Cover Disk Classics!

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

bensonrad

Cover Disk Classics!

Post by bensonrad » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:39 am

As we have a Cover Tape Classics thread going, how about Cover Disks from the 16-Bit years.

I used to love buying CU Amiga, one disc that I treasured (and still have should I ever get an Amiga again) was one containing the PD game Drip. I could still play this game for hours and hours on end. You had to move along a single screen of pipes changing the colour, avoiding the baddies and stopping the clouds wiping away your paint.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

thingonaspring

Re: Cover Disk Classics!

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:11 am

Drip was brilliant. loved that...
there was another disc - cant' remember which magazines, but
crazy tennis
dynamite warriors (?)
gravity force

i expect there were lots more, but those are off the top of my head.

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:18 am

There was a CU Amiga disk with... was it Gravity Wars? It was like Tanks, but you controlled the Enterprise and a Klingon ship and your missiles bent around planets according to gravity. I played that for hours back in the day.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:50 am

Think I was introduced to Llamatron through an ST Format coverdisk.

Flint

Post by Flint » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:16 am

The PS1 magazine demo disc that had the net yaroze compilation as it contained so many (rocks and) gems like Super Bub, the alien breed clone and total soccer.

Yes it’s a 32-bit disk but I’m not starting another thread.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:49 am

Bip on the Amiga - it was two bi-planes flying around the screen trying to shoot each other down. It was an exceptional 2-player game!
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:12 pm

Extreme Violence on the Amiga...

Played this loads on my mate's Amiga....it's basically a top-down deathmatch game, with you and a mate trying to find each other in a maze and shoot the crap out of each other!

You could get lots of powerups to help you out, and it was all surprisingly fun for such a basic little game!

Apparently it came with issue 24 of Amiga Power, and was by a chap called Simon Green and written using AMOS...
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:00 pm

Twintris - a Tetris clone for the Amiga which was given away with Amiga Power. Plus, it had a two player mode.

Girl Actions - not what it sounds like. A Galaxian clone for the Amiga given away by Amiga Format(when they gave away other retro stuff like a Space invaders clone).
Last edited by Katzkatz on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Trixta

Post by Trixta » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:25 pm

Cannon Soccer :)
psn- jason_trixta
wii u - trixtaa
twitter - @jason_trixta

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:58 pm

Remember getting the full version of a vertical shooter called 'Sidewinder' on Amiga via a coverdisc. I've forgotten which magazine it was (possibly a dual format one?) but it made me pretty chuffed back then and still looks pretty nice judging by vids on YouTube.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:52 am

Used to love the old coverdisks - definitely went through the (shameful!) phase of buying a magazine just because it had a sweet looking coverdisk. I remember around the time when I only had my BBC I used to absolutely loathe that none of the mags ever came with a 5 1/4" slapped on the front.

Anyway, let's see...

Archimedes
I never actually owned one of these, but a combination of there being ample at school - plus my dad being able to borrow them for the holidays - meant that there was a good reason for me to own lots of coverdisks. Probably the most memorable game for me was a 1-level demo of a game called Scorpius, which was basically an R-Type clone with a few bells and whistles. I'm not sure if it even ever saw the light of day in full-retail form, but I certainly played the hell out of the demo.

Others I can remember are Cataclysm (watery puzzle-type game with 'hyper-realistic' water effects), Fire Fight (pretty much a Mig 29 clone), and Guile - which was incredibly similar to Lander/Zarch but a bit more of a cave explorer.

Amiga
Never owned a miggy either, but many friends/relatives had them. I remember the one Amiga Power coverdisk that I actually picked up, which included Yo! Joe! and Premier Picks. Got me through what could have been a far more boring time at a relatives. ;) (Although he did have Road Rash, Alien Breed and PGA Golf I soon found out).

On a separate occasion, I remember tasting my first experience of Wild Cup Soccer on a coverdisk, and deciding it wasn't quite as good as Brutal Sports Football.

PC
Damn, I could truly be here all night talking about all the PC cover disks that I picked up. So I'll talk about the first ever CD coverdisk that I got instead - from issue 4 (I believe - may have been 7) of the short-lived PC Attack, for which many old Future faves such as Andy Dyer contributed.

The disk included a demo of Lemmings 3D, as well as Terminal Velocity and I think Hi-Octane. There was also a puzzle-platformer for which the name escapes me (you had to get out of jail I seem to recall). I remember when I first got my P100 I was pretty much playing the demos on this disk in-between bouts of Indycar Racing. Shame there is about one reference to PC Attack on the entire Internet, so I can't find out what else was on there.

Funnily enough, I think the first PC coverdisks I ever owned contained one of the Christmas Lemmings releases, so that seems to be a bit of a theme for me.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:09 am

scorched tanks was another amiga cover game i remember fondly.
and elevation for the sound at the very least! :lol:

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:14 am

Amiga -

Merv The Merciless - Splat style game with fun digitised effects

Zombie Apocalypse. fun shooter

Sensible Soccer Meets Bulldog Blighty (really worth checking out,this one)

Twintris - best version of Tetris bar none.

Scorched Tanks - ace artillery game

Premier Picks - far more fun than it ought to be
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:22 am

Trixta wrote:Cannon Soccer :)
The 1945 Sensi England Vs Germany demo? Used to love that and we'd boot it up as often as the real sensi! Great fun and trying to get the ball in the right position to cause the most damage. to the opposing team. Reminds me of using the bomb in Blood Bowl :oops: Great little disk

Lord Innit

Post by Lord Innit » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:21 pm

JazzFunk wrote:Remember getting the full version of a vertical shooter called 'Sidewinder' on Amiga via a coverdisc. I've forgotten which magazine it was (possibly a dual format one?) but it made me pretty chuffed back then and still looks pretty nice judging by vids on YouTube.
I had that disk.Mine kept crashing after about level 4.I think it was with CU Amiga.