th time.

Also, menus that don't accept input from both the thumbstick and D-pad.

Yes, I can feel your hate too! :mrgreen:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:32 pm

Unskippable cut-scenes... If I've already seen them once, I shouldn't have to again.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Sonic's voice in Sonic Adventure. In fact make that hearing Sonic talk full stop. Grrrrr!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:36 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:Unskippable cut-scenes... If I've already seen them once, I shouldn't have to again.
I'll add to that. Save points that are just before unskippable cut-scenes!

GREENHORN

Post by GREENHORN » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:42 pm

Protect and guard a character to be able to either continue to the next level or finish the game.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:25 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:Unskippable cut-scenes... If I've already seen them once, I shouldn't have to again.
Yep, the QTE at the end of GoW 2 is preceded by a fairly lenghty cut scene between Kratos and Zeus. I had to sit through that quite a few times today. If I had hair it would have all been pulled out. Just let me skip it ffs!

Eat your nans pants

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:37 am

Looney Tunes Space Race, the whole thing. The number of times I've been squashed by an anvil or dropped down a hole on the last stretch while winning doesn't bear thinking about.

The Mask Seller

Post by The Mask Seller » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:55 am

GREENHORN wrote:Protect and guard a character to be able to either continue to the next level or finish the game.
Agreed. I'm looking at you N64 era Natalya Simenova.
"Only the guilty have anything to fear. And the innocent, if we're having a slow day."

Mr.Saturn

Post by Mr.Saturn » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:39 am

Liamh1982 wrote:Speaking of hardware, and with all the Dreamcast talk:
SUDDEN RESET SYNDROME!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Ugh, heartbreaking, every time.

thebear

Post by thebear » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:46 am

One that poersists even in the critically acclaimed COD games

You have squad mates with you

You pick a spot, start launching a stream of 1000's of bullets at the enemy

and...................one of your squad mates decides to run directly into the line of fire (usually about 3 foot from the end of your gun)

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

OK in most of these games they fdon't die from your fire, but it's still ver y very annoying
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

thebear

Post by thebear » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:54 am

also any schmup that basically once you die the first time around you may as well not have any other lives as you'll never be able to get enough weapon upgrades to survive more than 0.2 nano seconds of the higher levels
one of the biggest collections of classic 70's, 80'S and on wrestling and boxing around - http://www.freewebs.com/cbenee

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:56 am

thebear wrote:also any schmup that basically once you die the first time around you may as well not have any other lives as you'll never be able to get enough weapon upgrades to survive more than 0.2 nano seconds of the higher levels
Not a Gradius fan, I take it...
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:57 am

The crappy too small analogue triggers on the PS3 controller. Grrrr!

thebear

Post by thebear » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:58 am

DigitalDuck wrote:
thebear wrote:also any schmup that basically once you die the first time around you may as well not have any other lives as you'll never be able to get enough weapon upgrades to survive more than 0.2 nano seconds of the higher levels
Not a Gradius fan, I take it...

lol the exact series I was gonna mention if asked for an example!