The curse of the unrelated sequel

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

the_hawk

Re: The curse of the unrelated sequel

Post by the_hawk » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:01 am

The one that springs to mind for me is Impossamole.

I loved the old Monty Mole games (especially Auf Wiedersehen Monty) but what they turned him into was a horrible generic 90's video game character "Let's make an animal with attitude for da kidz" *shudder*

He's a superhero because kids who like computer games like superheros & there's aliens too ...wait, what?

As for the game itself, it was much slower, with more colour clash & ropey collision detection.

Boo!

COOL!

COOL!

COOL!

NOT COOL!
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:32 am

Renegade 3 anyone? Still a beat 'em up, yes, but the shift in tone and gameplay was bewildering. Probably seemed a good idea down the pub.
the_hawk wrote:The one that springs to mind for me is Impossamole.

I loved the old Monty Mole games (especially Auf Wiedersehen Monty) but what they turned him into was a horrible generic 90's video game character "Let's make an animal with attitude for da kidz" *shudder*
That spate of mascot clone games was bloody awful, but theres something really depressing about Monty Mole's desperate makeover. :(
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:35 am

JazzFunk wrote:Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone?

Yes, it's a side-scrolling beat 'em up but feels absolutely nothing like first two games (moves are different, look is different, gameplay is different. Plus, it's irredeemably abysmal and absolutely no fun to play, unlike the first two. SNES Super Double Dragon should really've been Double Dragon 3.

I could also say Strider 2 on the Megadrive but that does (kind of) follow the gameplay template of the original, except it's an abortion of a game that both insults the original AND is the polar opposite of that title in terms of 'game soul', such an empty, horrid grind that feels like some hellish budget Amiga game from Finland.
I assume Super Double Dragon is counted as being DD4, since it was the only major release in the series between DD3 and DD5.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:37 am

AlleyKat wrote:Renegade 3 anyone? Still a beat 'em up, yes, but the shift in tone and gameplay was bewildering. Probably seemed a good idea down the pub.
Gawd NOW you're talking. Target: Renegade was awesome, one of my favourite Speccy games at the time but someone thought... "I know what this game needs......DINOSAURS!"
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:44 am

the_hawk wrote:
AlleyKat wrote:Renegade 3 anyone? Still a beat 'em up, yes, but the shift in tone and gameplay was bewildering. Probably seemed a good idea down the pub.
Gawd NOW you're talking. Target: Renegade was awesome, one of my favourite Speccy games at the time but someone thought... "I know what this game needs......DINOSAURS!"
It wasn't just that - the graphics were so cartoony and Captain Caveman in tone, which was all wrong for the kind of gritty fighting game Renegade had always been.

Renegade 3 seemed to fundamentally get everything that was good about the first two games wrong. It was as if they'd been designing some kind of Hannah Barbara licence and decided to stick Renegade in it instead at the last minute.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

joefish

Post by joefish » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:05 am

Dan Dare III on the Speccy. Technically and graphically a good Speccy game, but it was a re-skin of a completely unrelated game that had been submitted for publication. The authentic, reserved graphical style of the first two was gone and replaced by squat, garish sprites and silly monsters that bore no relation to the source material.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:10 am

the_hawk wrote: Image
NOT COOL!
"Impossamole" as in, he looks more like a pig?

The two Zillion games on the Master System are weird ones. The first is a Metroid-ish puzzle game against the clock, whilst the sequel is your standard run&gun thing.

Possibly also the first two Earthworm Jim games, where the first is a straight (ish) platform adventure thing, with the second being more like a selection of minigames. Maybe.

Also the Alex Kidd games! From Mario-ish (but better) platforming, to scrolling arcade platforming, to walking around a big castle answering questions, to Shinobi-esque ninja action, to BMX riding, and then back to being a platformer again.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Dunjohn

Post by Dunjohn » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:17 am

Never played either the original or the sequel, but the latest issue of RG talks about Dune II so I may as well mention that and look cool and knowledgable.
It's called a MEGADRIVE

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:55 pm

I quite enjoyed playing Dino Crisis 1 and 2 on the Playstation. They were survival horror games, quite similar to Resident Evil, although you fought against dinosaurs instead of zombies.
When the Dino Crisis 3 was released on the X-Box I was surprised by how different is was to the first two games. Part 3 takes places in space on board a satellite, where you fight dinos, armed with laser guns and jetpacks(!).
It is quite weird, but still a fun game.
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:43 pm

"Unrelated" in a different sense: Atari's decision for the Return Of The Jedi arcade machine to depart from the vector graphics of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. The games trilogy felt "disjointed" due to that in my opinion.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:44 pm

Renegade 3 gets my vote too, disgraceful change of direction

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:51 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:"Unrelated" in a different sense: Atari's decision for the Return Of The Jedi arcade machine to depart from the vector graphics of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. The games trilogy felt "disjointed" due to that in my opinion.
Empire arcade actually came after Jedi arcade.... just to make it even more disjointed :lol:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:11 pm

SexyWayne wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:"Unrelated" in a different sense: Atari's decision for the Return Of The Jedi arcade machine to depart from the vector graphics of Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back. The games trilogy felt "disjointed" due to that in my opinion.
Empire arcade actually came after Jedi arcade.... just to make it even more disjointed :lol:
Good point! :mrgreen:
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

crusto

Post by crusto » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:18 pm

Flashback and Fade to Black, brilliant to bollocks in one generation.

Streetfighter 1 and 2 - from wtf? to pure class.

Moto roader 1 and 2 - Essentially the same idea, but implemented far better in the original.

Joe Montana football and JM sports talk football. Complete change of viewpoint, loads more polish, more playable - better game.

Eat your nans pants

mrmarvelxiii

Post by mrmarvelxiii » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:19 am

Resident evil 4 gameplay wise is in a whole different ball park than its predecessors, but what a ballpark. Then Resident Evil 5 is another unrelated sequel in that unlike all its predecessors, it sucks :)

Banjo Kazooie Nuts n Bolts. From amazing platformer to amazing build-em-up and race game. A completely different kind of game, but full of the same quality and humour that excuded (is that a word?) on the N64 platformers :)
Chazz it up!!!