Stand out moments

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RichL

Re: Stand out moments

Post by RichL » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:14 pm

Super Shinobi yeah - I used to take the screws out of the Japanese carts and plug the ROM directly into my Megadrive- ah, happy days!!

ESWAT, Golden Axe, Hellfire and Super Shinobi, all on my import Christmas list back when the Megadrive was released in the UK, the free copy of Altered Beast never got a look in!!

crusto

Post by crusto » Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:52 pm

I didnt like hellfire all that much tbh. I am more of a thunderforce fan personally.

Eat your nans pants

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:14 pm

Seeing Jet Set Radio Future in the Dixon's storefront and my jaw dropping. I'd never seen Cell-Shading before and I couldn't believe you could actually play a game that looked like that :lol:

Seeing the Metal Gear Solid trailers for the first time too. The amazing musical score, the astounding graphics, cool characters, it was all so exciting I couldn't wait to get my copy.

Watching my Charmander pop out the Pokeball in Pokemon Red. It didn't matter that it looked a bit rubbish or it was awkward to play, in that moment I was beginning my first (of many...) pokemon journey!

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:56 pm

The Settlers - watching my builder create a frame and slowly assemble the building from the ground up.

How to be a complete Bastard - opening an umbrella inside and the effect it had on my character.

Barbarian - Decapitating my opponent for the first time and watching the little guy kick the head off-screen.

Dynasty Warriors 2 - Seeing so many people on screen, it felt like there really were two armies clashing.

Turbo Esprit - knocking some poor guy off his ladder.

RichL

Post by RichL » Fri Jul 01, 2011 1:25 am

crusto wrote:I didnt like hellfire all that much tbh. I am more of a thunderforce fan personally.
I'd forgotten about Thunderforce III, how could I? But I also got that too a little later on.

Mozza

Post by Mozza » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:43 am

#Spoilers#

Super Mario 64 - Seeing it in Comet and picking up the pad and resuming play. Mind blown by the 3D graphics. Wandering round the castle and taking a dip in the water was incredible.
Red Faction - Your 'man in the earpiece' Hendrix turning against you then having to kill him and continue on alone.
Final Fantasy VI - The whole few hours of gameplay after the first world is destroyed. Celes jumping off the cliff, the old man dying, finding the world in disarray then gradually reassembling your team. So bleak.
Final Fantasy VII - Plenty of moments, but a couple that stand out are getting the Highwind for the first time, beating the Face Wall and leaving the Temple of the Ancients, and Cloud discovering that he was just a grunt and had been projecting himself as Zack in his memory of Nibelheim.
Resident Evil 4 - Sneaking through the darkened room as Ashley and being chased by Armour suits. Terrifying.
Zelda: Ocarina of Time - The twisting corridor in the Forest Temple, seeing the market town for the first time as an adult full of zombies.
Zelda: Majora's Mask - Inverting the Stone Tower Temple.
http://lee-morris.blogspot.com/2011/07/ ... yprus.html - Some interesting stuff about Safe-houses in Resident Evil 4, Gameboy game trading, Emo fringes, parallel worlds in the Zelda series, prisons in games, gaming statistics.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:51 am

Mozza wrote:Red Faction - Your 'man in the earpiece' Hendrix turning against you then having to kill him and continue on alone.
What? That never happened to me. On my playthrough he ends up getting blown to pieces when hes hacking a terminal thats been boobytrapped by masako and her mercanaries.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:57 am

Super Metroid The start-of-game boss and the escape from the space station.
Super Mario Bros. The first time I broke through the ceiling on World 1-2, thinking I was clever for being able to run up in the score area, panicking slightly when I thought I wouldn't be able to get down, then realising that it was intentionally put in as a shortcut.
Sonic Adventure The killer whale.
Prince of Persia Completing the PC version in under an hour for the first time.
The Simpsons Arcade Convincing four friends to come all the way to Southsea just to play the game and pick up the police car on the first level.
Hologram Time Traveller Seeing the game in demo mode at an airport and being completely awe-struck.
Sonic Blast Man 2 Upsetting my mum by getting her to take her picture on the machine, before smacking the hell out of it.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs

Mozza

Post by Mozza » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:20 am

ShadowNeku wrote:
Mozza wrote:Red Faction - Your 'man in the earpiece' Hendrix turning against you then having to kill him and continue on alone.
What? That never happened to me. On my playthrough he ends up getting blown to pieces when hes hacking a terminal thats been boobytrapped by masako and her mercanaries.
Mmm, well that is what happens. I think I may have confused my memory of it with a similar bit from Metal Gear Solid 2 or perhaps Manhunt or Hitman: Contracts. I'm surprised by that actually. I could have sworn Hendrix turned sinister.
http://lee-morris.blogspot.com/2011/07/ ... yprus.html - Some interesting stuff about Safe-houses in Resident Evil 4, Gameboy game trading, Emo fringes, parallel worlds in the Zelda series, prisons in games, gaming statistics.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:05 pm

Mozza wrote:
ShadowNeku wrote:
Mmm, well that is what happens. I think I may have confused my memory of it with a similar bit from Metal Gear Solid 2 or perhaps Manhunt or Hitman: Contracts. I'm surprised by that actually. I could have sworn Hendrix turned sinister.
I played through it about 3 or 4 months ago. Almost certain he doesnt turn bad. Your making your way through the mercanaries base with him and he goes inside some room to mess about with a terminal or a computer. You then get the mercanary leader Masako speak to you through your comms, she says something about him being a traitor to Ultor and she blows up the room.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:02 am

It's the original Sonic for me seeing Green Hill Zone for the first time - the sheer speed of the thing, gorgeous graphics and things like hearing the water going in the background etc, running round the loops and spindashing through walls ..... thought it was absolutely gobsmacking stuff after only having seen games on 8-bit microcomputers prior to that.
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

mrmarvelxiii

Post by mrmarvelxiii » Sat Jul 02, 2011 9:37 am

Super Mario World- "You are a super player!" :) gosh!
Ocarina of Time- Just turning the bloody thing on on Christmas day.
Resi 4- Seeing the castle for the first time and just knowing that the game is about to get 100x better.
Link to the Past- Seeing the dark world for the first time on top of the pyramid.
Lylat Wars- Beating it by going through the toughest route and seeing the best ending.
The Warriors- Smashing someone's head into a wall! I could do that again and again and again and...

There really are too many. you play games all your life, you certainly stack up some "stand out moments" :)
Chazz it up!!!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:58 am

Hearing the voice of the character Obi-Wan Kenobi telling me to use the Force that very first time playing Star Wars (Atari) in the arcades all those years ago. WOW!
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:47 pm

Playing WipEout on the PS1 for the first time. My jaw dropped to the floor when I saw the intro! Prior to that, the only game we had that was close to this was Another World on our good ol' Amiga 1200 :-)

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:07 pm

Mozza wrote:
ShadowNeku wrote:
**Spoiler**

The guy in the earpiece in The Conduit on Wii turns on you, near the end of one of the early levels, as you emerge from a underground bunker to find Washington DC in ruins..