Limited/Collector's Editions Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

gmintyfresh

Re: Limited/Collector's Editions Thread

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:29 am

Oh dear, for a company that have been one of the few to do great special editons this generation this is a bit cr@ppy. Those bulk buyers that manage to get their copies will be rubbing their hands together!
Morkin wrote:Looks like there's a spot of bother over in the US.
Ni No Kuni and the Wrath of the Horrible PR Disaster

This week was supposed to be joyful for North American gamers who've waited years to dive into Level-5 and Studio Ghibli's jointly produced role-playing masterpiece, Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch. And as many fans are discovering, the game has been well worth the wait. But for the biggest fans - those who put down $120 on publisher Namco Bandai's website to secure the Wizard's Edition of the game - the Ni No Kuni launch has been anything but magical.

Reports earlier this week from upset fans on NeoGAF, Facebook, Twitter and the official Namco Bandai forums suggested orders were being cancelled due to billing errors. Others stated their credit cards and bank accounts had been hit with pre-authorization charges for the game, but that customer service representatives for Digital River, the order fulfillment company Namco Bandai uses for their online store, could not provide shipping estimates. Launch day came and went, and while those who'd picked up the standard version of the game were enjoying it immensely, fans who'd ordered the Wizard's Edition were completely in the dark about when their copies were going to ship.

On Wednesday afternoon, some fans reported getting shipping notifications; then in the early evening, Digital River issued an official statement via the Namco Bandai forums:

We apologize for the discrepancies you may have encountered with your order of NAMCO BANDAI’s Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch™ – Wizard’s Edition. As one of our valued customers, we want to assure you that a Digital River representative will be reaching out to you individually via email to address your specific issue. Should you wish to contact us, please call us at 952-392-2057. We sincerely appreciate your patience as we work through this situation.

The mood lightened as talk among fans shifted from the poorly handled launch to the quality of Level-5's game. Then something else happened: Namco Bandai sent out a mass email to hundreds of fans telling them their orders had been cancelled and that they wouldn't be able to get the game after all:

Digital River is very sorry for the problems you had ordering NAMCO BANDAI's Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch™ - Wizard's Edition. Regretfully, we must inform you that because of an error in our ordering system, the available inventory of Wizard's Edition was oversold by mistake. As a result, we were unable to fulfill your order because it was placed after the stock was depleted. You will receive an official order cancellation notice within 24-48 hours.

It sounded like a simple, unfortunate, stocking error, but then the forums exploded yet again when fans who'd ordered the game last summer reported having their orders cancelled, while others who'd gotten the game during a one-day restock last week received shipping confirmations. While there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason as to who had their orders cancelled and who received shipping notifications, one thing is clear to us after several hours waiting on hold with Digital River's customer service: neither Namco Bandai nor Digital River were equipped to handle the demand for the game.
http://www.ign.com/blogs/mikebrns/2013/ ... -disaster/

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:44 am

Well i got an email from Zavvi yesterday to say my Wizards edition had been delayed. I'm wondering if it's a polite way of saying that they don't have it in stock. :?
Ill be pretty miffed if that's the case since i placed my order back in july.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Flint

Post by Flint » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:08 am

ShadowNeku wrote:Well i got an email from Zavvi yesterday to say my Wizards edition had been delayed. I'm wondering if it's a polite way of saying that they don't have it in stock. :?
Ill be pretty miffed if that's the case since i placed my order back in july.
I wouldn't worry about that too much, I had an email from them apologising for the delay in delivering Fire Emblem: Awakening, that game isn't even out until April!

Btw America is getting the Fire Emblem 3DS so there's a good chance it will come out over here too, although in America it's a regular sized 3DS without a physical copy of the game so it's not that great a package.

ALK

Post by ALK » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:39 pm

I keep getting those e-maIs from Zavvi for my steelbook of Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Try telling me in Late March Zavvi... -_-
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

skodathegreat

Post by skodathegreat » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:44 pm

Nightmare for those who pre-ordered well in advance.
They should be prepared to offer the normal version at a discounted price.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:03 am

If anyone finds any extra Ni No Kuni CE online, I'd be grateful for a heads up if possible please. :) I can't imagine for one second that there will be any extra stock around, but you never know. Ta very much. :)

the_b1ues

Post by the_b1ues » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:22 am

Anyone no if there will be a limited 3ds for when luigis mansion comes out?

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:19 am

the_b1ues wrote:Anyone no if there will be a limited 3ds for when luigis mansion comes out?
None announced yet.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Joey

Post by Joey » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:53 am

I don't know if it's been mentioned but all GAME pre orders for Metal Gear Rising will come with a steel book cover.

the_b1ues

Post by the_b1ues » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:31 pm

ALK wrote:
the_b1ues wrote:Anyone no if there will be a limited 3ds for when luigis mansion comes out?
None announced yet.
Ive been looking to get a 3ds but was going to wait until Lugis Miansion came out. Thought there might of been a green ds or something. I can still hope.

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:06 pm

the_b1ues wrote:
ALK wrote:
None announced yet.
Ive been looking to get a 3ds but was going to wait until Lugis Miansion came out. Thought there might of been a green ds or something. I can still hope.
Yeah, could easily happen, though there are very few limited edition 3DS's right now.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Flint

Post by Flint » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:48 pm

Ni No Kuni possibly in stock, although I doubt it actually is.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/ni-no-k ... om-1460557

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:51 pm

Morkin wrote:If anyone finds any extra Ni No Kuni CE online, I'd be grateful for a heads up if possible please. :) I can't imagine for one second that there will be any extra stock around, but you never know. Ta very much. :)
Be quick, they've still got em on play.com http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/ ... d8d15273f3

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:53 pm

Cheers mate. :D I spotted that on Twitter & ordered right away, although it's strange that it's still showing as in stock at the moment. Play.com must surely have been inundated with orders & they can't have had too many copies in stock. Oh well. Let's see if I get it or not! :)

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:02 am

Had confirmation that my Ni No Kuni Wizard'd Edition preorder was dispatched yesterday! Fingers crossed everyone else is ok.