The curse of the unrelated sequel

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Ferret Oxide

The curse of the unrelated sequel

Post by Ferret Oxide » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:02 pm

I was playing Superkid a little while ago, and I really like that game. It successfully portrayed the idea of being an invincible superhero. At least within the confines of an 8-bit game. For the sequel, however, Atlantis created a bland platformer in space. Superkid now had a store of lives, couldn't fly and had to use a laser gun. It felt like a completely different game had been branded with the Superkid name, reskinned and released as a sequel despite any relation to the original.

Similarly, Jack the Nipper 2 is nothing like the original. Variety in a sequel is obviously a good thing, but surely there should be more continuity than the character name?

Do you disagree? Or can you think of other examples of this?

thl

Re: The curse of the unrelated sequel

Post by thl » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:15 pm

The one that springs in mind is Super Mario Bros 2. Although the gameplay is different to its predecessor, it's originally based on the Famicom port of Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic. This time changing the sprites of the main characters and altering the stage structures.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:35 pm

Cosmic Ark on the 2600 is the sequal to Atlantis and they are nothing alike and then you also have Alien Brigade on the 7800 which is the sequal to Planet Smashers and they are also nothing alike.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:04 pm

thl wrote:The one that springs in mind is Super Mario Bros 2. Although the gameplay is different to its predecessor, it's originally based on the Famicom port of Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic. This time changing the sprites of the main characters and altering the stage structures.
Absolutely. Talk about a money grabbing excuse of a sequel to cash in on the first game's popularity in the West. As you rightly have stated, it wasn't even a Super Mario Bros. game. A truly shameful attempt to trade on the coat tails of the first game's reputation/popularity by exploiting the fanbase.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:15 pm

Though i havent played it myself Alundra 2 as far as i know doesnt have anything to do with the first.
You arent Alundra, you are a pirate called Flint and you arent fighting Melzas. On top of that all the lovely 2D visuals have been replaced with some really ugly 3D models that look like crap.

If you arent Alundra i dont see why it can be called Alundra 2.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:31 pm

Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone?

Yes, it's a side-scrolling beat 'em up but feels absolutely nothing like first two games (moves are different, look is different, gameplay is different. Plus, it's irredeemably abysmal and absolutely no fun to play, unlike the first two. SNES Super Double Dragon should really've been Double Dragon 3.

I could also say Strider 2 on the Megadrive but that does (kind of) follow the gameplay template of the original, except it's an abortion of a game that both insults the original AND is the polar opposite of that title in terms of 'game soul', such an empty, horrid grind that feels like some hellish budget Amiga game from Finland.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:03 am

The Way of the Exploding Fist - a classic one-on-one fighting game.
Fist 2: The Legend Continues - a scrolling action game. :shock:
Exploding Fist + - a return to the original formula but with the addition of an extra fighter à la IK+.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:36 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
thl wrote:The one that springs in mind is Super Mario Bros 2. Although the gameplay is different to its predecessor, it's originally based on the Famicom port of Yume Kojo: Doki Doki Panic. This time changing the sprites of the main characters and altering the stage structures.
Absolutely. Talk about a money grabbing excuse of a sequel to cash in on the first game's popularity in the West. As you rightly have stated, it wasn't even a Super Mario Bros. game. A truly shameful attempt to trade on the coat tails of the first game's reputation/popularity by exploiting the fanbase.
you rather play the insanely hard orginal smb 2 which differs very little from the original smb in graphical terms
or play that truly shamefull attempt\sanctioned by nintendo rom hack which has since then been absorbed by the mario franchise ?

on topic
star fox adventure and assault are not really all that what you expect from a star fox game

the saga series which is just all over the place including the punishing unlimited saga
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:16 am

snowkatt wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
you rather play the insanely hard orginal smb 2 which differs very little from the original smb in graphical terms
or play that truly shamefull attempt\sanctioned by nintendo rom hack which has since then been absorbed by the mario franchise ?
I've played both games and didn't think either was worthwhile for the reasons we've highlighted.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:21 am

As recently featured in RG, Zorgon's Revenge on the Oric is predominantly a platform game. Of the various screens available, only one is a shmup and its the most enjoyable to play. Its prequel, Xenon 1 was a full on shmup and much better for it.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:26 am

Wizkid is an arcade adventure with some Arkanoid thrown in - completely unlike its shoot-'em-up predecessor, Wizball.
I Ball 2 was a single-screen platform game, whereas the first I Ball was a vertically scrolling shooter.
Soon you will have forgotten all things: soon all things will have forgotten you. (Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, Book 7)

killbot

Post by killbot » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:00 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:Absolutely. Talk about a money grabbing excuse of a sequel to cash in on the first game's popularity in the West. As you rightly have stated, it wasn't even a Super Mario Bros. game. A truly shameful attempt to trade on the coat tails of the first game's reputation/popularity by exploiting the fanbase.
I think that's a bit harsh. For one thing, Doki Doki Panic is actually a pretty good game, so it's not like western gamers were lumbered with a load of old tosh. Secondly, I think it was astute of Nintendo to recognise that while Japanese gamers were happy with a sequel that was little more than a new set of levels with the (already high) difficulty level ratcheted up considerably, that wouldn't fly with US and European gamers.

