Frustrating, Annoying Moments.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DreamcastRIP

Re: Frustrating, Annoying Moments.

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:01 pm

Systems that "yellow" over time. Here's looking at you Amiga 1200 and SNES!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:14 pm

malekith1979 wrote:I can't remember if it was GoW 1 or 2 where you had to ascend rotating pillars with knives on them and if you got so much as scratched with one, you fell all the way to the bottom. That bit really ground my gears! A younger friend of mine has lent me Demons Souls, and said that'd test my patience too, seeing as I'm always going on about how easy games are nowadays, and how he wouldn't have lasted 5 mins in the hardcore 8-bit days :lol:
We shall see....
I did that first go. Nothing to do with my gaming prowess, sheer luck :lol:

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:02 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Systems that "yellow" over time. Here's looking at you Amiga 1200 and SNES!
Dreamcasts as well! Mine has anyway...

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:04 pm

Mine has toooo.

I think it's a little bit charming. I've come to terms with yellowing now..
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:07 pm

Odd though, my DC's only yellowed on the top and my SNES on the bottom.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:12 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:Systems that "yellow" over time. Here's looking at you Amiga 1200 and SNES!
Yeah, I've heard of the same thing happening to DC too. All I can say is that my DC hasn't yellowed one bit. I'm a smoker too, not that I know whether cigarette smoke causes the problem - I suspect different consoles are made from different types of plastic so therefore react differently to the elements they're exposed to.

My Japanese Saturn hasn't yellowed either.
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:13 pm

The library in the first Halo and the Flood in general.

The blue shell in Mario Kart and the laser thing in CTR. Pure unfair and a bizarre punishment for being good enough to lead the race :roll:

Tw@ts hacking stuff like PSN and ruining it for everyone to 'prove' a stupid point.

Not being able to turn off character reselecting in fighting games for when you continue. Capcom Vs SNK 2 lets you do it so why does something new like MvC3 force you to reselect everybody and their assist types? I can understand why it might be useful but surely you should have the option of 'quick continuing'?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:18 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Liamh1982 wrote:
Yeah, I've heard of the same thing happening to DC too. All I can say is that my DC hasn't yellowed one bit. I'm a smoker too, not that I know whether cigarette smoke causes the problem - I suspect different consoles are made from different types of plastic so therefore react differently to the elements they're exposed to.

My Japanese Saturn hasn't yellowed either.
Being a non-smoker, I can say it's not the fags.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:20 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:Being a non-smoker, I can say it's not the fags.
Maybe it's something in the air down Wrexham way? Mold, perhaps? :lol:

(Terrible play on words, I know!)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:23 pm

Just keep 'em out of direct sunlight - that does the most damage (see also manky PS2 spines where the white is now a p1ss yellow colour).

The worst are NES consoles where grey somehow manages to fade to a disgusting yellow colour. I can only assume that things back then were made out of different types of plastic.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:26 pm

Does anyone know if the original model PC Engine is also susceptible to yellowing too?

crusto

Post by crusto » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:26 pm

Megamixer wrote:Just keep 'em out of direct sunlight - that does the most damage (see also manky PS2 spines where the white is now a p1ss yellow colour).

The worst are NES consoles where grey somehow manages to fade to a disgusting yellow colour. I can only assume that things back then were made out of different types of plastic.
The same thing happens with uPVC windows believe it or not, especially the more 'economical' ones.

Eat your nans pants

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:27 pm

crusto wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Just keep 'em out of direct sunlight - that does the most damage (see also manky PS2 spines where the white is now a p1ss yellow colour).

The same thing happens with uPVC windows believe it or not, especially the more 'economical' ones.
Yeah. I remember my Grandad's plastic window frames being badly yellowed and he was a heavy smoker.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:28 pm

crusto wrote:

What about the Sinclair C5 then? :mrgreen:

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:54 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:Odd though, my DC's only yellowed on the top and my SNES on the bottom.
the cases/components were made in different parts of the world and bought together to be assembled on the production line. You got cases where (possibly) the top half was made in one hemisphere and the bottom in another. Differing manufacturing methods/raw materials/procedures/chemicals...etc etc ends up with two halves that look alike when new, but over time age differently.

anyway,

Gran Turismo driving licenses.....drove me bonkers at the time, especially as i sold GT 1 to buy GT2 and didn't realise i could keep the save data :(
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)