Limited/Collector's Editions Thread

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Random Hero

Limited/Collector's Editions Thread

Post by Random Hero » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:58 pm

Seen this thread on one or two other forums and couldn't find one here so I thought it would be quite useful to a few peeps. This is for anything to do with limited/collector's editions, whether it's announcements, confirming existance, photos, etc.

I did have a bit of a greedy reason for wanting to start this. :oops:

Can anyone confirm if the following exist and if it's still possible to buy them apart from eBay.

Sonic Colours Limited Edition DS UK PAL - I know the Wii one exists, but I've not seen a DS UK version. Any help finding a Wii version anywhere apart from eBay would be much appreciated too though. :)
Sonic Colours Classic Controller Edition Wii - Australia only, but I haven't been able to source one. Anywhere still selling it in Oz?
Sonic Classic Collection Limited Edition DS - I'm fairly sure there are only Spanish and Australian versions. Any ideas where I can buy the Australian copy?

Once again, sorry for the selfish reason for the thread. Hopefully it'll actually turn out to be useful in the long run though. :)

Rayne

Re: Limited/Collector's Editions Thread

Post by Rayne » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:26 pm

Sorry, I know nothing about the Sonic Colours bundles :P

But Collector's editions in general are pretty cool, I used to buy them all up but eventually got wise to it. I never read the art book, watched the extra DVD, the figure collected dust, etc etc.

The great thing about them is they properly price crash! Got this Dead Rising Bundle for £25!

And this Tekken one for £20!

Flint

Post by Flint » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:29 pm

As far as I'm aware there isn't a UK special edition for Sonic Colours DS, instead it was a separate (non-exclusive) figure that was available as a pre-order bonus.

http://www.sonicstadium.org/2010/11/fur ... der-offer/
Last edited by Flint on Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Random Hero

Post by Random Hero » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:29 pm

Yeah they do usually depreciate bloody quickly. Luckily I held off on the Dead Rising one you just posted and opted for the steelbook instead.

I tend to go for stuff that I know has a low print run/steelbooks (they are pretty! :lol: )/favourite series. I can't afford to get most special editions now, as shelf space is a premium in my current room.

Random Hero

Post by Random Hero » Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:32 pm

Flint wrote:As far as I'm aware there isn't a UK special edition for Sonic Colours DS, instead it was a separate figure that was available as a pre-order bonus.

Cheers buddy! Seems weird that we'd get one and not the other, but then again SEGA don't always make a lot of sense. ;)

James A

Post by James A » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:39 am

Random Hero wrote:Yeah they do usually depreciate bloody quickly. Luckily I held off on the Dead Rising one you just posted and opted for the steelbook instead.

I tend to go for stuff that I know has a low print run/steelbooks (they are pretty! :lol: )/favourite series. I can't afford to get most special editions now, as shelf space is a premium in my current room.
The Halo reach one now that crashed in price very quickly

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:49 am

Im tempted to pre-order the Wii Xenoblade CE with red classic controller pro etc but at £50 its a bit steep and will probably bomb at retail & do a Goldeneye CE - ie drop to under £20 soon as i buy it :twisted:

Anyone else picking the CE up?
http://www.gamestation.co.uk/webapp/wcs ... SearchView
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:29 am

Random Hero wrote:
Flint wrote:As far as I'm aware there isn't a UK special edition for Sonic Colours DS, instead it was a separate figure that was available as a pre-order bonus.

Cheers buddy! Seems weird that we'd get one and not the other, but then again SEGA don't always make a lot of sense. ;)
Exclusives are decided by the territories and are also dependant on the retailer interest. They could have an awesome special edition planned but if no-one is interested they don't get manufactured. I actually saw in Sweden only a few weeks back a larger box of the DS Sonic Colours with the figures packed into it - never seen it before. I almost bought it, it was in the sale for only a £10. It was in Gamestop if you want to try and look it up.

James A

Post by James A » Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:09 am

TheNewMonkey wrote:Im tempted to pre-order the Wii Xenoblade CE with red classic controller pro etc but at £50 its a bit steep and will probably bomb at retail & do a Goldeneye CE - ie drop to under £20 soon as i buy it :twisted:

Pre ordered it on the thinking that the Wiis on its way out so it might be a bit of a collectable. Then again i haven't got a Wii yet so will need a classic controller when i do get one.

astaroth

Post by astaroth » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:21 am

Are we talking Wii editions or editions in general?

I used to collect them but have slowly lost interest in them lately, as has been said, their value drops very quickly.

Used to own all these:

Sold most now though. Although there are some that will hold their value IMO. Personally i think both Two Worlds ones will be worth a bit.

I have Fallout 3 Lunchbox, Fallout New Vegas and Fable 3 editions on show in my living room as they are my personal faves. Both Two Worlds would be added but they are just too big!!!!!!!

Had Duke Nukem but was majorly disappointed with what i got for my money. I also see it can be had for £35 now???? :? :( :o :shock: :lol:

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:05 am

Limited Edition games aren't limited anymore so there's no point in buying them. Vanilla releases for me only thanks.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

astaroth

Post by astaroth » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:06 am

Pretty sure Fallout New Vegas had a limited run?

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:54 am

I was lucky enough to find Monster Hunter 3 Tri Ultimate Hunter Pack for £19.99 at Gamestation one time. Game, controller, Wii Speak (Which I own already, but going to sell for more money saving XD) and little figurine. ;)
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:27 pm

Rayne wrote: And this Tekken one for £20!
Think I paid around £40 for mine but it's a cool thing to have even at that price. The stick feels a bit cheap mind so I haven't used it. The artbook is lovely though. Did you know that there is another CE for Tekken 6 though? It comes with a hoodie or something. The arcade stick bundle isn't strictly a 'limited edition'.

As for CE's in general, they are pointless these days. Why? Because practically every game released has a CE version, rarer slipcase version or store-exclusive cover art etc. Look back a few generations ago and this just wasn't the case. It's all just greed from retailers and publishers alike.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Random Hero

Post by Random Hero » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:29 pm

Mootown wrote:
Random Hero wrote:

Exclusives are decided by the territories and are also dependant on the retailer interest. They could have an awesome special edition planned but if no-one is interested they don't get manufactured. I actually saw in Sweden only a few weeks back a larger box of the DS Sonic Colours with the figures packed into it - never seen it before. I almost bought it, it was in the sale for only a £10. It was in Gamestop if you want to try and look it up.
Thanks for the tip Moo, although I can't seem to find it on their site. That could be down to the fact that it's not very user friendly mind you. If you could buy all Sonic Limited Editions into the company just for me in future though buddy it'd be much appreciated! ;)
TheNewMonkey wrote:Im tempted to pre-order the Wii Xenoblade CE with red classic controller pro etc but at £50 its a bit steep and will probably bomb at retail & do a Goldeneye CE - ie drop to under £20 soon as i buy it :twisted:

Tempted and I do think it'll be one of those Limited Editions that would probably be worth a fair bit eventually, although possibly not for some years.