Personally I quite like the western SMB2 (though it is clearly the weakest of the NES Mario games). I've never played the Japanese version, though I do own it (or at least the All Stars remake) - I might dig that out tonight.

But, y'know, at the risk of sounding like I'm leaping to Nintendo's defence again they're far from being the only ones to reskin an old game to cash in on some kind of popular licence. Dynamite Deku being released in the west with the Die Hard licence splashed all over it springs to mind. But the prize for laziest reskinning must go to James Bond: The Stealth Affair (the US version of Delphine adventure game Operation Stealth) which simply replaced 'John Glames' (the original game's protagonist) with 'James Bond' in the dialogue. They didn't even change the intro to the game, in which Bond apparently gets his orders from the CIA chief instead of M.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:04 am

JazzFunk wrote:Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone?

Yes, it's a side-scrolling beat 'em up but feels absolutely nothing like first two games (moves are different, look is different, gameplay is different. Plus, it's irredeemably abysmal and absolutely no fun to play, unlike the first two. SNES Super Double Dragon should really've been Double Dragon 3.

I could also say Strider 2 on the Megadrive but that does (kind of) follow the gameplay template of the original, except it's an abortion of a game that both insults the original AND is the polar opposite of that title in terms of 'game soul', such an empty, horrid grind that feels like some hellish budget Amiga game from Finland.
Double Dragon V is even more unconnected being a one-on-one fighter, and it's even worse than DD3!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:24 am

killbot wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:Absolutely. Talk about a money grabbing excuse of a sequel to cash in on the first game's popularity in the West. As you rightly have stated, it wasn't even a Super Mario Bros. game. A truly shameful attempt to trade on the coat tails of the first game's reputation/popularity by exploiting the fanbase.
I think that's a bit harsh. For one thing, Doki Doki Panic is actually a pretty good game, so it's not like western gamers were lumbered with a load of old tosh. Secondly, I think it was astute of Nintendo to recognise that while Japanese gamers were happy with a sequel that was little more than a new set of levels with the (already high) difficulty level ratcheted up considerably, that wouldn't fly with US and European gamers.

Personally I quite like the western SMB2 (though it is clearly the weakest of the NES Mario games). I've never played the Japanese version, though I do own it (or at least the All Stars remake) - I might dig that out tonight.

But, y'know, at the risk of sounding like I'm leaping to Nintendo's defence again they're far from being the only ones to reskin an old game to cash in on some kind of popular licence. Dynamite Deku being released in the west with the Die Hard licence splashed all over it springs to mind. But the prize for laziest reskinning must go to James Bond: The Stealth Affair (the US version of Delphine adventure game Operation Stealth) which simply replaced 'John Glames' (the original game's protagonist) with 'James Bond' in the dialogue. They didn't even change the intro to the game, in which Bond apparently gets his orders from the CIA chief instead of M.
That John Glames/James Bond story is comedy gold so thanks for sharing it! :lol:

Fair enough that those other games were essentially reskins. As standalone titles that's one thing but it could be said Nintendo took a significant gamble with Mario's reputation by releasing the version of SMB2 they did in the West, i.e. while not necessarily a bad game it evidently wasn't anywhere close to being in the same league as SMB was. I'm obviously no Nintendo historian but I imagine plenty of SMB fans in the West back in those days didn't bother buying SMB2.

Having just checked Wikipedia (so it must be true! :mrgreen: ), I see SMB sold over 40m copies on NES while SMB2 sold only 10m copies. Was SMB a pack-in game for NES though?

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:22 am

JazzFunk wrote:I could also say Strider 2 on the Megadrive but that does (kind of) follow the gameplay template of the original, except it's an abortion of a game that both insults the original AND is the polar opposite of that title in terms of 'game soul', such an empty, horrid grind that feels like some hellish budget Amiga game from Finland.
:lol: The scary thing is, if it HAD came out on the Amiga, been by Team 17 or the Bitmap Brothers and called, I dunno, Future Ninja Warrior, or something you can guarantee there'd be some people still trying to say it was as good as/better than Strider. See the likes of Superfrog, Project X etc.

*Disclaimer- I do love the Amiga, but its baffling how overrated some of its second division cloneware is.*
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?