Bleak moments in games

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Mozza

Bleak moments in games

Post by Mozza » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:04 pm

Which games, or moments from games would you say were the bleakest or most grim? Created the strongest sensation of despair, or left you feeling helpless or marooned?

#Spoilers#

Red Faction - After your 'man in the ear piece' Hendrix is killed and you have to go it alone with no guidance or contact.
Red Faction 2 - The final stage after you've killed off your own team-mates.
Rad Gravity (NES) - Almost a precursor to what happens in Portal, and a rip-off of what happens in 2001: A Space Odyssey. On 'Telos', the final level. Your computer turns on you and you have to destroy it. You feel isolated throughout the game as it is.
Portal - after you've completed the challenges and sort of 'busted out' after GLaDOS has tried to shove you into the pit of fire as your 'reward'.
Final Fantasy VI - After the world has been destroyed, when Celes is marooned on an island, and tries to take her own life by jumping off the cliff.
Manhunt - The boss fight with the chainsaw wielding Man-Pig in the mansion. Its a tad surreal and very grim.
http://lee-morris.blogspot.com/2011/07/ ... yprus.html - Some interesting stuff about Safe-houses in Resident Evil 4, Gameboy game trading, Emo fringes, parallel worlds in the Zelda series, prisons in games, gaming statistics.

joefish

Re: Bleak moments in games

Post by joefish » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:10 pm

The ending of Mario Galaxy is pretty shocking.
And the last-but one or two chapters of Mama's story book are tragic.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:20 pm

Halo Reach - You fight the good fight, watch your companions sacrifice themselves and manage to deliver the all important package. The Pillar of Autumn jets off-planet and it shows a shot of your Spartan watching it leave, left behind. That was a really powerful scene imo

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:29 pm

joefish wrote:The ending of Mario Galaxy is pretty shocking.
And the last-but one or two chapters of Mama's story book are tragic.
Exactly what I was going to say. The story book is amazingly sad. I couldn't believe it when I heard that Miyamoto had tried to veto it's inclusion in the game (believing, possibly with some justification, that 'Bowser kidnaps Peach' is more than enough plot for a Mario platform game).

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:39 pm

Driller on the spectrum was bleak in a lonely, stark kind of way. Its the Tarkovsky of early 3D adventures maaan. :wink:
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:41 pm

Ghosthunter.

The swamp level was pretty bleak and lonely with very atmospheric music and amazing visuals.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:11 pm

PSO, or in fact any ORPG - the bit when you realise that when your character has reached the max level that all that time has been wasted on a cahr you will never loose again

gman72

Post by gman72 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:48 pm

Im playing Condemned 2 at the moment and that game paints a pretty bleak picture of city life I can tell you. A Drab, run-down city populated with crazed crack heads hell bent on f**king your sh*t up and a washed out alchoholic hero who would sooner mug you than help you... We Love Katamari it aint.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Nemesis

Post by Nemesis » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:50 pm

The opening to Silent Hill is tremendously bleak. In fact the whole game was the same way.
Oh and if you want to do little social experiments on our forum don't post about them on your own you plum - Darren@Retro Gamer

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:56 pm

I find Metro 2033 to be a very bleak game, humanity hiding in the underground network but can't venture into the tunnels without getting attacked by some monstrous creature or another and then there is radiation and toxic pools everywhere.

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:04 pm

I'm currently playing Alice: The Madness Returns, I'm well into Chapter 4 out of six chapters in total. The game is starting to hint at some very dark and disturbing adult themes being explored here. I reckon I could be in for one of the bleakest endings in gaming history. Put it this way, I'm no longer expecting a win.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:35 pm

I'll plump for Condemned. While it isn't the best game I've ever played, it's certainly a contender for the most atmospheric.

Most of the game is bleak. Every single environment is decrepit and uninviting in some way, and you're constantly on edge as you're often very likely to be attacked out of nowhere by a screaming lunatic brandishing a crowbar or other such weapon who comes charging straight at you out of the shadows. The level set in the disused mall particularly got to me as there's a section with some old shop mannequins and of course, some of them are crazies waiting to bash you over the head the minute you walk past them.

And for those of you who don't think that's bleak enough, the games 'collectibles' mostly consist of dead birds.

My mind was actually blurring the line between reality and fantasy with it all, I can tell you, and I actually felt myself wishing for a bit of in game daylight (or even just rooms with a bit more lighting in) at many points.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:48 pm

I still think the nuclear detonation scene in COD4 was very well done.

Killzone 2 - the end when you realise you've just unleashed an entire sh*tstorm on yourself ready for the next game!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:50 pm

Seeing Cloud rocking back and forth in that wheelchair in Final Fantasy VII :(

harlequ1n

Post by harlequ1n » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:57 pm

Silent Hill 2 - the whole game.
Amnesia: The Dark Descent - the prison...