Stand out moments

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

malekith1979

Re: Stand out moments

Post by malekith1979 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:29 pm

Well I can't seem to remember as many as you fine guys cos I think old age is getting to me at last! Truly stand out moments only seem to come around once in a blue moon IMO but here goes:
-First time I played Star Wars in the arcade when i was about 5 years old. For those fleeting vector moments coupled with the(at the time) super sound, I WAS Red 5!
-Doing the batmobile level on my uncles A500, and then coming to the inevitable conclusion that my spectrum version just wasn't the same :lol:
-Playing Resi Evil for the first time on my mates PS1, and realising that I really needed to have richer parents, or get a job (I did the latter!).
-Got to agree with Rinoa about Silent Hill 2, although I liked the bit where you first meet Pyramid Head and you have to hide in the cupboard. Seeing him approaching through the slats was awesomely pant wetting!
-"Attack of the Fishmen" in Dark Corners of the Earth. Without doubt the most terrifying chapter in any game I have ever played.
Theres probably others but I don't wish to bore you rigid! Thanks for reading :) (If you did)

mrmarvelxiii

Post by mrmarvelxiii » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:36 pm

malekith1979 wrote:
-Playing Resi Evil for the first time on my mates PS1, and realising that I really needed to have richer parents, or get a job (I did the latter!).
Did you consider the 1st option... just knocking on some rich families mansion and asking if they'd adopt may have worked :lol:

A similar moment for me, but my friend had Resident Evil 2 and I was intensly jealous. I miss the old Resi games :cry:
Chazz it up!!!

malekith1979

Post by malekith1979 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 4:16 pm

mrmarvelxiii wrote:
malekith1979 wrote:
Did you consider the 1st option... just knocking on some rich families mansion and asking if they'd adopt may have worked :lol:

A similar moment for me, but my friend had Resident Evil 2 and I was intensly jealous. I miss the old Resi games :cry:
Damn! I never thought of that, oh if only to have the wisdom of age when I was a teenager! Agree with you about older Resi games. I miss them too, Code Veronica was the last outstanding one IMHO.

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Wed Jul 13, 2011 5:04 pm

malekith1979 wrote:-"Attack of the Fishmen" in Dark Corners of the Earth. Without doubt the most terrifying chapter in any game I have ever played.
I never managed to finish that part of the game, it was too difficult and stressy. :(
Ken sent me.
Do the Kirby dance: (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')>

malekith1979

Post by malekith1979 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:32 pm

Gibberish Driftwood wrote:
malekith1979 wrote:-"Attack of the Fishmen" in Dark Corners of the Earth. Without doubt the most terrifying chapter in any game I have ever played.
I never managed to finish that part of the game, it was too difficult and stressy. :(
Yes it was rather difficult wasn't it? I remember it took me many a go to get away and I was very chuffed when I did manage to escape. Although my chuffedness was shortlived when i realised the game was bugged to high heaven. Nice idea though. At least it didn't make me bite my pad in frustration like Silent Hill Homecoming did. I have related the story before in these fine forums but suffice to use the equation:
Horrendously difficult doll boss+stingy health packs+unskippable cut scene before each try= much misery and potential dental surgery. Killed my enjoyment of the game! Still, I'm tentatively looking forward to Downpour and REALLY looking forward to the HD redos of 2 and 3 that I hear are coming later in the year.

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:39 am

The dollboss was hard as nails. Took me about five tries before I managed to beat her.
Ken sent me.

malekith1979

Post by malekith1979 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:16 pm

Gibberish Driftwood wrote:The dollboss was hard as nails. Took me about five tries before I managed to beat her.
Oh I wish I were as good as you mate, I thought I had her beat and then she went all spider leggy and got EVEN HARDER. Cue death and another cut scene. I want to see the end damn you! Any tips please email them to Leighmungous@hotmail.co.uk. :D

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 1:59 pm

malekith1979 wrote:Horrendously difficult doll boss+stingy health packs+unskippable cut scene before each try= much misery and potential dental surgery. Killed my enjoyment of the game!
Sounds like my experience of Metroid Prime, where a long traipse to a hard boss that was a dull slog of rinse & repeat battling just left me without the will to continue.

A shame as I was mostly enjoying it up to that point.

It reminds me of one of its literal flashes of genius, where certain lighting would see 'your' face reflected in the visor.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Gibberish Driftwood

Post by Gibberish Driftwood » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:04 pm

This youtube video shows you how to do it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTmgk98DVJs
Ken sent me.

malekith1979

Post by malekith1979 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:09 pm

Gibberish Driftwood wrote:This youtube video shows you how to do it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTmgk98DVJs
Thanks v much for the link! I'm gonna try and get hold of Homecoming again on pre-owned. This sure looks like it's going to be a big help for me :D . Just finished Silent Hill 2 (again) so i need another game to play. I still only managed the c"£p ending (again).
Cheers! 8)

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:56 am

The first time the 'Achievement Unlocked' flashed up on my 360. I genuinely had no idea what it meant. But then realised what a great idea it was once I understood.
Last edited by crusto on Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eat your nans pants

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:22 pm

crusto wrote:The first time the 'Achievement Unlocked' flashed up on my 360. I genuinely had no idea what it meant. But then realised what a great idea it was once I understood what it meant.
Really? I don't own a 360 but do have a PS3 so when I first experienced the equivalent (Trophies) I thought it rather "meh". I still do to be honest. Not sure what the fuss is all about really.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:26 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:
crusto wrote:The first time the 'Achievement Unlocked' flashed up on my 360. I genuinely had no idea what it meant. But then realised what a great idea it was once I understood what it meant.
Really? I don't own a 360 but do have a PS3 so when I first experienced the equivalent (Trophies) I thought it rather "meh". I still do to be honest. Not sure what the fuss is all about really.
It does seem that way on the ps3 imo. Plus it came around quite a while after the achievements. The 360 implements it better imo.

Eat your nans pants

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:32 pm

crusto wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:
It does seem that way on the ps3 imo. Plus it came around quite a while after the achievements. The 360 implements it better imo.
Are Achievements better than Trophies then?
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:37 pm

For me they are implemented better and personally I prefer them, it feels more satisfying to see 'achievement(s) unlocked' appear and linger on screen for a while rather than the quickfire trophy variation. But they are essentially the same. Its all about opinion.

Eat your nans pants