The curse of the unrelated sequel

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

JetSetWilly

Re: The curse of the unrelated sequel

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:12 pm

JazzFunk wrote:Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone?

Yes, it's a side-scrolling beat 'em up but feels absolutely nothing like first two games (moves are different, look is different, gameplay is different. Plus, it's irredeemably abysmal and absolutely no fun to play, unlike the first two. SNES Super Double Dragon should really've been Double Dragon 3.
That game was pure b0llocks. A joke that wasn't funny at all. And they had the cheek to bundle it with the pure brilliance that is Rodland as well.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

HEAVYface

Re: The curse of the unrelated sequel

Post by HEAVYface » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:30 pm

AlleyKat wrote:
JazzFunk wrote:I could also say Strider 2 on the Megadrive but that does (kind of) follow the gameplay template of the original, except it's an abortion of a game that both insults the original AND is the polar opposite of that title in terms of 'game soul', such an empty, horrid grind that feels like some hellish budget Amiga game from Finland.
:lol: The scary thing is, if it HAD came out on the Amiga, been by Team 17 or the Bitmap Brothers and called, I dunno, Future Ninja Warrior, or something you can guarantee there'd be some people still trying to say it was as good as/better than Strider. See the likes of Superfrog, Project X etc.

*Disclaimer- I do love the Amiga, but its baffling how overrated some of its second division cloneware is.*
theres a hell of a lot of truth in those two posts. powerful stuff!