King of Collectors: Full Playstation 2 NTSC Library Sealed

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

Re: King of Collectors: Full Playstation 2 NTSC Library Seal

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:16 pm

I enjoy having a load of games waiting to be played (waiting to get my arse in gear and do some five minutes with with them)

I have one sealed game in my possession
Wheel of fortune on the game.com (it was a two pack with Fighters megamix)

I don't need to play it to know I hate it and will be putting it on Ebay when I find it

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:22 pm

I "own" about 3 PS2 games now.. :lol:
Logged out 15/07/2014.

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:23 pm

Eventhough I can't sanction such gigantic effort, kudos to the man if he was able to do this at age 23.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:26 pm

he doesn't own the games. The games own him.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:29 pm

^I agree.

What is the point? Paying $300 for a copy of Wizardry that'll never get played. Wonder how his wife puts up with it.

Much better to have unsealed, slightly battered stuff that can actually be played.

Having said all that, probably a good investment for his future, so swings & roundabouts and all that...

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:19 pm

An impressive feat but i echo the responses of everyone else. Massive waste of time and money if theyre never going to be opened. And if he wants to actually play them, hell end up having to buy a second copy which will cost him more.

Games are meant to be played. Films to be watched. Music to be listened to.
Open that sh*t up and experiance it.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Mr.Saturn

Post by Mr.Saturn » Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:41 pm

Tenuous pirate logic: Does this mean I can now pirate PS2 games in good conscience as I'm claiming the collector's play? Funny how clever notions come stupid once typed.

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:49 am

speedlolita wrote:I "own" about 3 PS2 games now.. :lol:
I don't own any! ;)
Just 89 of these funny plastic and metal discs in blue cases - they're fun though (well, most of 'em...).

A POX ON "SEALED" GAMES!!! :twisted:

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:47 am

your responses are lame. Why slate a guy who's achieved so much? The collection looks great, hes wasted loads of money fo sho, but being shot down because you don't agree with him collecting sealed games? poor.

Sooner or later you guys are going to have to realise people want to collect old games in the very best possible state, not to play, but to show. Sadly i fear none fo you will ever grasp that

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:56 am

More tenuous pirate logic: This is the reason why pirates buried all their treasure instead of spending it. Some collectors get all the satisfaction they want from just owning the collection.

While this is a particularly gargantuan example, as a collector myself (of Magic: the Gathering cards, not games) I do understand the appeal of owning something that's never going to see use, simply because it fills a slot. I have no problem using cards in my collection, but there are some - Juzam Djinn, Zodiac Dragon - that are both highly valuable, and too crap to ever use. That situation isn't a perfect analogy but the mentality is the same. He doesn't need to play them.

"At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your..." - yeah, what retrojc said while I was typing this.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:59 am

You can look at Magic: the Gathering cards thought

Games have to be played. Even the very bad ones

Xtincthed

Post by Xtincthed » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:05 am

retrojc wrote:your responses are lame. Why slate a guy who's achieved so much? The collection looks great, hes wasted loads of money fo sho, but being shot down because you don't agree with him collecting sealed games? poor.

Sooner or later you guys are going to have to realise people want to collect old games in the very best possible state, not to play, but to show. Sadly i fear none fo you will ever grasp that
this ^^

and a wise sealed collector once told me: "a stamp collector isn't laughed at because he isn't using the stamps to send mail, a coin collector isn't shunned because he doesnt buy stuff from his coins, so why should a game collector open and play his games?"
Dr. Retro's Video Game Channel
Website - Youtube - Facebook - Twitter
Playstation Collecting Community

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:06 am

retrojc wrote:your responses are lame. Why slate a guy who's achieved so much? The collection looks great, hes wasted loads of money fo sho, but being shot down because you don't agree with him collecting sealed games? poor.

I agree. While I don't personally see the point of devoting so much space and time to a collection like this, the guy is just doing something he enjoys. There's nothing 'right' or 'wrong' here and it's nobody's place to put down people who do this.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:14 am

When it comes to collecting i dont mind people buying ornaments or display pieces since the intention of them is to be looked at and admired.
This guy has certainly achieved something pretty awesome and dont me wrong, if i ever met him id be the first to give him a high five. Im sure it was a great journey for him and kudos on having the passion and dedication to pursue such a feat.

But speaking from the point of view of someone who actually wants to play games and who therefore buys games with the sole purpose of playing them rather than them acting as display pieces, its sheer insanity and a massive waste of money IMO. Forking out $300 for a sealed copy of Wizardry which as far as i know isnt even that rare is just crazy. I dont mind people aiming for full unsealed collections because at least theres the chance youll play a whole load of them.

So no, i suppose ill never grasp the idea of people buying thousands of games for the purpose of sitting on a shelf.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:22 am

If I can reteact slightly (only slightly mind)...
It's his money, he can do what he wants with it.

BUT...

It's something I don't get and don't think I ever will. Sorry... :|