Bleak moments in games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Antiriad2097

Re: Bleak moments in games

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:07 pm

As I'd like to see a retro answer, I'll say Armageddon Man.

The whole game is rather bleak, but starts off with at least some hope you'll achieve peace. As it progresses, the inevitable slide towards destruction starts and despair set in. Eventually you're fighting odds, clinging to survival.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:20 pm

Zelda: majoras mask : the whole damn game!
world of warcraft: upside down sinners (requires a bit of world exploitation to see)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deGXddZ7Y2Y
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:40 pm

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: The whole game! You wander an unfriendly wasteland filled with mutants, warring factions and radiation. Its a constant fight for survival. The once lush fields are nothing more than dead land filled with hazards and its every man for himself in a pursuit of greed.

Shadow of the Colossus: The empty world just makes me feel sad. Even with your horse you feel so incredibly alone.

Kings Field IV: Same as above, just a constant sense of lonliness. The few people you encounter tend to meet their fates shortly after and the ruins of the city you wander are littered with dead knights, having failed their own quests. One particularly bleak portrait is of the sick mother and her child, awaiting the return of their father who went seeking a precious stone that would cure the mothers illness. You find him later crushed under rocks in the mine, gripping the stone.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:03 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:As I'd like to see a retro answer, I'll say Armageddon Man.

The whole game is rather bleak, but starts off with at least some hope you'll achieve peace. As it progresses, the inevitable slide towards destruction starts and despair set in. Eventually you're fighting odds, clinging to survival.
Space Invaders. Wave after wave of aliens intent on destroying your planet - shoot one lot and another appears, and another and another until... :(
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:39 am

^ And Missile Command of course - those cities are all going to get wiped out at some point or other by nuclear bombs (an especially bleak thought in the early 80s - didn't one of the programmers suffer constant horrific nightmares about nuclear holocaust for ages while making it)

Revenge of Shinobi's 'bad ending', if you don't beat the final boss before the lowering stone ceiling crushes your girlfriend to death behind you.

Alundra - don't think I was far into the game at all by the time half the cast of villagers had been killed off! The death of the old bloke who takes you in to stay with him was a particularly moving moment.
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:00 am

At the end of Splatterhouse (Arcade) the mansion is destroyed, your girlfriend is dead (apparently) and the mask you used to survive breaks off your face, so you basically get nothing except survival. Then the credits roll to sombre music.

Global Defense Force (PS2) tries to add a sense of helplessness at the end of the game, with the person writing the mission desciptions giving up on humanity's survival- the descriptions are peppered with things like, "There's nothing left to say, except for saying prayers" and ."Due to the almost-zero chance of success, anyone who does not wish to participate in this mission will not be forced to do so". It's a bit hammy, though.

Also, Chimera Beast is a fairly bleak game as all you do is destroy other eco-systems as an intergalactic Eater. In particular, the 'normal' ending is a bit of a shock, as you doom the entire planet:
Eventually, they'll undoubtedly reach the Earth.
And you'll have to live with the knowledge that what led them there was... you.
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:57 am

delbert_trout wrote:Alundra - don't think I was far into the game at all by the time half the cast of villagers had been killed off! The death of the old bloke who takes you in to stay with him was a particularly moving moment.
I was going to mention that one too but i was a little afraid of giving away spoilers!
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

mrmarvelxiii

Post by mrmarvelxiii » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:14 am

Farenheit on the xbox was just the most depressing video game experience I've ever been through... I hated it and I rarely say that about games. Some games do bleak in such a way that it achieves its bleakiness but doesn't send you to the nearest pharmacist for doses of valium; Majora's Mask is definitely one of those kinds of games (the healthy bleak kind), Silent Hill 2 is another. Games can be bleak and fun when there are other things going for it... Farenheit was just plain bleak... seriously doubt I'll try heavy rain.
Chazz it up!!!

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:25 am

Lemmings. Never have so many small furry animals died graphically for comedic effect. Dad was actually disgusted when he saw it.

I was also kinda sad that Granny Kong had died at some point between Donkey Kong Countries 2 & 3 (her ghost appears in 3). Poor Kranky.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Mozza

Post by Mozza » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:42 am

I always liked the sense of remoteness in the Metroid games, especially in the original one on the NES. Feels like you're lost in a surreal labyrinth. I had similar feelings watching Logan's Run. I quite like that feeling of complete abandonment. Turok Dinosaur Hunter was good for that too. The later levels of Turok and Turok 2 are almost devoid of anything. Just corridors of nothing.
http://lee-morris.blogspot.com/2011/07/ ... yprus.html - Some interesting stuff about Safe-houses in Resident Evil 4, Gameboy game trading, Emo fringes, parallel worlds in the Zelda series, prisons in games, gaming statistics.

Commander Jameson

Post by Commander Jameson » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:52 am

Heavy Rain - that bit between installing it, and then completing it.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:41 am

Grizzly wrote:Zelda: majoras mask : the whole damn game!
world of warcraft: upside down sinners (requires a bit of world exploitation to see)
Best part of Majora's was definitely when you only have 12 hours or so left to go and that really bleak "oh sh*t the world is ending" music plays, definitely moving!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Grizzly

Post by Grizzly » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:03 am

RetroMartin wrote:
Grizzly wrote:Zelda: majoras mask : the whole damn game!
Best part of Majora's was definitely when you only have 12 hours or so left to go and that really bleak "oh sh*t the world is ending" music plays, definitely moving!
the music was definately a highlight in the game. The part that stood out for me most was when you had the two being married minutes before the moon hits. Sad stuff
I write for...
Check us out for news, reviews and features on the blackest of consoles.Image

Mr.Saturn

Post by Mr.Saturn » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:13 am

Commander Jameson wrote:Heavy Rain - that bit between installing it, and then completing it.
Ding Ding.

I'd go for Tale of Tales' The Path, whose sole objective is essentially kill off your five main characters.

tekaotaku

Post by tekaotaku » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:48 pm

SNATCHER (MegaCD) has a fantastic bleak moment near the final act, its just a shame I cant reveal it here as its a MASSIVE spoiler and everyone should play this game.

Go on play it, play it NOW! damn you all....
Image - "still barking at the silver moon!"