Covertape classics

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Ferret Oxide

Re: Covertape classics

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:01 pm

Chaos came on a YS covertape once.

Lords of Midnight appeared on a Crash tape, too.

fgasking

Post by fgasking » Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:09 pm

Spellcast on Zzap Megatape 18 - fantastic demo by Genesis Software who did CJ's Elephant Antics

+1 for Fox Fights Back! .... I picked up the tape second hand a year after the magazine release, but was a great little game.

Pitfall 2 and Lightforce on CF Powerpack 11 ... mostly for nostalgic reasons of being the first C64 mag I bought.

Blues Brothers on Commodore Force was a big surprise - only about 2 years after its full commercial release.

So many others to choose from - Commodore Force in particular used to put on a lot of classic games when the C64 was in its twilight years. I always used to be astounded by what Amstrad Action got on their covertapes towards the end.... Elite???!? :)
Hunting and reporting on lost/unreleased games...

C64 - http://www.gtw64.co.uk
All formats - http://www.gamesthatwerent.com (Inc links for Amiga, PC, 3DO)
My blog - http://fgasking.wordpress.com

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:12 am

+1 for Batty.

I also seem to remember a game YS gave away called "Blind Panic" I really liked it at the time, but given that I haven't played it in well over 20 years & all I can remember about it is that it had a scary purple faced fellow on the loading screen & it was attached to the YS that had Vixen's Corrine Russell on the cover, it may be a turkey!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:24 pm

Ferret Oxide wrote:Chaos came on a YS covertape once.

Lords of Midnight appeared on a Crash tape, too.
Yes, I remember discovering Chaos that way too. One of my all-time favourite games. Similar to that, Rebelstar also came on a cover tape once.

Loved Fox Fight's Back, too.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:01 pm

Another one for Foxx Fights Back! :D

Wonderboy , Chaos and Rebelstar 2 were other YS covertapes that introduced me to games for the first time...

And the very first game I had for the Speccy was Mailstrom which came on a Sinclair User tape along with the Batman The Movie demo! I got the magazine before I even had a Spectrum, and used it as an excuse for my parents to get me one for Christmas! :mrgreen:

Never thought I'd get so engrossed in a Postman simulator...even if it did have more artillery than a normal post run!
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

Sixteen Plus

Post by Sixteen Plus » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:22 am

All C64 games.

Graphic Adventure Creator - Commodore Format. I had to apply for the instruction manual they offered through the magazine. To this day I had never made my own adventure, but it was a lot of fun trying. This is probably the best games creator for the C64. I love text adventures.

First Samurai demo - I think it was Commodore Format. It was the first level but can't remember if it was the full level. It was still so huge I ended up buying the game. Crap ending for such a mega game though.

Microdot - Surprise entry on the first covertape from the awful YC when they made the error of changing it into a more juvenile games and movies magazine. I don't know why, but this PD game was fun with lots of rooms to explore, and had it's own level editor.

Another which I can't place which magazine it appeared on.
Power Drift first level demo - It made me rush out and buy it.

Zzap64 Magazine

Creatures 2 demo - The bouncy snowfall sub-level. Simpllistic but it was the graphics which just simply blew me away.
Galax-I-Birds - Simple classic style shmup but it was a lot of fun.
Bombuzal (Full Game) - A shame I had already bought this game by then (in a way) tbh as this was an amazing isometric puzzle to give away free.
Boulderdash IV (construction kit) - One I didn't have in my collection :)
Paradroid - Classic. Nuff said.
Emlyn Hughes - Great footie game imho.

