What year had the most good games out?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

jdanddiet

Re: What year had the most good games out?

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:39 pm

DigitalDuck wrote:
jdanddiet wrote:1986:-
Alien Highway, Batman, Bomb Jack, Cobra, Contact Sam Cruise, Dan Dare, Deactivators, Dandy, Druid, Dynamite Dan 2, Fat Worm, Ghostngoblins, Green Bert, Heartland, Jack the Nipper, Knight Tyme, Light Force, Rebelstar, Ping Pong, Quazatron, Saboteur, Spindizzy, The Great Escape, Thrust, Turbo Esprit, Uridium, Who Dares Wins 2, 180, Agent X, Firelord, StarStrike 2
, OutRun, Dizzy, Enduro Racer, Alex Kidd, Bubble Bobble, Joust 2, Wonderboy, Bounder, 720°, Arkanoid, Super Sprint.

Jeez, if you're going to talk about the greatest year in game history at least mention the best games.
i was talking from my own perspective, of course there were plenty more.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:15 pm

Another shout here for 1986 - no year comes remotely close. Yes, there are maybe some better games released in different years, but for sheer volume of greatness, '86 is it.

AmigaJay

Post by AmigaJay » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:05 pm

Sure there are some crackers from 86, and the volume of games may have hit it's peak, but I know what games I go back to time and time again, and if u went by sales alone on the few 1991 games I listed they are massive sellers, sure Outrun and Bubble Bobble are top games but they pale in comparison to Sonic, Mario and SF2, I know games most people will replay on emulators and digital downloads and it's the big 3 of 91!

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:10 pm

i think 88+89 for the speccy/c64..

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:49 pm

1987 -

Dungeon Master
Castlevania
Gryzor
Op Wolf
Head Over Heels
Pirates!
Maniac Mansion
Afterburner
Wings Of Fury
R Type
APB
Rambo
Auf Wiedersehn Monty
Rainbow Islands
Combat School
Feud
Gunship
IK+
Knight Orc
Wizball
Yes PM

To name but a few. '86 was great , but '87 just pipped it
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Mozza

Post by Mozza » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:14 pm

or possibly 1997 for Goldeneye, Final Fantasy VII, Starfox 64, Turok: Dinosaur Hunter, Grand Theft Auto, Blast Corps, the UK releases of Mario 64, Mario Kart 64.
http://lee-morris.blogspot.com/2011/07/ ... yprus.html - Some interesting stuff about Safe-houses in Resident Evil 4, Gameboy game trading, Emo fringes, parallel worlds in the Zelda series, prisons in games, gaming statistics.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:15 pm

Nah, '86 beats '87 although it's a damn close call.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:32 am

From my own perspective, 1994 was amazing: Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Probotector, Dynamite Headdy, Earthworm Jim, Mickey Mania, Castlevania: The New Generation, Shining Force II, Eternal Champions, The Lion King, Mega Bomberman, Micro Machines 2, Psycho Pinball, Pulseman, Sub-Terrania, Urban Strike, Zero Tolerance... And that's just the Mega Drive!

Donkey Kong Country was out on the SNES too, my one SNES-owning friend had that and said it was good.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Dam

Post by Dam » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:19 am

Liamh1982 wrote:'99?

Hydro Thunder, NBA 2K, Power Stone, Ready 2 Rumble, SoulCalibur, Mario Golf, Fatal Fury F-Contact, King of Fighters R2, Neo Turf Masters (NGPC), Sonic Pocket Adventure, Beetle Adventure Racing, The New Tetris, SW Episode I Racer, Bloody Roar 2, Gran Turismo 2 (still the best one!), ISS Pro Evolution (the real start of my love affair), Street Fighter Alpha 3, V-Rally 2.

And that's just in my hoard of games!
This just shows how subjective this is, becuase with the exception of SFA3 (even then that is far from my fave game in the series) I wouldn't play any of those games if you gave them to me for free.

For me its probably 1992 (or 1991 if you are talking about the jap release) with the launch of the SNES bringing Mario World, Pilotwings, Street Fighter 2, Zelda 3 etc thats my favourite era anyhow, although dprinny makes a good case for 1996 with the playstation in full swing and the N64 arriving (well at least in Japan again).

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:55 am

A lot of calls for 1986 & it's hard to argue with. The programmers had finally got to grips with a lot of what the speccy can do & the arcades hadn't quite got so far removed that they couldn't at least have a decent stab at replicating them on Sir Clive's humble machine.

Never mind computer games though 1986 was the best year EVER!

I was 10 years old without a care in the world. I hadn't started secondary school, Northern Ireland played in a World Cup finals, Barry McGuigan and Dennis Taylor became World Champions, Livin' on a Prayer & the Final Countdown were in the charts, Your Mother Wouldn't Like It, Jossy's Giants and Catchphrase were on the tele & I had a great "network" of schoolfriends with spectrum 48ks and more c90's than you could shake a software piracy is theft advert at.

Happy happy times.

Where the f--k have the last 25 years gone? :?
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

bernierubber

Post by bernierubber » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:06 am

1996 was a spetial year for me. too much fun

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:09 am

DPrinny wrote:A few games turned 15 this year (Nights, Duke 3d, Panzer dragoon 2, Mario 64 also fifa 96 and Batman the arcade came but dont hold them against it).

It got me thinking (very dangerous) what year had the most amount of great games out.

Not counting re-releases or ports.

So far I got 1996
Death Tank, Dragon force, Duke Nukem 3D., Fighters Megamix, Final Doom, Guardian Heroes, House of the dead, Last Bronx, Metal slug, Panzer Dragoon 2, Quake, robopit (I liked it), Saturn Bomberman, Sexy Paraoduis, Shining holy ark, Sonic 4, Street fighter alpha 2, Mario 64, Virtua fighter 3, Wipeout 2097, Soul edge, Scud race, Resident evil, Pilot wings 64, Pokemon, Neo turf masters, Mario kart 64, Nights
you forgot tekken 2 and wast fighters megamix a 1997 title ?
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:12 am

Depends how you're counting years - Fighters Megamix was out in 1996 in Japan..

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:19 am

Mootown wrote:Depends how you're counting years - Fighters Megamix was out in 1996 in Japan..
the year the game was released in the pal regions
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:55 pm

AmigaJay wrote:1991
We have a winner! Early to mid 90's had the best games '91 in particular was the best. Loads of cool 16 bit games plus the 8bits were releasing titles which pushed their systems to the max.