Cruis'n USA

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

TwoHeadedBoy

Cruis'n USA

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:38 am

Remember this one?

Played it endlessly in an arcade on holiday in 1998 (along with Metal Slug, oh yes), loved it, failed to get it working in MAME then forgot all about it.

Well, last night I was looking what was on the SD card in my 2nd-hand Wii - and Cruis'n USA was there! Didn't know it was on the N64 as well, so this is a good thing :D

Played it for ages last night, and it's still a lot of ridiculous fun. Like how the people in the oncoming cars can be heard screaming if you're about to crash into them, and the way your car can be involved in a head-on collision with a freight train and come out on top - the only damage being that it's now going at 50mph instead of 150mph, ho ho!

Also like how you can knock your opponents into oncoming traffic and cause a minor pile-up behind you. It's a mad game, and judging from what I've read on the Internet, an unfairly dismissed game.

Anyone else like/dislike it?
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

snowkatt

Re: Cruis'n USA

Post by snowkatt » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:52 am

awful awful game
iffy slippery controls shallow game play fugly graphics

there are worse games on the n64 but this one comes close
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

bensonrad

Post by bensonrad » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:20 am

Quite possibly one of the worst games I ever played, I too enjoyed the Arcade on holiday, was delighted to see it out on the N64, bought it, it was pap, I became so bored just driving along, with everthing repeating, in the end I had to throw it in as a freebie with some other n64 games which sold for 99p to get shot of it. :lol: An opportunity missed really.
WANTED: Mario Party 3 on N64 (just the Box only) ANY SNES GAMES, OR EMPTY SNES BOXES, INSTRUCTION MANUALS or WHITE INNER TRAYS.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:31 am

Gotta go with the consensus here, it's one of those holiday arcade games that you can develop a love for purely because your options are restricted. My personal holiday game was Area 51, a dreadful on-rails shooter that I loved and still do. Apparently that's grounds for chemical sterilisation.

The only thing I really remember about Cruisin' USA, though it may have been one of its sequels, was how the drivers were programmed to randomly glance into their side mirrors, way too often and regardless of what was going on around them. It would crack me up during any particularly tight section of racing that my avatar wouldn't even have his eyes on the road.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:51 am

there are actually 5 games in this series
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:05 pm

I adored this game and still really enjoy it now.
Might be because the controls are really easy and I'm not generally any good at driving games.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:56 pm

Heh, I love Area 51 as well :lol:
Just may have been the first light gun game I ever played in an arcade.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Roo

Post by Roo » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:56 pm

It's a real guilty pleasure for me. Cruis'n USA - no question about it - is absolutely mince. But there is something about it that I enjoy. Maybe it's the commendably awful soundtrack. Or perhaps the hilarious lack of handling. Maybe it's just the fact that it looks like a dog's dinner. Truly, I consider it "crap but amazing".

AceGrace

Post by AceGrace » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:34 pm

Roo wrote:It's a real guilty pleasure for me. Cruis'n USA - no question about it - is absolutely mince. But there is something about it that I enjoy. Maybe it's the commendably awful soundtrack. Or perhaps the hilarious lack of handling. Maybe it's just the fact that it looks like a dog's dinner. Truly, I consider it "crap but amazing".
+1.

Also the bikini girls. :D

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:23 pm

Pretty poor game really but if you like it I'm happy for you! :D

batman877

Post by batman877 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:52 am

And here they are in full...

Cruisn' USA (N64) (1996) - awful game, bad physics but still very addictive
Cruisn' World (N64) (1997) - slight improvement on the original, but gameplay flaws still present
Cruisn' Exotica (N64 NTSC only) (GBC) (2000) - Much better (on N64 at least) with more depth but still lacking compared to most other racers
Cruisn' Velocity (GBA) (2001) - Really poor, very slow gameplay - avoid
Cruisn' (Wii) (2007) - Motion controls tacked on to the 'Fast and the Furious' arcade game - fun for five minutes, but very glitchy

You could also try:

California Speed (N64 NTSC only) (1999) - very creative track design, but almost impossible to win if you make a mistake
Off Road Challenge' (N64) (1998) - this is identical in presentation and format to the Cruisn' games but just with 4x4s - quite fun