Cover Disk Classics!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Graham Humphrey

Re: Cover Disk Classics!

Post by Graham Humphrey » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:56 pm

I would also like to second (or third, etc) Premier Picks, Llamatron, Extreme Violence, Drip and Scorched Tanks. Hours and hours of entertainment in that little lot.

I'd also add a couple of games on Amiga Power disks in early '96 towards the end - Knockout (eight player game where you have to, er, knock each other out of an ever-decreasing circle that passes for an arena). and especially Deluxe Galaga - my first introduction to that superb game, and kept me up late at night, on a school night, as a nine year old, reaching level 203. Was very proud of that at the time. Super Foul Egg was another fun one - basically a straight Puyo Puyo clone.

And not forgetting the mighty Gravity Force 2 (later followed by Gravity Power). Sheer brilliance.
Lemon Amiga is now on YouTube and Facebook!

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:00 pm

The one I remember the best is a football management game called The Manager that appeared on ST Action. It was really good and me and my best mate played it for hours. There was even this great cheat where if you had Gudni Bergsson you could keep selling him and he would never leave your team!!!!

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:15 pm

Really liked the Moonstone demo that CU Amiga had on one their coverdisks.
It's one of the bloodiest game I've ever played on the Amiga.
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:32 am

i fired up drip! after this thread - first time in years. i've got really really bad at it. either that, or my usb joystick isn't very good, not sure which to blame yet :D

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:52 am

Some good memories here. Scorched Tanks, Extreme Violence, Gravity Force 1 and 2, Bulldog Blighty, Premier Picks... but there was one game that got me to actually send off for the full game, if I remember rightly I got a couple of bonus games back as well...

I just can't remember the name of it. It was a 5-player Light Cycles game. I'm sure the freeware version was only 4 player. Bundled in was a clone of The Light Corridor (Remember that one?) or 3D Pong if you prefer.
ImageImage

mainvein

Post by mainvein » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:20 pm

greenberet79 wrote:Bip on the Amiga - it was two bi-planes flying around the screen trying to shoot each other down. It was an exceptional 2-player game!

bip was amazing! played that to death

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:56 am

Fishsta wrote:Some good memories here. Scorched Tanks, Extreme Violence, Gravity Force 1 and 2, Bulldog Blighty, Premier Picks... but there was one game that got me to actually send off for the full game, if I remember rightly I got a couple of bonus games back as well...

I just can't remember the name of it. It was a 5-player Light Cycles game. I'm sure the freeware version was only 4 player. Bundled in was a clone of The Light Corridor (Remember that one?) or 3D Pong if you prefer.
Tangle was 4 players, not sure if a) it was shareware and b) if there was a 5-player full version of it though.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:20 pm

Blitz Bombers! Cybernetix and T.F.X - well the last one ran more like a slideshow when it finally came, god noes what possessed Ocean to announce it for Amiga and CD32, the power simply wasn't there on the lower end machines, shame really, same for Magic Carpet I think Commodore over promised what the Akiko chip was capable of, alot of the cancelled games were never gonna make it from the moment the machine came out! Buts that's another topic sorry!

RichL

Post by RichL » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:24 pm

Didn't ST/Amiga Format (when it was still as one) give away E-Motion from US Gold?

Or was it just Amiga Format on its own?

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:28 am

Wasn't there some SERIOUS backlash over Amiga Action and their giveaway of Quik the Thunder Rabbit?

And that light cycle game is going to bug me. It wasn't Tangle.
ImageImage

spaniyell

Post by spaniyell » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:54 am

Entombed on the ST was of commercial quality! Tough as old boots though.

Fishsta

Post by Fishsta » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:00 am

Found out what that Light Cycle Game was... WIRED CHAOS. By a Mr David J Cruickshank.

The demo included with it was Hydrozone.
ImageImage