Frustrating, Annoying Moments.

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowMan

Re: Frustrating, Annoying Moments.

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:47 am

Couple more that spring to mind:

Eggman Land in Sonic Unleashed - it takes 20-30 minutes at least to clear this god awful level where you switch between both Sonics. Apart from being glitchy and having evil platforming sections aplenty if you lose all your lives you'll wind up back at the very start of the level. Its a minor miracle I made it through that level :x

Final Act on Sonic 2006 - Play as every character in a "short" level that again if you lose all your lives you have to do the entire thing again. And it gets frustratingly difficult pretty quickly with glitches and instant deaths...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

adippm82

Post by adippm82 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:07 pm

Fighting my way all the way to the end of Gears Of War, only to come up against Raam, armed only with a machine gun, and shotgun, due to some poor gun choices before I got there, he must have killed me 15 odd times before I got the better of the git.

Halo 3, a great game let down by the fist chewingly awful level where you have to find Cortana, while fighting off the flood from every angle, goes on forever, and then when you find her, having to fight all the way back to the beginning, with a time limit, I'm getting too old for this kind of stress.

Also the Library level in the first Halo, just so dull, goes on for far too long, great battle at the end though.

Another vote for the last level of Half Life 2, Episode 2, as if taking down the striders with those stupid sticky bombs was not hard enough, having the hunters after you as well, is just a bit much.

Going further back to playing Elite, fighting all the way to a space station, only for it not to let you in, then having to fly out to the sun to refuel, only to get attacked by pirates who always seemed to destroy the fuel scoop, half an hours work wasted.

Any Mario Kart level, where you get hit by a red shell within spitting distance of the finish lane, coming in third or fourth.

Turok Dinosaur Hunter, who thought it was a good idea to spend most of the game performing precision jump after precision jump, getting one wrong after performing seven good ones, and watching him for the umpteenth time falling to his death.

dste

Post by dste » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:06 am

ShadowMan wrote:Fragile Dreams had a really annoying bit right at the end of the game - the motion sensor room was a real frustrating moment as if you even flinch just a little you have to fight a bunch of robots and then try the whole damn room again :x Almost ruined the game for me...
I found that bit to be alright, it was the ridiculously long corridors/ladders/stairs that went on and on and on that frustrated the hell out of me.

The last couple of levels of Wario World on the Cube had some really frustrating mini-levels where I could really feel the blood starting to boil. Only reason I did them was because I wanted to 100% the game.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:03 pm

ghouls'n ghosts picking up one of the rubbish weapons,especially at key moments such as just before the slug/caterpillar boss accidentally picking up the throwing star/shield weapon.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

malekith1979

Post by malekith1979 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:01 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:ghouls'n ghosts picking up one of the rubbish weapons,especially at key moments such as just before the slug/caterpillar boss accidentally picking up the throwing star/shield weapon.
OMG, you've just reminded me of how when I used to play the original Ghosts n Goblins in the arcade I'd do ANYTHING to try and not pick up the stupid fire bomb weapon, although I'd always try to jump over it and end up getting it anyway :D . Usually just before the first Red Arremer, so it was game over and another 10p stab for me. At a time when 10p was a not inconsiderable sum.

alistair_thomas

Post by alistair_thomas » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:10 pm

Laugh at me all you want, but I've given up on Rayman and Crash Bandicoot on the Playstation. I'm about half way through each game now, and finding some of the levels very challenging. What frustrates me though is how you are expected to complete a series of levels before reaching another check point - this means I struggle through one level, make it through, struggle through the next level, make it through (barely) then lose all my lives in the third level and have to start over again. I'm not asking for the difficulty to be altered at all, just the opportunity to save in between levels.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:37 am

Been playing a lot of my wii arcade downloads that id forgot about - one being Super Ghouls n Ghosts.

Jesus christ is this the most frustrating game ever?? im only on the water raft level, the fish seem to be programmed to move only as youve jumped and know the trajectory that you are going to land at, this and when you do get to the end of level boss, one hit and you are dead...back to the start of the slow moving level....i know its only going to get worse.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:59 am

Having the rrod on no less than 3 occasions. Also, having to wait for weeks to get a data transfer cable. I think someone on here bailed me out in the end.

Eat your nans pants

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:51 pm

Speaking of hardware, and with all the Dreamcast talk:
SUDDEN RESET SYNDROME!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:02 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:Speaking of hardware, and with all the Dreamcast talk:
:lol:
I had that happen on my launch day purchased DC a few years ago. Bloody annoying it was too. All I did was remove the casing, carefully remove some dust which had settled, give the associated pin connector a bit of a clean then put it back together and it's worked fine since. Have I been lucky?
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:13 pm

Squad/Team based games where the computer controlled members have terrible A.I! They haven't even got it sorted in Current-Gen games, playing Ghostbusters is more like a paramedic simulator having to revive your team every 5mins on the later stages and in EDF2017 the other computer controller EDF soldiers are just cannon fodder for the enemy!

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:20 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:Speaking of hardware, and with all the Dreamcast talk:
Had 2 DC's in a row suffer from this.easy enough to open case up, gently tweak the pins etc, but after a while? (and with units being so cheap) easier just to buy new machine.

I'm going to add:Any game that has you doing block pushing puzzles whilst fending off re-spawning foes (Soul Reaver), Any game that expects your character to fight loads of foes etc, whilst infected/powers going out of control whatever...Prototype, Bioshock, Far Cry 2 all guilty here in areas.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:23 pm

The "Test Of Fear" in Starfox Adventures drove me round the bend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdVIpxdOxH4
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

thevulture

Post by thevulture » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:25 pm

So-called stealth sections on FPS etc, that were put in because stealth seen as 'all the rage' but are scripted to point of it does'nt really matter where you hide, broad daylight, pitch black etc-soon as you step over invisible line, guards turn, spot you, alarm sounded etc, game just wants you to carry out set action, ie kill guard within set time.

Grenade spamming in FPS-You've put in me in tight corridor situation, in terms of level design, got hordes of troops rushing at me (yes, very clever), so..i'm ducked down and now A.I decides each i need a shower of grenades to descend-Is it any wonder i just run from checkpoint to checkpoint?.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:48 pm

Certain racing games that don't have the option to replay, i.e. restart, a race once your current race is over with one button press. Being sent back to the damn title screen and having to cycle through various menu selection screens to replay the same race is a royal pain in the arse. Here's looking at you, Sega Rally Online Arcade. Grrrrr!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac