Galaga Legions DX (XBLA/PSN)

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

C=Style

Galaga Legions DX (XBLA/PSN)

Post by C=Style » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:10 pm

So, did anyone pick this up?. I've played the demo and it's pretty sweet, nothing like Galaga at all and that's no bad thing. I didn't get on particularly well with the original Legions but this feels a lot nicer with the ability for 360 degree fire. For 800 points I think you could do a lot worse!

crusto

Re: Galaga Legions DX (XBLA/PSN)

Post by crusto » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:50 pm

Does it come bundled with the original pce version? Cos that would be nice.

Eat your nans pants

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:19 pm

This is worth picking up if you want a fast blast in pursuit of highscore. The tricky positioning of the satellite ships that featured in Galaga Legions has gone and the emphasis of the game has shifted from survival to speed. The upshot of this is that the game is less strategic but much more of an adrenaline pumper. The controls are much improved.

Each area features five levels and in a very good example of time pressure game mechanic you basically blast through the first four levels as fast as you can so you've got more time available to blast through the last level's 99 waves as fast and as far as you can. Level five is where most of your scoring is done.

It isn't traditional Galaga but it's every bit as satisfying.

I consider this the game that completes XBLA's trilogy of quick play highscore games that are worth having just for when you've got half an hour or so and want something fast and furious you can get straight into. The other two games being Pacman CE DX and Bejeweled Blitz.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:47 pm

Does anyone here know when this game, or even just the demo, is coming to PSN?
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:59 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Does anyone here know when this game, or even just the demo, is coming to PSN?
Namco's press release for today's XBLA release just says "coming soon" as far as PSN is concerned.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:25 pm

Is it anything like the original Galaga? I just finished playing through that and it drove me mental :lol: way too difficult

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:32 pm

Crunchy wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:Does anyone here know when this game, or even just the demo, is coming to PSN?
Namco's press release for today's XBLA release just says "coming soon" as far as PSN is concerned.
Cheers. :)
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:03 pm

Rayne wrote:Is it anything like the original Galaga? I just finished playing through that and it drove me mental :lol: way too difficult
The only definite thing this game has in common with the original is that you can use the graphics from the original. There might be one or two spot effects from the original game in there maybe.

Galaga Legions DX is like Pacman CEDX in that the game isn't difficult to get through. I cleared Championship mode on my first attempt ... but with a mediocre score. Completing each Area is straightforward (and will net you easy Achievements if you're that way inclined) but getting a good score will take practice and some decision making in how you play each wave.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:06 pm

So how does the game's scoring system work then? Is it about chaining, shooting aliens in a different/specific order or pattern, etc...?

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:28 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:So how does the game's scoring system work then? Is it about chaining, shooting aliens in a different/specific order or pattern, etc...?
Enemy formations pile in and you either slot the enemies individually or hit the formation's associated master enemy which kills the entire formation in a chain reaction. Hitting the masters, either directly or with a secondary explosion from shooting a bomb enemy, is the fastest way to clear the wave but killing individually scores double points. It's speed or score basically. Lots of strategy involved in maximising the waves for score using those two basic factors. Bear in mind you need as much time on level 5 as possible. It's a tricky balancing act. The attack patterns usually give you a way to cane a wave really fast. Learning when to shoot and when to be patient is going to be what seperates the scores at the top by the look of it. You score bonus points if you take out a full wave or formation very quickly using only a few shots. It's a very speedy game.

This has grabbed me a lot quicker than Galaga Legions did. Legions was all about learning where to place your satellite ships, it was a very tactical game. Legions DX is a much more "go for the throat" experience. Your ship does more damage if you're close to the enemy so you tend to get stuck right in and you know there's no time for faffing about anyway if you want a decent score.

I'm still in the learning period, of course. I've grasped the basics and sorted a few obvious strategies. Liking it so far though.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:58 pm

Sounds fun so here's hoping the price isn't too high. If it's high then I'll gladly wait until it hits the Special Offers section of PSN just as I did when purchasing Pac-Man CE DX. I've not played Galaga Legions on PC Engine yet although I do have the rather excellent Galaga '88 for that console. :D

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:22 am

Great fun. Unfortunately I'm crap at it, but I'm still enjoying my E ranks.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:42 pm

Well I haven't bought it yet myself but I had another go of it last night and I think I'm going to have to. It has some really nice playability and graphics, I also like the slowdown feature when you come close to an enemy like in Pacman DX.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:00 am

So, after a few more hours spent on the game it all suddenly clicked for me. I've gone from "enjoying it" to "loving it".
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:31 am

That's good to hear I'll look out for your scores on the leaderboards. 8) I bought this in the end but I still need to give it some quality time, but from what I have played it is really good so far.