There's plenty of others I can't recall off the cuff, but I'll leave it there.
Last edited by Sixteen Plus on Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:55 am

Can't believe I forgot the brilliant C+VG OutRun/720* soundtrack tape, plus the Sinclair User arcade music tape that had tunes from Double Dragon 2, Gemini Wing, Silkworm etc. on it, I actually liked these way more than demo tapes and used to listen to them loads (back when tapes were king).
deadpan666 wrote:And the very first game I had for the Speccy was Mailstrom which came on a Sinclair User tape along with the Batman The Movie demo! I got the magazine before I even had a Spectrum, and used it as an excuse for my parents to get me one for Christmas! :mrgreen:
For some reason, your mention of Mailstrom triggered a memory of Cyclone appearing on some Spectrum covertape (possibly Crash???). Really loved that game, it seemed especially good as it was such a technically impressive game despite it being pretty old by the time it had hit that particular covertape.
Sixteen Plus wrote:Another which I can't place which magazine it appeared on.
Power Drift first level demo - It made me rush out and but it.
I'm pretty certain that was Zzap! but don't quote me on that. Also remember expecting the Katakis demo and instead getting Time Tunnel, an old US Gold arcade adventure (quite good but wanted to play Katakis!)

Dizrythmia

Post by Dizrythmia » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:43 am

gunbladelad wrote:Ikari Warriors
I remember Amstrad Action getting into a bit of legal trouble with SNK over that one. As for me, you can add a +1 to Blues Bros. That was a great game. Other games on AA tapes that I enjoyed included:

Marsport - I ALMOST played it through to the end
Tir Na Nog - Not as good as Marsport but still fun
Firelord - I really enjoyed this one
Seymour Take 1 - A fun mini version of Seymour goes to Hollywood
Dizzy & Treasure Island Dizzy - Of course
Hero Quest - It was only a demo, but I played that level over & over again

Being an Amstrad owner in Australia was hard as there wasn't much in the way of Amstrad releases. For me AA covertapes was the only way I could get new games. The most disappointing was Titus the Fox. AA raved (no pun intended) about it but while I found that the game was very pretty, the choppy scrolling put me off.

fgasking

Post by fgasking » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:49 pm

JazzFunk wrote:
I'm pretty certain that was Zzap! but don't quote me on that. Also remember expecting the Katakis demo and instead getting Time Tunnel, an old US Gold arcade adventure (quite good but wanted to play Katakis!)
Not quite :) It was Commodore User, but I only know as I recently found it when sifting through some loose tapes. They also did a "Cool Spool" tape which had 720, Buggy Boy and Flying Shark.

Another tape I remember which was cool was the ACE tape with Blue Max for the C64 on one side and Gift of the Gods for the Spectrum on the other.
Hunting and reporting on lost/unreleased games...

C64 - http://www.gtw64.co.uk
All formats - http://www.gamesthatwerent.com (Inc links for Amiga, PC, 3DO)
My blog - http://fgasking.wordpress.com

crusto

Post by crusto » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:53 pm

fgasking wrote:
JazzFunk wrote:
Not quite :) It was Commodore User, but I only know as I recently found it when sifting through some loose tapes. They also did a "Cool Spool" tape which had 720, Buggy Boy and Flying Shark.

Another tape I remember which was cool was the ACE tape with Blue Max for the C64 on one side and Gift of the Gods for the Spectrum on the other.
Sorry to go off topic, but are you in the air con trade? Your user name suggests so.....

Eat your nans pants

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:47 pm

Good gods, I rememebr playing some briilliant games during the 'Cover Tape Wars' (YS vs SU vs Crash).

Typhoon.
Tir Na Nog.
How To Be A Complete Bastard.
Bored of the Rings.
Gutz.
Wizards Lair.

ANd given that i was spending all my pocket money circa 90-92 on Speccy mags, I accrued a significant library og games very fast (IIRC, YS ended up with something like 12 games & demos on their covertape in the end).
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

deadpan666

Post by deadpan666 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:04 pm

JazzFunk wrote:
For some reason, your mention of Mailstrom triggered a memory of Cyclone appearing on some Spectrum covertape (possibly Crash???). Really loved that game, it seemed especially good as it was such a technically impressive game despite it being pretty old by the time it had hit that particular covertape.
It appeared on Issue 85 of Sinclair User, and then again on Issue 111. It's another one that I discovered through covertape (it's second appearance) and also another one I love! Loved the way the cyclone would completely mess with your controls when it caught up with you!
Cinema Of Stuff Presents - The Undying Monster! http://tinyurl.com/nekrjdx

Let's go, Mr. Driver!

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:07 pm

fairly certain i played a demo of Slicks on a c64 covertape, and it made me get it as soon as it came out too.