Galaga Legions DX (XBLA/PSN)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sureshot

Re: Galaga Legions DX (XBLA/PSN)

Post by Sureshot » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:18 am

As the huge Galaga fan I am, I picked this up. It's good fun but really it could have been called anything else - it's pretty much nothing like Galaga at all.

BF Bullpup

Post by BF Bullpup » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:18 am

The demo reeled me in and I just bought it for my PS3. Nothing like Galaga except for the non-default graphics, but the gameplay is good fun. I always love shooters with dual joystick controls.

It seems impossible to lose all of your ships in Normal mode (with the slowdowns and all) unless you are really suicidal, so I'll be playing the game on Hard from now on for better challenge and scores. If you're looking for a start-to-end game you won't enjoy this. If you like finding new ways to kill space bugs and get higher scores and ranks, then this is a great game for you. If you're a seasoned PS3 shooter veteran just go to Hard difficulty once you have gotten the basics down.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:05 am

Sureshot wrote:As the huge Galaga fan I am, I picked this up. It's good fun but really it could have been called anything else - it's pretty much nothing like Galaga at all.
I played the demo and arrived at that conclusion too. I've seen numerous other people who've bought the full game repeating the same comments too. Maybe I'll get the game once it inevitably hits the Special Offers section on PSN as I love shmups but this game just seems to be using the Galaga name to justify its price tag. In the meantime I'll happily continue playing some of the many other fine shmups in my collection and look forward to saving a few quid on this game somewhere down the line. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:58 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:
Sureshot wrote:As the huge Galaga fan I am, I picked this up. It's good fun but really it could have been called anything else - it's pretty much nothing like Galaga at all.
I played the demo and arrived at that conclusion too. I've seen numerous other people who've bought the full game repeating the same comments too. Maybe I'll get the game once it inevitably hits the Special Offers section on PSN as I love shmups but this game just seems to be using the Galaga name to justify its price tag. In the meantime I'll happily continue playing some of the many other fine shmups in my collection and look forward to saving a few quid on this game somewhere down the line. :D
How is the Galaga name being used to justify its price tag? The game is 800 Microsoft points, same as a lot of other games on XBLA. It would have been 800pts without the Galaga name attached.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:04 pm

Crunchy wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
How is the Galaga name being used to justify its price tag? The game is 800 Microsoft points, same as a lot of other games on XBLA. It would have been 800pts without the Galaga name attached.
I don't know about XBLA as I don't have an Xbox 360. Perhaps the Galaga name isn't being used in the way I commented so maybe I was a bit harsh in that respect. I still look forward to buying the game in the future though. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:11 pm

Bumpity bump - there's a score tournament; get the highest score on Championship Area over the tournament period (11th to 22nd of November) and you win... well, bragging rights, I guess.

It's also been updated with a new skin, if that gives you a little more incentive.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design